It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could we be living in a simulation?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Consider the following-

If, in the future, mankind can develop a simulated reality containing artificial consciousness, what is to say we are not living in a simulation right now? How would we know?

Look how much technology has advanced in the last 100 years. Technology exists today that people 30 years ago would have scoffed at ever existing. If we accept the notion that one day, man will be able to develop artificial consciousness, then we also have to accept the world we live in could be a simulated reality.

Late 80's-

Today-

Tomorrow-

If technology continues to advance at the rate it does, we will be able to create virtual worlds, simulations of real life- so the theory is not as crazy as it may sound! If we had the 'know how' today, we would create it, and the 'life' inside those simulations would not know it was artifically created consciousness.

It still just leaves more questions to be asked but I think it's an interesting topic.

Thoughts?

edit on 18-7-2012 by Wonderer2012 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-7-2012 by Wonderer2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Wonderer2012

You could be onto something there, I've often thought of that myself. Many times I've woken from a dream only to find I am still dreaming. We could be living in a simulated world and our dreams could be us waking from the simulation, just because our laws of physics don't apply in the dream state. Physics could be just the boundaries of the game. Or the rules of the game, could be the ten commandments.
Would explain why people hoard wealth and are so competitive. Also why those who break the ten commandments are supposed to go to hell.
That could be this games version of Jail as in monopoly.
Or why the more points (money) you have the better your life seems.
With our current rate of technology and the speed it is changing you could be on the money.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a topic hotly and widely debated. my only contribution: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   

You need to read Information Theory. If you want a good primer, Google up "It From Bit", and see what Wheeler thought about this idea. He was brilliant. So brilliant that he is sometimes thought of as crazy. But that changes a little at a time, as we discover that his wild dreams are actually proving to flesh out in reality.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

What if--- Current time is not? And what many feel is a reality IS a similation being viewed by ANCIENTS of EA*RTH, human or NONs on their technology device. They are viewing something in this future to evaluate or to better understand how to deal with a certain situation due to occure in their current PRESENT time OUR past? (hence there is no time) So yes something happining around now 2012 may be destined to happen in their near future possibly 80 million years ago and they are watching to see how it plays out in TODAYS time. They take notes and then avoid IT... (if possible) or are watching to see what the world evolvs into after the sitiuation happens. Just adding somehting to the thread. But I think its possible. If so would humans today be more advanced projections of them or ARE THEY ANOTHER BEING SHARING EA*RTH w/ humans NOW.
edit on 7/18/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   
So would you take the red pill or the blue pill?

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by kudegras

Dreaming is an interesting topic when dealing with the thought of simulation. I've died many times in my dreams and have felt pain just before death. If dreams were reality and reality was a dream, then how do you explain death?

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
ASK

Multiple threads.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13

What if--- Current time is not? And what many feel is a reality IS a similation being viewed by ANCIENTS of EA*RTH, human or NONs on their technology device. They are viewing something in this future to evaluate or to better understand how to deal with a certain situation due to occure in their current PRESENT time OUR past? (hence there is no time) So yes something happining around now 2012 may be destined to happen in their near future possibly 80 million years ago and they are watching to see how it plays out in TODAYS time. They take notes and then avoid IT... (if possible) or are watching to see what the world evolvs into after the sitiuation happens. Just adding somehting to the thread. But I think its possible. If so would humans today be more advanced projections of them or ARE THEY ANOTHER BEING SHARING EA*RTH w/ humans NOW.
edit on 7/18/12 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

That's an interesting take.

There was a TV show from 1999 called Harsh Realm. The premise was-

"Technology and the threat of nuclear annihilation in the last half of the 20th century have changed the world forever. They changed war and its consequences, as they have forever changed the battlefield and the warriors who must still fight there. It's been estimated that a nuclear device the size of a small suitcase, smuggled in and detonated in New York City would kill several million people instantly and many times that amount with radioactive fallout. This scenario prompted the DoD to create the project code named Harsh Realm. Using the 1990 census, satellite cartography and other classified data, the creators of Harsh Realm have created a virtual reality where landscapes and people are identical to our world, down to every man woman and child. By putting players into this simulated crisis scenario..."

