It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today I Rewarded Good Will for the First Time Ever!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+41 more 
posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Some of you may know, but more than likely most of you don't know what I do for a living. I opened a Custom Hardwood Flooring Installation and Refinishing Company several years ago and I have been fortunate enough to watch the business grow into a good performing company.

I started with 3 employees (including myself), very modest and basic tools, and an office in a spare bedroom. There are currently 14 employees (including me), we operate out of a 3,750 sq ft building, and offer our own line of exotic woods and custom built inlays, medallions, and compasses. We also specialize in custom designed tubs, showers, back splashes, patios, etc. Basically, if it deals with hardwood or tile, we do it.

Because of this I have been able to make a comfortable living for myself, but I have sacrificed some things. I am not married, no kids, and I live alone.

I am a pretty boring guy, I don't drink, use tobacco, or do drugs. I don't attend church. Since I don't go to bars or do a lot of other stuff outside of work, I find myself bored and trying to find ideas to muse and entertain myself with.

Through the past several years I have been visiting ATS, I have noticed periodic posts asking others what they are doing about it.

For example, when someone complains, another member will ask what they are doing about it. Most of the time it is obvious that the member complaining has done nothing about what they have issue with, instead they just want to whine about it.

I wondered what I could do that would entertain me and also reward the good will of others. I came up with a plan and put it into action last Thursday, not sure what to expect.

The first step of my plan was creating an advertisement of sorts on Craigslist. I did tell a bit of a fib, but I justified it for my cause (some may say, for my selfishness).

The advertisement went something like this (shortened form);

"I am a spiritual, single man who lives alone. I have a job and I work hard at it. My job has always provided me with enough to take care of myself.

The terrible weather that came through last week has caused me real problems. A tree fell on my house and caused severe damage to my home and car. I have home insurance, but the deductable is $1,000 and auto insurance is $500 (which are both true) I simply do not have it.

After looking through my budget for this month, I was able to find an extra $250 if I go light on some things and skip a bill.

I don't have anyone else to ask and I hate the feeling of reaching out to the community for help. I am not asking for charity or handouts, I just want any opportunity you might have for me to make extra money.

I have taken my 2 weeks paid vacation in order to try and raise the money to fix my home.

Here are some things I am good at, but I'll do just about anything you have for me:

Hardwood flooring installation or refinishing

I have a trailer and a truck and can haul stuff or clean out clutter

I have a gas pressure washer I can use if you need pressure washing

I can lay tile

I can paint

nothing is too big or small

(I added a couple other things I could do, but that's pretty much all)

If you have anything I can do, please call me, it would really mean a lot to me"

So I posted that and included my phone number, then began the waiting game. I had faith in people in general and thought I would get several calls

Thursday night - no call
Friday - no call
7pm Friday - a man calls and said he was looking around and just happened to see my ad. He said he was looking to sell his home and planned to have the floors refinished, but everyone had quoted him too high.

He had 1,100sq ft that needed to be sanded and refinished. He said the lowest quote he got was at $1.50 sq ft and, since I don't have a license or insurance (which I really do) he would let me do it for $1.35sq ft. or $1,485

He commented a few times that, 'Everything happens for a reason' Each time he said this, I
kinda laughed to myself.

He asked when I could start, I said ASAP. He let me know he was coming back to town on Saturday and I could start Sunday morning. The date was set and I went on Sunday morning with one of my workers and we started the job.

I drove an older SUV (1995 ford explorer) instead of one of my box vans.

We hit his floor hard, sanded it completely flat, stained it provincial and applied 2 coats of polyurethane. It looks incredible, (excuse my ego
) and his wife was as pleased as he was.

We finished the job today around 2.30p, but before that I got a money order for $1,250 (I took out the cost of materials - sand paper, buffer pads, edger paper, buffer screens, polyurethane, stain - and gas for my truck)

I put the money order in an envelope and sealed it. On the front I wrote, 'Thank You So Much'.

He came down the stairs and said he only had $1,000 on him and ask that we follow him to the ATM for the rest, so I did. He went to a local supermarket (Kroger's) and while he went inside I put the envelope on his seat and went back to my truck.

I saw him leave the store, so I met him in the parking lot and got the rest of the money, shook his hand and thanked him again.

I made it all the way back to the shop and got a phone call from his wife. She was confused and asked me, 'Are you for real?' I said, 'Yeah', and explained the real story to her. I could tell it did mean a lot to her, even though they were not hurting terribly for money. She actually went from laughing with excitement to crying before the call ended.

