It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syrian defense minister killed in suicide blast

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Syrian defense minister killed in suicide blast

www.chron.com

Updated 05:32 a.m., Wednesday, July 18, 2012

BEIRUT (AP) — Syria's state-run TV says the country's defense minister has been killed in a suicide blast in the capital.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Wednesday's attack struck the National Security building in Damascus during a meeting of Cabinet ministers and senior security officials. State-run TV said some of the officials were seriously wounded and later reported the defense minister killed.

Bad news.

Opposition now using suicide blasts? New tactic or Islamic radicals responsible?

West is seeking Assad's ouster...

www.chron.com

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Bad news for Assad and co. I wonder what effect, if any will this have on the N.A.T.O. vote tonight.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by amcpwoy

Opposition now using suicide blasts? New tactic or Islamic radicals responsible?

I thought the only people who did that kind of thing were called terrorists.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:07 AM
link   
They're going to start openly using chemical weapons soon enough...How many loyalists does he have left fighting in the city?

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by R6A6W6

That's like saying all people who self-immolate are monks, just last week a Jew lit himself on fire just to protest about rising costs...

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   
He was a Orthodox Christian for that the rebels have lost the support even in twitter people are angry and so i am

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sounds_of_Silence
They're going to start openly using chemical weapons soon enough...How many loyalists does he have left fighting in the city?

Probably a lot of Russians and Iranians for starters, who knows, maybe heaps of them. Can you prove the chemical weapons thing? Its probably another WMD ruse.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by amcpwoy

Well according to that fromer Syrian ambassador to Iraq, Nawaf Fares, the Assad administration has been in cohots with Al-Qaeda in previous bombings and no-one was killed in them.

In an interview with The Sunday Telegraph, Nawaf Fares, a senior Syrian diplomat who defected to the rebel side asserted that the Assad regime was responsible for a major act of terror in Damascus, which was blamed at the time on al-Qaida.

In the interview with Telegraph correspondent Ruth Sherlock, Fares claimed that the regime set up the bombing of a military intelligence headquarters in al-Qazzaz, ensuring that personnel at the base absented themselves minutes before the explosion, and that the only casualties were civilians. “All these major explosions,” Fares told the Telegraph, “have been perpetrated by al-Qaida through cooperation with the security forces.” A degree of scepticism is useful, of course, in evaluating Fares’s statement. He is a newly minted enemy of the regime, and has an interest in blackening its name.

www.jpost.com...

This guy has now come out and admitted to Syrian co-operation with Al-Qaeda in Iraq in bombing attacks on US forces. He is basically everywhere right now, making claims left, right and centre.
edit on 18-7-2012 by Peruvianmonk because: Layout

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

Defectors have been known to big claims once they defect in which they can never prove
So far the defcetor claims that Assad will use chemical weapons is proven false.

Why you think he would only give interviews in Qatar? its one thing admitting it and its another trying to prove it with proof which i doubt that he has any.

What his doing is just fitting in with the narrative of the mainstream news outlets.
edit on 18-7-2012 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

He said they would use Chemical weapons if they feel cornered. Assad & co either do not feel cornered at this time or the claim could be incorrect, either way it is not a straight line from what the former ambassador said to whether it actually happens or not.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sounds_of_Silence
reply to post by R6A6W6

That's like saying all people who self-immolate are monks, just last week a Jew lit himself on fire just to protest about rising costs...

I'm only using the same labels that are applied to the Syrian government and are used quite liberally by western governments. But when someone turns it around...., fairs fair IMO
edit on 18-7-2012 by R6A6W6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Sky news just said they believe Assad's brother in law was also killed in the blast(deputy/assistant defense minister).
Which makes it personal to Assad if true.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
that's a pretty impressive strike.. hitting the heart of the military planning rooms..
while it will be labeled a rebels hit, i doubt it was done by real revolutionary Syrians.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
that's a pretty impressive strike.. hitting the heart of the military planning rooms..
while it will be labeled a rebels hit, i doubt it was done by real revolutionary Syrians.

It sounds almost too precise to me and (just IMO) its sounding like a CIA plot.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by R6A6W6

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

It sounds almost too precise to me and (just IMO) its sounding like a CIA plot.

I was wondering when some would finally reach this conclusion. My exact thoughts when I saw the Breaking News Headline on MSNBC.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by amcpwoy

Wednesday's attack struck the National Security building in Damascus during a meeting of Cabinet ministers and senior security officials. State-run TV said some of the officials were seriously wounded and later reported the defense minister killed.

Bad news.

West is seeking Assad's ouster...

www.chron.com

I don't think anyone can immediately say that suicide bomber = Islamic. The idea that people think this shows that the propaganda has worked. Only Islamic fundamentalists use suicide? How about the Japanese suicide squads throughout history?

Think about what Assad has done to thousands of people in that country. If a dictator was shelling your home, had killed your family and you'd lost absolutely everything, wouldn't you go to such measures for a target like that?

If you've lost everything you ever loved and you have no reason left to live, while you're fighting a dictator like him, you'd probably sacrifice yourself too. I would. If it means getting revenge on such disgusting people and potentially killing all the heads of the military in one go I'd be begging to be strapped up and given a car!

Desperate times call of desperate measures, and the people of Syria are desperate.

I was watching footage earlier of the military barracks in Damascus on fire. It's a wonderful sight. Finally those who have been victims of one of the most despicable regimes in modern times are winning, and not least because of so many defectors. I saw a report a couple of days ago, just after a senior military official defected, that thousands have now turned on the regime and that this is how they are now attacking Damascus. The numbers of those affected has increased as Assad attacks random places, and thousands more see that the rebels are actually the good guys and they've been lied to by their media for months.

This is only going to lead to one thing - Assad driven out, and probably found in six months hiding in a cave and begging for his life. At least I hope that's what happens.

In the meantime we have to be concerned about the lengths he will go to to hold on, there are fears he'll use chemical weapons against his own people as a last resort.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

There are suicide bomber auctions in Saudi Arabia for syrian revolt:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
RIP to the defence minister.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

The assassination on 28 June 1914 of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, the heir to the throne of Austria-Hungary, is seen as the immediate trigger of the war, though long-term causes, such as imperialistic foreign policy, played a major role. Ferdinand's assassination at the hands of Serbian nationalist Gavrilo Princip resulted in demands against the Kingdom of Serbia. Several alliances that had been formed over the past decades were invoked, so within weeks the major powers were at war; with all having colonies, the conflict soon spread around the world.

Is this the start of WWlll?

WWl started with a single assasination.
edit on 18-7-2012 by Pedro4077 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join