It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How could a church "exile" Ted Haggard from a state?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I recently watched the documentary: The Trials of Ted Haggard.

As a gay man I think Haggard and religious closet cases are disgusting and harmful.
Especially when they preach religious lies, pseudo-science and nonsense on being gay they can hurt other gay people.

However, this documentary truly made me feel sorry for Haggard.

Not that Haggard even felt slightly "gay", he just put it all into the discourse of a "sinful struggle".

But what I wonder about is how a church could exile him from a state?

How on earth does that work?
Was it some private deal with the church?

It seems he was allowed back with his family after the year of "exile", but he still couldn't go on church property (the church he founded).

edit on 17-7-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I don't know if this was the case, but some churches have a sort "insider arbitration" to help settle what amounts to CIVIL type issues within the church, in a manner that Paul suggested in the new testament. Since Christians generally aren't supposed to sue each other, but have a civil issue they can't resolve, sometimes they enlist the help of the church. This typically has to do more with issues within theology or in Haggard's case, being the church founder and pastor. Even though he started it, most Christian churches operate under a farirly democratic manner, and can remove their staff for various reasons per a set of bylaws or founding principles. If both parties chose to sign on an abide by that then it's like a private agreement. It is not that common and is (depending on how it actually works out and the conditions agreed upon) PROBABLY not legally binding, unless that was agreed upon.......basicly they settled "out of court".

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Well I think that in it's attempt to be holier than thou, this church proved itself more prideful and sinful than poor Ted Haggard.

I'm not surprised he kept his struggle for other men to himself as a straight man, with those kinds of judgmental attitudes.

I mean they prayed the poor man straight already, can't they just let him preach again?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
And what of his poor wife and kids?

They were just ripped from place to place.

That's just unacceptable.

top topics

join