It really cost me next to nothing to do this (I traded my worker a depth finder for his boat in exchange for his time and effort) and I got a good kick out of it. I think I probably did this much more for me than for someone else, but I do hope they will do something good for someone who has no clue about it.

Just thought I'd share with you guys and maybe someone here will find a way to help a family in their community without being required to or finding excuses not to.

I think I might do something like this again in a few months, but what surprised me is the fact that this family is the only one that called, so maybe there is something bigger at play here than just my crazy idea.
edit on 17-7-2012 by esteay812 because: poor grammar

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Hey, that's a nice story there my friend. It has some twists to it also that makes it very entertaining to read.

It sounds like your a very nice man, and hopefully you will find yourself a very nice woman too. It seems like it shouldn't be too hard for you to find a good woman. There are a lot of good women here on ATS, maybe you will actually make contact with one that would make each others lives wholesome and fullfilled in the way that life should be for everyone.

I think you should put out there how old you are and basically where you live in order to get a few strikes while your fishing in the ocean of love.

Good luck my friend.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
That is truly an amazing act of good will, congratulations. I think what you did is incredible and I wish there were more people like you in the world. And who knows how this money will help them in the future. Thank you for helping make this world a better place.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I like this story. I also like that you're being humble about it. I think it would be kinda neat if you did something similar every month or two and started a blog, maybe get some people inspired to help out in their neighborhoods. Congrats on the growing business too. I'm always impressed with small business owners. Takes real character.

Personal story time. When I was 16 I ended up hitting my mirror against a parked cars mirror. It was late at night so I left a note instead of knocking on doors. I said I would like to pay for the damage out of pocket, as my insurance was already high. I think the car was a Volvo, pretty pricey repair for my wallet at the time. Guy called the house the next day, talked to my Mom and told her when he was young he backed into the Dean's car at his college. Dean thanked him for the honesty, and he never heard from him again. I never heard from this guy again. I called a few days later, worried he had lost my number and his wife just said everything was taken care of. Someday I'll pay it forward too. I did tell a girl that rear ended me to not worry about it once, but it doesn't count considering the bumper barely got a scratch.

So in my experience these acts of goodwill are actually greatly appreciated, and help to foster more goodwill. I bet that couple is going to do something nice, and that's going to spin off into more kind acts.
edit on 17-7-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-7-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

Yeah, i can agree with you that it may not be too difficult to find someone, but the difficulty lies in finding the right one. The nature of my work leads me to come in contact mainly with constractors and married couples, home owners, etc.

Just to fill the curiosity, I am 33 and live in Tennessee, USA

Thanks for your post

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ninaisarainbow

Maybe I am naive, but I like to believe that people are good in general. I believe we all do things to help others on a variety of scales. Opening a door or telling someone they look nice, or having the courage to tell someone how you feel, even if it isn't always good, all these things and more can make all the difference in someone's day or week.

It would be nice to see others do things that make them feel better about themselves, while making others feel good too.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Nice story and it's good to know that your story isn't an extremely rare occurance - maybe there is hope after all... there is just one thing I'd like to edit in your post for you though...

but it doesn't count considering the bumper barely got a scratch.

but it doesn't count considering the girl was hot and I was trying to get her number.

haha, just kidding Domo, thanks for the post

edit on 17-7-2012 by esteay812 because: tyops

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

I can definitely see that happening.

Cute girl : 'Like OMG, are you OK?'

Domo : 'Yeah I think it's just my spine. So... coffee?'

Cute girl: 'You're bleeding from the ears!'

Domo : 'Oh that just happens when I see a pretty girl. GRRRRRR.'

Not the case here! I was trying to be nice! No good deed un mocked!

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Doing acts of kindness like this are a sure way to happiness and life fulfillment. Although it can be hard if you are struggling like a lot of us are to actually do something good for someone while expecting nothing in return (take my situation, I am barely surviving at the moment), if you can pull it off, you will often get the best repayment imaginable, in unexpected ways.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by darkbake

I agree, it can be hard to do things like this on a case to case basis, but it doesn't always take a lot of time or any money.

One of the first times I thought about helping someone was when I was on my way home one day. It was the middle of summer a few years ago and I noticed an elderly lady outside in the heat, push mowing her yard.

