It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canary Islands.. 3 forest fires on 3 of the islands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I posted this thread, because aside from the wonderful El Hierro thread, not much going on in the Canaries gets mentioned here much, I love the place, and it's been quite busy recently...

There are apparently three forest fires on three different Canary islands. La Palma, Tenerife, and La Gomera.

Update 16/07/2012 – 08:28 – The forest fires which started on the island of Tenerife yesterday (Sunday, 15th July 2012) is currently affecting around 1,200 hectares and has two active fronts. two days,

Update 16/07/2012 – 14:22 – A fire has now been declared on the island of La Palma. The emergency 112 services reports that there is a fire in El Paso, on the island of La Palma. The alert was received at 11:47.

Update 16/07/2012 – 21:00 – A small fire has been declared in the area of Alajeró in La Gomera. For now, reports suggest that it not significant, but the high temperatures, strong winds that rages in the area, consisting of palm trees and grasses, could make the fire spread quickly.

Source Canaries News

Island thermal images

Three separate fires, on three separate islands!

While I'm here though, could someone who knows a bit more about volcanic islands have a look at this:
Tenerife Quake

And this:

A quake on Tenerife right on good old Tiede..
1.9mag. Pico del tiede

I'm not even the tiniest remotest bit close to an expert on these things.. but I've got this feeling that magma tried to come up underneath el hierro again, failed for whatever reason, and is now making the other islands a little shakey..
If I'm wrong, tell me I'm wrong, and explain why. I really want to learn, but that pick up in activity on most of the islands seems odd..

edit on 18-7-2012 by Deplume because: More info added[

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Deplume

Parts of these islands are extremely dry during summer season, so I bet that was the main cause.
There was a huge forest fire on gran canaria a year or two ago as well.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Deplume

I read a report this morning that Spain had its driest season in about 60 years. Good luck to all those effected.

new topics

join