It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ANALYSIS: Israel Blames al-Qaida in Egypt Bombings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Israeli officials believe that Al-Qaida is behind the multiple bombings in the Egyptian Sinai peninsula that killed close to 30 Israeli tourists. Israel had previously warned of travel in Egypt on September 9th, citing "concrete evidence" that terrorists were planning attacks against Israelis.

story.news.yahoo.com
JERUSALEM - The deadly car bombings at two Egyptian resorts crowded with Israeli tourists bear the hallmarks of al-Qaida, Israeli officials said Friday. The Palestinian militant group Hamas denied involvement.

Israel's military intelligence chief, Maj. Gen. Aharon Zeevi-Farkashi, told an emergency Cabinet meeting that al-Qaida was most likely behind the attacks.

Deputy Defense Minister Zeev Boim cautioned that very little was known about the attackers, but he also said al-Qaida was the most likely suspect.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

These attacks in Egypt bear many of the trademarks of Al-Qaida attacks, multiple targets, nearly simultaneous, and targeting westerners or Jews in Arab countries. It is quite similar to the attack on the Jewish vacationers in Somalia where a truck bomb was used against a resort frequented by Israelis. There was also the tanker truck used to attack the synagogue in Tunisia.

Ayman Al Zawahri's Egyptian Islamic Jihad was known for attacking tourists in Egypt. This would not be the first time tourists, and Jews have been targeted in foreign countries. If this is an Al-Qaida attack, it will not be the first time that Israelis are targeted oversea.

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com
www.foxnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 8-10-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Hmmmm, the Egyptians are saying that it was mostly Egyptians that died.

iafrica.com...

Most victims are Egyptians - Israel
Posted Fri, 08 Oct 2004

Israel's ambassador to Egypt Eli Shaked said on Friday that most of the victims of the Sinai bomb attacks were Egyptian nationals.

"Egyptian Tourism Minister (Ahmed al-Maghrabi) told me that most of the victims were Egyptians," Shaked told Israel's army radio.

At least 26 people were killed in bomb attacks late on Thursday on a hotel in the Egyptian resort of Taba and in two resorts further south on the Red Sea coast of the Sinai peninsula.

More than 100 were wounded and 38 are missing, according to Israeli officials. Israel blames al-Qaeda for Sinai bombings.

But I'm sure if Israel says it's Al Qaeda, they are 100% sure, right? Nothing politically motivated here. Al Qaeda loves killing Egyptians.

Another site says it's the Islamic Unity Brigade.

www.middle-east-online.com...

I've yet to see any proof as to how they might think this is Al Qaeda. Don't terrorists take responsibility for their attacks in the media? Isn't that in fact their entire RAISON D'ETRE?!

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jakomo
I've yet to see any proof as to how they might think this is Al Qaeda. Don't terrorists take responsibility for their attacks in the media? Isn't that in fact their entire RAISON D'ETRE?!

Two things here...first is that al-Qaeda typically does not claim responsibility for attacks. This causes problems because it causes any unclaimed attack to be blamed on al-Qaeda.

Second, if you haven't noticed, the new interntational fashion isn't beanies, berets, or baseball caps, it's getting attacked by al-Qaeda. Being attacked by al-Qaeda provides a nation with significant international pity and an excuse to go after any resistance elements it doesn't like by branding them as al-Qaeda affiliated and tying them to the attack.

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
chaosrain:

first is that al-Qaeda typically does not claim responsibility for attacks. This causes problems because it causes any unclaimed attack to be blamed on al-Qaeda.

You know, I wondered about that too. But they have in fact claimed responsibility for a few attacks.

Madrid ( news.bbc.co.uk... )

Jakarta ( www.poe-news.com... )

various Iraq attacks ( www.foxnews.com... )

Sept 11 ( www.cnn.com... )

Kenya ( www.cnn.com... )

So I don't really trust when I hear a government saying "Well it has all the hallmarks of an Al Qaeda attack, so it's gotta be them".

Call me distrustful of all governments

[edit on 8-10-2004 by Jakomo]

new topics

top topics

join