She may have wanted to do it, for exercise, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to do it. I thought about stopping and finishing the yard for her, but I didn't. I still wish I had, I would have a different ending to that particular story.
edit on 18-7-2012 by esteay812 because: tyops

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I wouldn't overdo the good deeds thing, especially since you are single; people sometimes read bad things into different situations that is not there. Its nice to help people out, but stay away from the trouble that will ultimately come your way if you help out others and there is always a woman involved. Those people don't know you, and they can only guess that you might be up to something, therefore their minds get over activated.

Your single and your 33 and you live in Tennessee. Take strides to find the woman of your dreams, and forget about helping out others; that is a distraction that wastes your time in finding what you are really looking for. Yes, its a nice thought that you have and you have made good deeds, but in the end you didn't really get to where you really wanted to go in your life.

You should join a social club or two, or something like that. Maybe your a vet, so you could join the American Legion or similar clubs, if not, you could join an Elk's club or a Moose club or something like that. Strangely enough joining clubs like that will get you even more jobs. Let's face it, you'll want to get to know other people, and they will want to get to know you before you make any life changing decisions.

You live in the land of opportunity.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Sir, I don't know you very well, but you seem like you enjoy touching lives and being kind for the sake of kindness, to hear the gratitude in a man's voice, or see the tears of a joyous woman whose life has been made a little bit simpler by your act of graciousness. And reading this story, I want to shake your hand, because you sound like one of the few who actually lives to see other people happy. You are one of the few who help to restore my faith in humanity (not that my faith will ever be great), and I want you to know that you have made a difference.

You've made a difference, and for that, you've touched my heart.

“To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.”
~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

May the Source bless you deeply and eternally.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Ah, your post is touching. If only more people in the world would understand that we are all in this ride together. Why should we not help those that are here with us. The fact that I am also in TN made this a little more real to me. It was disappointing to see that you only had one phone call but, Craigslist is a dying thing.

May I ask why you don't go to church? It really is a great place to meet people that are like minded if you believe in God. (I personally am not a regular church goer myself). When hubby and I moved here, we knew no one but my parents. My hubby joined the local Lodge and met friends that way, and I met other "soccer mom's". It can be hard to meet people if you don't put yourself into public situations. Start marketing yourself! It sounds like you would make a great companion.

Keep up the good work.

I will be scouring craigslist now, looking for you, because I need new floors,

E.T.A. I bet if you had a family day cook out at your "shop" and you met some wives of your employees, they would be jumping over the chance to set you up with their friends. It is obvious you are one of the good guys.
edit on 18-7-2012 by Doodle19815 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

Thanks for the offer of advice, but I do disagree with a bit of the reply. I did get what I wanted, a bit of entertainment and trying something I had never done before and was able to involve someone who was obviously trying to do something good for someone else as well (me, by offering me the job to help out my situation, even though they didn't know me, never met me, etc)

Also want to thank you for your advice in a direction to look toward in my social and love life. I don't mean to come off as a complete work-a-holic/shut-in/hermit. I do get out in the world, but the nature of my lifestyle simply doesn't place me in the path of many single women.

I think if you met me face to face your concerns about problems my actions could cause would be alleiviated. I am not someone who comes off threatening at all. I am professional and deliberate in my actions and wording and I leave very little room for speculation of any malevolent intentions.

If someone gets jealous without a real cause, well, that is simply not my problem and probably points to a much deeper problem in their relationship. I suppose there are risks out there, but risks are involved in everything we chose to do - without them life would be monotonous and predictable.

I just don't think the majority of people out there would have a problem learning they have been rewarded for reaching out to help a member of the community who is in need, even though the member is a stranger.

For me, trying new things that interest and entertain me is worth any of the risks you mentioned. If I am ever confronted with such a situation, I have confidence the outcome will be exactly as it should.

I started thinking like this a while back. One of my workers had gotten divorced and moved in with his dad. He would work and go home, depressed about the divorce and time away from his kids. I knew him since middle school and considered him one of my best friends and workers.

He wasn't able to try new things and missed experiencing a range of emotions by constantly worrying about the past. He may have gotten over it and began a new era of his life, but unfortunately he never will.

His father is a dis-abled veteran and tried to help everyone he could. He even let an old friends son rent out the basement for cheap after his father died suddenly.

That guy moved out several months before, but knew the schedule of my friend and his dad.

One night, around midnight, there was a knock at the front door. My friend looked out and saw who it was and went to unlock and open the door. Just as he unlocked the door and began to open it, 1 shot from a 12 guage shotgun was fired through the door and into my friend's chest and neck area.

The door was kicked ajar and another round fired into his chest.

