It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Dark Knight Rises, AKA Occupy Gotham

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I've been reading several reviews, and a fair amount of spoiler info for this movie over the last twelve hours or so, and the more I read, the more appropriate one critic's label of "Occupy Gotham," seems to have become. Although work for the script started before the first OWS protest, it's actually hard to believe that it was a coincidence. Apparently Batman and Bane fight literally on the steps of the Stock Exchange.

Are a lot of other people here planning on seeing the film? It's going to be out on Friday here in Australia I think; I will probably try and see it either then or the weekend. I've been looking forward to it.

I am curious, though, about what Occupy supporters feel that this film is likely to do to the public's perception of the movement. Bane is a terrorist whose ultimate agenda is to destroy the city, yet apparently he initially tries to engage with the citizens in a seemingly positive way. One critic mentioned the promised establishment in the film of a "Gotham Commune," but I have no idea whether or not that was a figure of speech.

Thoughts?

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I have my tickets booked for Friday. Can't wait.

Similarities were also made between The Dark Knight, and what happened Pre-9/11 and Post 9/11. Joker being a terrorist that wants to do just that, cause terror and chaos for no apparent reason (No plan or anything), and Batman not being able to do anything “with all his strength” to be able to stop him, short of just killing the Joker and losing all he stands for. Because ultimately Batman loses in the end of the film (the same way America, with all it’s strength, tried to battle terrorism, but has ultimately lost the fight?)

Either way, most won’t look at it past being a super epic superhero movie, which it will be, and I’m included in that group if I’m honest.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Pretty obvious and blatant messaging emanating from this Batman series, either as a reflection of the times it is being made in or deliberately. In particular that the poor are a security threat to be attacked and that the rich men and corporations that they run are our savior.

Reg sums it up rather well.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

I'm not planning on seeing it. I am one of those heretical people who feels these Batman movies are overblown and melodramatic. I saw Batman Begins and thought, "That was ok", the I saw Dark Knight and was just annoyed. It was so long, so over dramatic. I just didn't like it. Frankly, I'm sick of all these comic book movies.

But, on to the meat of the subject. I'm not an OWS supporter or hater. I really just don't give a damn about it. It doesn't matter, it had it's 15 minutes and now it's pretty much over. (Mind you this opinion does not spare me the hatred from the righties around here.) I heard about this plotline point last year when they released stills from the post production work. There is something funny I've heard though, Ole Lard Ass Limbaugh claims "Bane" is a dig at Mitt Romney. I'd say he's jumped the shark but he did that a long time ago.

The real problem with reading too much into this plot line is that OWS is just done. It's over, it doesn't matter anymore. If there is some reactionary proletariat violence it's not going to be from OWS as it's just falling apart.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Peruvianmonk
reply to post by petrus4

Pretty obvious and blatant messaging emanating from this Batman series, either as a reflection of the times it is being made in or deliberately. In particular that the poor are a security threat to be attacked and that the rich men and corporations that they run are our savior.

Reg sums it up rather well.

After watching this, I found another video.

It's possible that Bats might have a bit more of the 99% in him, than would be obvious at first glance.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia
reply to post by petrus4

I'm not planning on seeing it. I am one of those heretical people who feels these Batman movies are overblown and melodramatic. I saw Batman Begins and thought, "That was ok", the I saw Dark Knight and was just annoyed. It was so long, so over dramatic. I just didn't like it. Frankly, I'm sick of all these comic book movies.

That was how I felt about Harry Potter, truthfully, so I can relate. I saw the first two movies and felt extremely bored. If you don't like something, you don't like it, so that's fine. Personally however, I've bought a copy of The Dark Knight DVD, and my DVD collection only has around three other movies in it; so that possibly gives you some idea of how I feel about the series.

The real problem with reading too much into this plot line is that OWS is just done. It's over, it doesn't matter anymore. If there is some reactionary proletariat violence it's not going to be from OWS as it's just falling apart.

I can agree with this. Yes, Occupy.com is still ticking over with some news, but I saw how the movement basically evaporated overnight, once the police really started to become violent. The people just didn't have the stomach for being pepper sprayed, bashed, and incarcerated for even 24 hours or so.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by petrus4

Did this murderer, James Holmes, have serious qualms with the Batman Series or a particular obsession with the dark side of characters in the film?

A highly educated, nerdy, reclusive kind of person dies his hair and hands red and calls himself the Joker? It seems like he was living out a fantasy he could not resist to me.
edit on 20-7-2012 by Peruvianmonk because: Spelling

new topics

top topics

join