So I think that is a reference to creating a virtual reality.

I can't find a lone clip from the show but if you go 50 seconds into the following video you will see a reference to 9/11 before it happened (1999) (Talks of 'Ground Zero in New York City and tonnes of collapsing steel)-

Chris Carter, who was behind the show was also behind the Lone Gunman, the pilot of that series pretty much summed up the story of 9/11 but in March 2001!

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
So would you take the red pill or the blue pill?

What would happen if I took both?

edit on 18-7-2012 by Xaphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

No, not necessarily. One does not necessarily dictate the other. I think you have to provide a more logically rigorous argument. Also, what is your definition of consciousness. Well the way you worded your statment first requires that in the furture we develop it, so that means we do not now have it developed. So obviously it is not now happening.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
The question of our universe being a complex simulation is actually a very valid and hotly debated philosophical item lately. Even the New York Times has published articles arguing for and against it.

According to the io9, the concept of reality being a simulation goes back to Chinese philosopher Zhuangzi in 300BCE, and now days it's more commonly associated with Oxford philosopher Nick Bostrom who says it's mathematically provable that we are in a simulation. There are others which disagree and say the odds are much in the favor of reality being actually real though.

As for currently, it's anyone's guess really but there are compelling arguments in both directions.
edit on 18-7-2012 by ProjectJimmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ProjectJimmy

I would suppose that this question lays in the realm of the Incompleteness Theorum.

Ironically, we would never know it until we have sunk generations of effort into solving the unsolvable.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

You need to read Information Theory. If you want a good primer, Google up "It From Bit", and see what Wheeler thought about this idea. He was brilliant. So brilliant that he is sometimes thought of as crazy. But that changes a little at a time, as we discover that his wild dreams are actually proving to flesh out in reality.

Thanks, I just read some of 'It from the Bit' theory, and I'm none the wiser but it was very interesting

The double slit experiment-

I guess the whole question is way outside of our current understanding!
edit on 19-7-2012 by Wonderer2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wonderer2012

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Thanks, I just read some of 'It from the Bit' theory, and I'm none the wiser but it was very interesting

The double slit experiment-

I guess the whole question is way outside of our current understanding!
edit on 19-7-2012 by Wonderer2012 because: (no reason given)

Well, that is the basis of Incompleteness Theorem.

RE: "it from bit", the best quote I have heard on it is "The deeper and deeper we look to find answers, the more we find that our own faces are staring back at us."

In essense, it all happens because we observe it and cause it to happen. Occurance is not so much about chance as it is our expectations. At least to a degree, and on a quantum scale.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
In essence, we are the simulants that are 'living' our own simulation...

Playing games can teach many lessons, the more realistic the game, the more understood is the lesson...'The Game' 1997...

Art imitating life, imitating art, imitating life...

Akushlax

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Do you ever feel this?

It sounds weird but on some level, our deepest thoughts may become real. Can't quite explain it, but there have been a few instances in my life so far where my thoughts have literally influenced what has happened in reality.

In fact, it happened only today. I was playing football and for whatever reason when I was in goal I imagined a shot coming back off the bar and hitting me in the face. I just felt that was going to happen and lo and behold, it happened. Could just be coincidence, but would it have happened if I hadn't thought it was going to happen- did my thoughts make it happen?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

all the time.

my wifes sister tells a story (and has for years before we met) about her dream that my wife would end up marrying a "big white guy with long hair". That was me, to a "T", until a couple of years ago. When my wife and i text each other, i can turn the ringer off. I just know when to pick it up. And when I pick it up, her text arrives. Just about every single time.

I know that I can control reality. At least to a degree. and it seems that Wheeler knew this, too. If you are curious about the "simulated reality" concept, you have to start with Wheeler.

Does this mean I understand it? Absolutely not. I am just sharing a piece of information that I picked up when i was walking on the same road you're walking on.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Interesting, thanks for contributing and giving me the links to work with

new topics

top topics

join