His father's fiance stood up from the recliner she had fallen asleep in. She was shot at point blank range and killed near instantly. As the former renter and family friend, as well as a 2nd accomplice, made their way further into the house, my friend's dad got his handgun and looked out of his door to investigate.

Another round was fired at him, but he was able to duck back inside without injury. He knelt down and stuck the 9mm handgun out the doorway and began unloading it.

He killed the accomplice and wounded the former tenant/family friend when one round struck him in the hip. He was able to make it out of the house and escape before authorities arrived.

He was arrested several hours later, when he visited an emergency room, claiming he had been shot in a parking lot at a local bar during a fight.

My friend and his father's fiance were murdered in a botched robbery attempt, the murderous thieves were trying to steal his father's pain medication.

Because of this, I have learned to worry less about issues that may arise when I do the things I want to, in order to experience different aspects of life and emotion.

On my death bed, I can deal with memories of problems I encountered while trying to live, but I will never be able to cope with the regret and realization that I never really attempted to live my way, at all.

Murdered, My Friend from Childhood Until His Untimely Death

Another Link Updating Original Robbery/Murder Report

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
That was a great thing you did. I really enjoyed reading that..

Reminded me of this old man.. I was on my way to my second job as security at a casino on the gulf coast when I had a blow out. I pulled off the main road to put on the spare but when i opened the trunk I rememberd I let a friend use it when he had a flat. so i was about to call the wife when this old man with a walker comes walking down his driveway.

he comes up to me asking if I needed help. long story short he gave me a ride to a tire place to get a new tire put on, then he payed for it when I went to the bathroom. When I found out he payed, I wanted to give him back the cash but no matter how hard i tried he wouldnt take it.

During the ride back I told him to be careful being so trusting of people I could be a thief, he laughed and said you are working 2 jobs, one job being a soldier in the Army and the other being a security gaurd so that tells me you are a good guy that likes to protect others then he said I must be a Libra.. I sorta got freaked out cause I never told him I was in the Army, and how did he know I was a Libra?!

Anyway since he wouldnt take the money ask him if theres anything I could do for him. His response almost brought tears to my eyes, he said if it was ok with my wife and I to come over next week on Easter to have dinner with him. Of course we went. Found out he is retired Airforce and his wife passed away 10yrs ago he also has no family. He was the nicest man ever, my wife actaully cried on the way home she felt so bad for him. We would try to see him as much as could until he passed away about a year after he helped me. I never did aske him how knew that stuff about me.... I WILL NEVER FORGET HIM

Even though you did this to entertain yourself you helped out someone in need that wasnt looking for a hand out. So if only there was alot more people like you that entertains their self by helping others.You did a really good thing for someone that needed it and just how I will never forget that lonley old man they will always remember the saint they found on Craigslist.
edit on 18-7-2012 by ussoldier because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Hi Doodle! Thanks for your reply!

Growing up in Tennessee, my mother made sure we attended church on a regular basis. We belonged to a small Babtist church of about 250 members, where my uncle (mother's brother) was the pastor.

I remember having fun at church with my brother and the other kids. At 8 years old my family moved to a new area and the church was too far. As I started high school I began playing football (I was nearly as good as Al Bundy) I would visit a very large church here, with a congregation of 5,000 or so members, when the church was used for FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athlets) overnight 'lock-ins'

Because I did have friends who attended there and also made new friends who also attended the church, I began going a bit.

As I got older, a combination of things turned me off religion in general. One of the first bad experience memories I have is when I was standing alone in a room used for Sunday School classes, waiting on a couple friends to meet me there.

I heard a couple of the older, well respected ladies talking among themselves in the quiet hallway. I imagine they thought they were alone and had privacy, based on the context of their talk.

They were talking about which kids were hopeless and which parents they needed to warn to keep their kids away from these 'hopelessly undesireable' kids. They were saying some pretty awful things about these kids and the kids themselves were only 10-14 years old.

One of the comments made that has always stayed with me is when one of the ladies said, 'Oh yeah and the _____ boy, I think he's past the point of no return, I'm not sure anything anyone would do could help him. He'll be an alcoholic addict, just like his mom. It's best for us to talk to the other parents and make sure they keep their kids away from him.'

Another lady in the group replied, 'I agree and I was wondering about some of the things that have been missing lately and think we should watch him. You know his dad's a thief, been in and out of jail'

They weren't saying anything about me and I really didn't personally know the kids they were talking about. I did wonder, if they are talking about those kids now, who will they be talking about next? Then I wondered what they thought about me and if I was really wanted there at all.

