It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MegaUpload judge quits case following 'enemy' comments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   

MegaUpload judge quits case following 'enemy' comments

news.cnet.com

The judge in Kim Dotcom's extradition case has stepped down after making comments that the U.S. government was "the enemy."
After making remarks critical of the U.S. government's attempts to strengthen international copyright law, the judge at the center of MegaUpload founder Kim Dotcom's extradition proceedings has stepped down from the case.

Judge David Harvey called the U.S. government "the enemy" at a conference this week. He has now made the decision to remove himself from the case, according to the New Zealand Herald
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nzherald.co.nz
edit on Jul 22nd 2012 by Djarums because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I think this has been taken out of context , but I do believe the US & New Zealand law enforcement agencies have totally stuffed up this case .
Sure he has profited from traffic generated by pirated material linked to his servers but he did not put that material on his file sharing network , when a complaint was made about copyright infringement he removed those links. It is like blaming the company who has built a road being prosecuted for people who exceed the speed limit on that road .

Link
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 18-7-2012 by pillock because: bad link

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Methinks the NZ judge got a very large dose of how the "Good Ol' USA" operates behind closed doors.

Good for him, it's heartening, to say the least, that some of the major players in this case are waking up to it's ridiculousness. How DARE the US attempt to prosecute foreigners. If this situation was reversed America would be crying foul and whinging to high heaven about how no US citizen should be prosecuted by a foreign government.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Years ago there were whispers between "leaders" regarding the coming shift from agricultural and industrial to informational economies.

At that time they realized that copyright and intellectual properties could not be 'seized' for commerce because national 'sovereignty' established legal boundaries which made it impossible for a corporation chartered in one nation to extend its control outside that nation.

Shortly thereafter, key corporations began remolding their multi-national status and influencing so-calleld "global" legislation in international commerce and trade.

When you hear people decrying the "New Word Order" and "globalists elite" - these are the architects of the paradigm they wish enforced... perpetual ownership and revenue from 'non-physical' property.

Sadly, the judge in this story is playing right into the strategy by identifying the 'enemy' as a nation... rather than the corporate monstrosities whose domain extends now beyond any nations borders... their reach is only exceeded by the financial industry who wins no matter how this turns out.

But I know how media loves to identify all evil things with a nationality.... as if that made a difference.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Sadly, the judge in this story is playing right into the strategy by identifying the 'enemy' as a nation... rather than the corporate monstrosities whose domain extends now beyond any nations borders... their reach is only exceeded by the financial industry who wins no matter how this turns out.

But I know how media loves to identify all evil things with a nationality.... as if that made a difference.

Who is enforcing these tactics? The US government. Dotcom didn't wake up to a platoon of Corporation Soldiers, he woke up to a raid led and enforced by the F.B.I. with the help of local law enforcement.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
Who is enforcing these tactics? The US government. Dotcom didn't wake up to a platoon of Corporation Soldiers, he woke up to a raid led and enforced by the F.B.I. with the help of local law enforcement.

Actually, with all due respect, you have the cart before the horse there.

It is not the U.S. enforcing it... the FBI operates with the permission and consent of the local government. If they are not refusing the effort... it is they who are failing to maintain your sovereignty.

Most recognize that the FBI are the political/corporate police in the US... where they get their authority from in another country is not the US. (Strictly speaking.. this power to "enforce" law overseas is relatively new... like the MPAA and the RIAA SuperPAC membership)

You think the USA benefits somehow from this? It doesn't... politicians and corporations might... but the citizens here are under the same yoke... and not in anyway calling for the expense of US tax-dollars to protect private companies assets overseas....It's not like they have a voice in the matter.... They never did.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by pillock

"a secretive, multi-nation trade agreement that threatens to extend restrictive intellectual property laws across the globe".

Hardly the case....I mean look how they treat you...Mr. boogey man.

I see him being made out to be an "axis of evil" type. He has honor and integrity. I can imagine that people who are critical of any US policy are enemies in this day in age to paranoid and simple people.

I guess it goes to show the vile and undeserving nature of our current leadership. They would rather have a big stick with their own people than a sensible and open dialogue from the citizenry they represent.

The funny thing is they go to expensive schools to pin labels like "anti-American" on people when a common jackass could do it. I don't know if I am brilliant but I could have made up better BS on this judge than that.
I am sure most could....

that is a person of honor.

I doubt he said his country was the "enemy" that is the same BS language we have come to laugh at from the boogey man detector/ policy makers.

It is actually a little retarded.

In any event.....I am glad. If we all had integrity for our beliefs we would have a good world. Instead we have people who make justifications like "necessary evils" and " the way it is" to act like cowards in the face of the real enemy.....indifference and complacency.

edit on 18-7-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Information economy -- it goes back to Plato and the "Greek Miracle" defining Natural Law as the convergence of property, patents, math and technology.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Stepping down was a cop out then. What a coward.

