It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our legal system has become obsolete !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
For this particular thread, I'd like you to listen to Rod Serlings own OP. I'm only posting the first part of this episode because the opener is significant to the thread.. You can watch the rest of the episode on you tube if you so desire.

Because of the advances in technology, CG most of all
I put as much faith in our legal system and in turn our media now days, as I did the National Enquirer when I was a kid. You can't even be sure of any evidences at all unless you personally witnessed them. That's the only way I believe anything.
Now if we apply that to our kangaroo court system. How can anyone be found guilty ? Of anything ? All evidence can be fabricated and a willingness of a corrupt court system to do so can be proven. I couldn't cast a vote of guilty in any court in America. Unless I was a witness at the same time I was a juror.
That's what technology has brought us too. A legal system that is beyond obsolete.

Care to talk about it ?
edit on 18-7-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Interesting idea...

I can't watch videos so don't have that but I'd submit the problem is not with the legal system per se so much as it is with the continuing degradation in the concepts of Honor and Integrity that pervades the culture.

There have been corrupt courts and cops since either of these were invented, and many innocents have paid the price for this corruption.

The changes in technology just make it easier.

The fundamental problem is that Honor and Integrity are no longer much valued in the society... too many people are focused only on what they can get away with and what profit they can squeeze out of any situation for themselves (not necessarily money profit).

So I disagree that these changes in technology have made the legal system obsolete. I'd argue that the system has been obsolete for a couple of decades, due to the reasons stated above. The technology changes just make it easier for the corruption to proceed.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Open_Minded Skeptic

Indeed you live up to your moniker in your post. Indeed I agree it is the heart of mankind that must change.
I just don't see that happening in this present age. Technology has made corruption much easier to employ.
I think you actually agree.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Thanks for posting that video... it was a very APT episode of an excellent series.

S+F

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErtaiNaGia
reply to post by randyvs

Thanks for posting that video... it was a very APT episode of an excellent series.

S+F

Serling was prophetic as well as a master. An amazing series that is to this day unique.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I have said for a long time a have no faith in the concept of law anymore. Unless the law can be evenly applied to all peoples that are subject to it, then it has no credibility in my eyes and I no longer even think it should be called "law".

Clearly we see in our legal system that wealth is more important than morality. In other words, doing the right thing can easily be overwhelmed by a large sum of money. Not only that, but wealth actually is more important than the legality of something.

This to me is an important distinction. Just because something is morally the right thing to do, doesn't mean that its legal. But we now see that a person can blatantly break the law and get away with it, as long as they have the right amount of money.

Ironically, this seems to be "equal" in the sense that wealth transcends traditional forms of discrimination. Although at the poor level race or age or gender etc. may play a role in how the court system percieves you, once you're wealthy enough, none of that matters.

I think your tech point is very interesting. To me, new tech hasn't created this problem, but it makes it so much easier. Whereas before enough money would have been able to convince someone to lie for you, or make evidence disappear, now you can just make your own evidence through CGI etc.

I do not know what the solution is, but I will say that I have almost no respect for the law and instead try to act on my own code of morality. I personally try to not judge someone very quickly just because they have been found guilty or innocent of a crime. I think that if everyone started to realize the law is a sham and we all started acting with things like integrity and morality when dealing with each other then we can start to change our perverse notion of the law.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
For it to be obsolete now we have to believe that it was at one time not obsolete.

Anything less than absolute perfect infallibility with regards to the power to punish is unacceptable.

The current legal system or any system prior is far from perfect.

It was broken, inefficient, ineffectual, obsolete from day one.

But we just tolerate it.

Because we are broken, inefficient, ineffectual and largely obsolete.

This of course assumes we believe the system performs certain tasks which are: deterrence, punishment and rehabilitation.

I can bring in a stack of studies that have taken place since the beginning of man keeping records that supports none of these goals are actually accomplished.

If we step back and look at the legal system as a way to manipulate large groups, to righteously confiscate property, to appease a fearful populace with illusions. Then it's working very well and not at all obsolete.

I guess my point is define the legal system because what it actually is and what you are led to believe it is may be completely different.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Grambler

Grambler that was an excellent response. I have only this to add. I can see leaking cracks in the dam that is our legal system of this country. Very soon that dam will break and wash away everything America once stood for.
I don't see a good time a..

Thanks Gram.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
For it to be obsolete now we have to believe that it was at one time not obsolete.

Anything less than absolute perfect infallibility with regards to the power to punish is unacceptable.

The current legal system or any system prior is far from perfect.

It was broken, inefficient, ineffectual, obsolete from day one.

But we just tolerate it.

Because we are broken, inefficient, ineffectual and largely obsolete.

Very true, anything less than perfection is unacceptable. But I'm sure we agree that because we are broken this is impossible.

Although there may have never been a time when this was the case, and there never will be, I think we still need to strive for that perfection.

I also think that things are worse now in our legal system than they have ever been. I seem to recall stories of wealthy losing court cases back in the day, corporations weren't people, etc.

But maybe not. Maybe this is just me viewing the past from a revisionist history, and in reality it has always been this bad. regardless, I stand by my claim I at least refuse to respect the current system, and will not judge people based on its terms.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Grambler

I stand by my claim I at least refuse to respect the current system, and will not judge people based on its terms.

"Logic is an enemy and truth is a menace. "

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I think that there is a better Twilight Zone episode that fits your points about technology & the legal system even better. Ironically, it also starred Burgess Meredith. "Time Enough at Last" about a man who loved books, but lacked the time required to fully persue his passion. Ultimately, after a hydrogen bomb brings about the apocalypse, he finds himself all alone and with all the books and time he ever dreamed of... as his glasses (without which he is blind as a bat) fall off his face and shatter, leaving him with time, books, and no way to actually read them. That is the modern justice system. The law itself is represented by the library full of books, modern technology is the time needed to read (analyse) everthing in the books, and the broken glasses are a great representation of the modern political horsecrap generator which effectively ensures our justice system is handcuffed and incapable of not just taking advantage of the technology, but is essentially unable to even apply the law in its most rudimentary forms.

The government, specifically the supposed "representatives" (I laugh) in the government are the disease, the law is much like the rest of the country, sufferers of the disease, just left waiting around to be killed by it.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Hey Burdman, That's an amazing break down. I am very familiar with that episode, as well as all the episodes with
Meredith in them. He was around for so long I think either him or Cal Worthington, one or the other were actually the
devil. Most likely Cal, seeing he is still with us to this day.
Burgess Meredith is a favorite. Thank you for the tip and I have to agree with you. Here's part 1.

edit on 19-7-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

Ha Ha I remember as a kid I use to think " Why did he marry that woman ? "

Since I joined here i seem to have gotten his same disease.
edit on 19-7-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join