It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's Up With The Jehovah's Witnesses?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
You guys should seriously clear up your facts about jehovah witnesses I've been one all my life and the trash that comes out about us is so funny. There is so much rubbish facts out there its pointless to point them all out.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
A vulnerable friend of mine was recently prey for the local branch of Jehovah. Luckily he's vulnerable - not stupid and certainly not lacking in insight. He pointed out to the Jehovah automaton that he could not deal with a 'religion' that had no faith whatsoever in people and the goodness they were capable of. That a religion that examined every phrase and apostrophe in the bible wasn't for him - that he is a lover of God and feels that God loves us - as opposed to the fear mongering promoted by them.

After several months of visits he relented and attended a meeting at Kingdom Hall where the automaton who had been coming to visit him for months pointed to another guy and said 'we got that one off the street'. My friend had nothing more to do with the sect after that.

Some years ago when I lived in an apartment four stories up and I used to be visited by 2 Jehovahs for a few weeks. I only let them in cos they were both in their 80's and after climbing the stairs to my house I feared for their health. Anyway one of them was called Martha.. About 2 years later I was dealing with a client who said he was a Jehovah and I mentioned the 2 who had come to visit me. My client told me - without blinking - that Martha was in the Book of the Dead. I asked how he knew that......end of conversation.

They're a silly lot - who mix up different phrases from different Gospels - even different Testaments to make a whole new phrase with a whole new meaning to suit their madness.

Martha informed me Satan was cast down in 1911 (funnily enough) and would have a 100 years here on Earth to do his worst. I suggested that every generation since it was written, believes that the Book of Revelation was about them. I was informed that now is different because now is the only time in history when humankind has the capability to destroy itself.
edit on 17-7-2012 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdamsMurmur
Hmm, documents, including deeds and what not, for something scary about to happen. Why does that seem like a scam... I guess you need your papers to find heaven.

This fear campaign is all about profit imo. I've been to Kingdom Hall when I was young, and it felt like a market at times with all the books and stuff they had available to sell. Using "hell" and "salvation" to prey on people's ignorance is how they make their money.

One of my uncles is a Witness, but he lives in Europe. No mention of anything like this from him, so it definitely sounds like a scam.

This thread should probably be moved to "Conspiracies in Religion."

edit on 17/7/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

Hello I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses. I lurk here, but just had to sign up to clear all this false information going around. Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe in hell as it is not a biblical doctrine. We DO NOT sell ANYTHING whatsoever. Everything is based on donations from its members and people that choose to donate while we are preaching. So insinuating that we sell books and scare people with Hell to make money is completely untrue. However, We do believe the end of times is near, and this compels us to preach to our neighbors.

There WAS information given to all of our congregations around the world to get all of our information ready including food water and ID's. This however, is due to different global disaster like the Haiti Earthquake, and Japan Tsunami, and just wanted everybody to have each others contact info in case of an emergency.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by CloudyNotorious

Please - enlighten us. Defend your faith. You're not in my good books at the moment. Explain to me why I'm wrong.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
We do not buy or sell anything all is free and all based on voluntary donations.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   

You guys should seriously clear up your facts about jehovah witnesses I've been one all my life and the trash that comes out about us is so funny. There is so much rubbish facts out there its pointless to point them all out.

Please clear up the misconceptions, I agree that the JW have several doctrines, that are biblical and correct, but just like all Christian churches no one gets it right.

You guys get Dis-fellowship correct, although I feel its used far too often for political reasons in the congregation, You also get the no pagan holiday or Idols right.

Again several doctrines are correct Biblical, others stray far to often when it suits the Watchtower and Bible tract society purpose...

One example is if you Honor the OT blood laws, why not the rest of the dietary rules and go Full Kosher if the blood is sacred?

Or How about the Strict OT treatment of anyone who claims to speak in Gods name and deliver a FALSE prophecy?
edit on 17-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66

Please - enlighten us. Defend your faith. You're not in my good books at the moment. Explain to me why I'm wrong.
I would be here all day putting right all the wrong comments about jehovah witnesses. The Internet is full of false statements stories etc. I know everything there is to know about us. Do you really think I would dedicated my life to it if all these false stories are true. I'm 34 normal person normal life lovely family nice job. You all need to put the pieces of the puzzle together and see what it's really all about. I wouldn't change anything for the world.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I had this cat who had extra toes on every paw. One Sunday I had to give her a bath. I have very thick frizzy hair that makes me look like a lion if it gets wet.

So this cat shredded my ass. I had blood streaming down my arms, my hair looked like tina turner, when there was a knock at the door.

I was very annoyed at having my ass handed to me by the cat and that the process was interrupted, I swung the door open, breathing heavy from my fight, and snapped" WHAT!"
The poor JW's glanced at me, their eyes got big, they gasped and hurried back up the stairs, lol.