I began attending less and less until I hadn't been in months. Since then, as I have gotten older, I have become more disenfranchised from the religious society. I am sure it does stem a bit from the experiences of my youth, but more than anything, I seem to find fault after fault with basically all different sects of organized religion.

I don't mean to say that everyone who is religious is also foolish or naive, gullible, etc. Quite the opposite. I don't like the idea of a certain few using the power of organized religion and worship congregation to forward their own agenda, while the large majority of the members are oblivious.

I am most definitely spiritual and I do believe in a God, but I have a problem believing the God I know can be defined by anyone or any group.

For me, formally supporting a particular religion and believing it is the only proper way to believe and all other religions are wrong is just something I can't do right now. Maybe when I get a bit more wise, if I ever do, I will support a certain religion. This very reason is where I find fault in all the organized religions who claim to be the only true and proper representation of the correct way to pray, worship, and acknowledge a higher power.

Thanks for the advice about having cook outs and stuff. I love doing that here, even though is can get crazy sometimes, haha. I generally have 5-6 work parties here a year, or sometimes I'll rent a 15-20 of rooms for a couple nights at 'The Park Vista' in Gatlinburg and have a weekend 'retreat' for all the workers and their families.

We do University of Tennessee football game cookouts here. I also have a pool now for the past 3.5 years, so we have been putting that to good use too. You know, I wouldn't doubt that some of the girls they bring with them aren't attempts at trying to set me up and I am just too dull to realize it,

Send me a U2U, maybe I can help you in some way with your floors. I can teach you or your husband how to do it and maybe you can save a load of money by installing or refinishing them yourselves, over a period of a few weekends

edit on 18-7-2012 by esteay812 because: additional content added

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Thank You so very much,

Best intro to the site you could give, nicest thread ive read in an while anywhere.

You have an real human-nes about you it seems humble in ego strong in will and honest.

Thank you again I will be reading your posts/threads even though I post not soo much.

Love

Elf.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ussoldier

Thank you for the reply Soldier and thanks for your service too!

I do like hearing these experiences others here have had. It gives a bit of insight into the good nature of people and I think everyone has good nature in them, even though it may only be shown every once in a while.

That's awesome you were smart enough to realize the man was trying to make a new friend. A lot of people would not have been receptive and write him off as a crazy old man with a hidden motive.

It seems that the shortest and most random encounters with good will are the most profound events that some of us will ever experience.

If anyone who reads this has not had the experience of an event like this, I truly hope you do soon. Whether you are providing the good will or you are the recipient, it will be a time you will never forget... ever!

I have found that the most simple things can change someone's day for them. Seeing a person who obviously takes pride in something, letting them know you realize their effort, and complimenting them on it when they least expect it only takes a few seconds and really is a good experience.

You can instanly see what your words and actions mean to them as their facial expressions change, in their eyes, and in their general posture. While it most definitely will make them feel good - if you have never experienced it - it will make you feel just as good, or even better.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Thank You Elf, not just for the post, but for the content and the compliments, I do appreciate it!

I am glad you enjoyed it and I hope maybe it inspires you in someway to offer good will or be open to receiving it.

Even though you say you don't post a lot, it seems we average about the same activity, so I do hope to see you around the boards on ATS in the future.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Dont let this thread die!!! Come one, anyone with storys of random people doing something nice for you or vice versa please post it.

I couldnt have said it better. just a nice couple of words said can change someones day.

My wife and I love to fish and we knew almost every one that fished from the pier we would go too. One day we noticed a old black lady fishing that we never seen there before. so we decided to go meet her and make her feel welcome. She was very sweet and she thanked us for being so friendly, and that she usaully fishes from another pier in Gulfport but lately theres to many drunks there. She asked how old we were I said 25 and my wife is 23, she laughed and said her grandson is almost double our age but half as mature as us. lol

while we were talking I noticed her rod and reel was falling apart it was able to cast more then 10ft. So when we got home we looked on are fishing rod stands( we have over 60 rods and reels and none of which were under $200) picked out a setup that would be best for her. I restrung the reel with PowerPro line grabbed one of the tackle boxes and filled it with tackle. We would bring it with us every time we went fishing hoping to see her again. Finally after 3 weeks she was there with that old rod and reel. My wife handed her the gear and said you will catch more fish with this. The look on that sweet ladys face was priceless.

edit on 18-7-2012 by ussoldier because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join