If he is a judge he should have stated in court, under no circumstances should anyone be extradited to the US.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by pillock

The judge pointed out that under the terms of the Digital Millenium Copyright act and the Trans Pacific Treaty, that to attempt to "region code" all media would be an infringement of the law, making what the US based distribution companies were intending, illegal.

This would incriminate the US based distribution companies in New Zealand.

The US based distribution companies have been very lax in their interpretation of the law, attempting to criminalise others while ignoring the fact that they are actually bound by the same laws.

Originally, copyright was mechanical (automatic), going ONLY to the creator of a work and not transferable to third parties. Due to pressure by large established distribution companies (who were in violation of copyright from their first day), the law (in the US) has been diluted and redefined so that the distribution companies are now claiming rights that are eminent over the creator of the work!

It is in this regard that the judge mentioned that the US was "the enemy", probably in response to someone else referring to the Megaupload people as "the enemy".

The judge was preparing an academic summary of the consequences of international copyright and this case could be seen to prejudice his impartial publishing of that work. That is the reason he gave for stepping down.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

I understand what you are saying & agree 100% .... but
I think he was also taking a pot shot at the way the NZ police bowed down and basically lubed themselves up for the FBI. The raid with the AOS and other elite police via air drops and land based force was greater than an armed standoff with a violent offender . Also that the FBI cloned all the computer hard drives that were confiscated in the raid without the police knowing . Basically the USA law enforcement agencies that demanded the raids , who have no Jurisdiction here, ran the show and the NZ police just bent over and took it up the @$$

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
che bro!
always get common sense from a kiwi!

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Maybe this will expand a bit for those unaware....

The kicker was Megabox would cater to unsigned artists and allow anyone to sell their creations while allowing the artist to retain 90% of the earnings. Or, artists could even giveaway their songs and would be paid through a service called Megakey. “Yes that’s right, we will pay artists even for free downloads.

The Megakey business model has been tested with over a million users and it works,” Kim Dotcom told TorrentFreak in December. Megabox was planning on bypassing the labels, RIAA, and the entire music establishment.

m.techcrunch.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by WaKingLieFE
Maybe this will expand a bit for those unaware....

The kicker was Megabox would cater to unsigned artists and allow anyone to sell their creations while allowing the artist to retain 90% of the earnings. Or, artists could even giveaway their songs and would be paid through a service called Megakey. “Yes that’s right, we will pay artists even for free downloads.

The Megakey business model has been tested with over a million users and it works,” Kim Dotcom told TorrentFreak in December. Megabox was planning on bypassing the labels, RIAA, and the entire music establishment.

m.techcrunch.com...

FORBES even came to their senses to cover this conspiracy!

www.forbes.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by WaKingLieFE

spot on

Big music moguls pooing their pants , loosing billions of dollars to fair trade
This whole thing is a set up and Kim is the fall guy .
He seems like a really nice guy to me .
edit on 19-7-2012 by pillock because: spelling

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
che bro!
always get common sense from a kiwi!

Thanks buddy
kiwis normally think outside of the box & are a logical bunch

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by BIHOTZ

read a copy of the leaked TPP treaty the US is trying to get all of North America to sign onto.... They have been secretly negotiating for 2 years.

www.citizen.org...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
This case has the potential to blow up in the Hollywood lobbyist face. If DotCom wins there will be about a Gazillion mega-uploads out there immediately after the verdict.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by pillock
reply to post by chr0naut

I understand what you are saying & agree 100% .... but
I think he was also taking a pot shot at the way the NZ police bowed down and basically lubed themselves up for the FBI. The raid with the AOS and other elite police via air drops and land based force was greater than an armed standoff with a violent offender . Also that the FBI cloned all the computer hard drives that were confiscated in the raid without the police knowing . Basically the USA law enforcement agencies that demanded the raids , who have no Jurisdiction here, ran the show and the NZ police just bent over and took it up the @$$

Yeah, the judge may have been pointing sarcastically at the "Kiwi Kops/Mc Donalds Mercenaries"
, but I think that there are other, less-disclosed and even more pertinent details in what the distribution crooks are suggesting they will attempt to enforce on the world.

The distribution companies mandate is, plainly, to support their business model only and thereby to prevent any alternate possibility of free and fair trade.

We can't let the crooks make the rules.

That's why the judge is concerned about this case being prejudicial to his greater goal.

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I think Kim is not guilty of any crime. Eventually the US will have to admit that this bunch did not do anything but cooperate with authorities. They took down offending links when requested by copyright holders. This is more like a story that should have been a civil suit at most not a federal case gone international in scope. There was no legal basis for the take down. That is just the facts. The judge is pussing out in my opinion. He is under pressure from the US because they have no legal leg to stand on. The US corpgov will use every means possible in this case because they are representing a large financial interest of the US. The USA does not produce much but the entertainment industry the financial industry and the military industrial security complex. You see Hollywood bring in a quarter of a billion $s on a given weekend and you start to see the money power involved in protecting those profits. Protecting US based multinational companies with US police powers is how the US rolls. If it moves tax it. If it keeps moving regulate it and if it quits moving subsidize it. What a country.

new topics

top topics

join