I was left alone for a few months after that.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
In the UK

What I have observed.
Like schyler said - A drop dead gorgeous women, A Granny, and a kid, will knock on my door.
No amount of "I'm not interested" stops them because they come back with "Why aren't you interested"
However...
When I was a teenage terror I got a tatoo of a little red devil on my arm and I've learnt that it protects me from these people. I pull my sleeve up and say "Sorry, he's got me already". You'd think I'd just shown them my wobbly dangly bits coz they look horrified and leave without a single word.

I've heard that JW's cant be prosecuted for trespass, is that true??

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Clever! I have the Zig Zag Man tattooed on my arm. Wonder if that would work as well?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
lol I can tell you a few classics about what we see knocking on doors. One funny one on our point of view is one of my family members who was new as a jw and still learning happened to be a top kick boxing expert. One guy said the wrong thing at the door to him back and obviously thought he wouldn't get a reaction or thought he was being funny let's just say he ran away very fast that day. You all seem to forget we are normal every day people with backgrounds

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
lol loads of JW's have got tattoos we all had other lives remember. I was a professional sportsman once. We all got history.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
The bible (revelations) says " no man will know the day or the hour. not the angels or jesus"

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by CloudyNotorious
lol I can tell you a few classics about what we see knocking on doors. One funny one on our point of view is one of my family members who was new as a jw and still learning happened to be a top kick boxing expert. One guy said the wrong thing at the door to him back and obviously thought he wouldn't get a reaction or thought he was being funny let's just say he ran away very fast that day. You all seem to forget we are normal every day people with backgrounds

So assault and battery is part of your repetoire, then? And for someone speaking words to you you didn't like? That tells me a lot about your character. I don't think I'll be opening the door to you guys any more.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Let me just leave you with one thought if you had a tree where would you hide it? Answer in a forest. Think about that for a bit.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler

So assault and battery is part of your repetoire, then? And for someone speaking words to you you didn't like? That tells me a lot about your character. I don't think I'll be opening the door to you guys any more.
No not quite just sometimes someone could bite back when you think your being funny and clever. We are all at different levels of training just like when you go to school. But no as a rule we don't promote violence.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
The jw's are an offshoot of the millerites the same as the seventh day adventists mormons and worldwide church of god.

I guess its so easy to fool people that dont want to research what they are told especially anything to do with adam and eve and jesus.

the jw's were told in the 70s to sell everything they own stop planning for the future and go knocking on doors telling people the end of the world was here, at the end of that year there when the end times prediction never came true there were a lot of pissed off jw's.

I was reading about this yesterday ill get the authors name and book title as i wanted to email him to find out where he got his info from

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
If I am correct, Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Jesus is God's only creation.. and that everything else was created by Jesus..

Also they don't believe in heaven, or hell.. They believe in oblivion as the only afterlife.. Just another form of Christians taking it to the extreme, Trying to change peoples beliefs through harassment, And looking for free handouts.

The belief is that God created everything, including Jesus. They believe in nothingness, sleep like oblivion for immediate death with the hope that the righteous will be resurrected in body to live on a perfect earth forever.

They do not believe in hell as a place for fiery torment, but that hell is a metaphor for the condition of death.

They do believe in heaven, but do not believe that all righteous people go there - only a select group of 144,000 will be selected to go to heaven.

In regards to the OP, much of my family are in the organization and they scoff at anything related to Dec 21, 2012.
edit on 17-7-2012 by scorpiosin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
My family are all JW's and I grew up as one until my teens, not anymore. Lot of myths out there about them. I think overall it's a stupid religion just as any other religion out there. Some quick facts:

They do not believe in hell.
They believe 144,000 of their chosen ones will go to heaven to rule the new earth with christ after armageddon.
They belive the rest of their followers will be resurrected after armageddon and live on a paradise earth forever with no war and no disease, etc.
They do not sell their books, they only take donations.
Even though I'm not one I can't stand it when people call them "jehovahs" it just shows ignorance. That's like calling mormons "jesuses".
They believe everything was created by God (jehovah) and that jesus is the son of god.
They do believe that the "governing body" at their headquarters (a bunch of old people) have direct communication with god through the scriptures, or some hocus pocus like that.
They have predicted the end of the world twice before once at the great depression and again during the cold war. They blame their error on "misintepretation of the scriptures."

And with that said I'm sure my mother would be calling me up right away to repent and go back to the faith if they really did announce something big going down in 2012. I've heard nothing yet. So I'm not sure what to make of the OP.

Overall not really a bad religion, just annoying to some people. Lots of false myths about them. They are not really that weird, just basically another version of christianity with a few different spins. imho catholicism is much more weird with all their robes and candle-lit ceremonies, chanting, etc.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Ok I am a jw and I can state 100 percent no such thing has been said to us here in the UK. Although we did get told to make an emergency survival pack a few months back in case of a sudden emergency situation. Dunno where you guys get your crazy facts about jehovah witnesses but it's quite amusing just how much is made up about us lol

As a former JW, the "made up stuff' posted here, outside of the original OPs query is spot on, and you should know that. No need to find amusement in "crazy facts" as the " truth" you'r WTBTS professes is amusement enough.

Get out while you still can.
edit on 17-7-2012 by crawdad1914 because: spelling

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join