It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Woke Up Gay: Straight man turns gay after stroke! Unbelievable claim?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
He was "stroke this way"

Don't buy it, but, i cannot deny it.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
If it was a frontal lobe stroke, I guess it could happen. Frontal lobe injuries/damage have been associated with some very radical personality changes.

en.wikipedia.org...

Read up on Phineas Gage here: Phineas He is one of the first people described with radical personality change after a frontal lobe injury. Fascinating, IMHO.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I doubt he was "straight", probably bi-sexually pre-disposed and the stroke probably took him on a tour through Willy Wonka's chocolate factory for good.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by troubleshooter
It is more likely he became disinhibited. This can happen follow brain injury.

You'll have to elaborate on that. Like taken over by something else while he was out of commision?

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

Originally posted by troubleshooter
It is more likely he became disinhibited. This can happen follow brain injury.

You'll have to elaborate on that. Like taken over by something else while he was out of commision?

More like the removal of personal and social barriers. If you would never call your boss a name because he would fire you, for example, you have an inhibition to that behavior. If you go to the Xmas party and have a few drinks, the alcohol drops that internal barrier to behavior, you become "disinhibited", call him a name, and get fired.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jaellma
Now all he needs is another stroke to turn him back straight.

There's a joke in there somewhere.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I'm starting my diet and exercise program today.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Sooooooo! I can become a Republican if i have a stroke.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

The only reason you can't say BS is becaue of the other people who have suffered a stroke who then wake up speaking fluently a language they never have spoken before in their life.....

If you can explain that, then I'll except this man is just making it up.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I don't know if its true, but wouldn't gay people have a good motivation to call hoax because if so it proves that being gay or straight just depends on the release of chemicals in the brain and therefore could be called a disease or a mental disorder? Also proves you're not necessarily born that way, at least not always. At the very least, a homosexual would have some motivation to try to discredit the story... *looks around....* Yep.

Hey I'm totally just kidding with you all. I don't have any problems with gays. After all, if being gay is a condition of the brain then so is being straight. But I do think some might use this story to justify their beliefs and actions.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Lots of stroking on the new team he is playing for.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

lmao.

Ok, so that's funny.

Sounds to me like the athelete who WAS gay, needed an excuse to come out, what better than a stroke?

Really though, the biological makeup of your brain doesn't change overnight, nor does the chemicals that create attraction stop and go at your own volition, or that of a stroke. This would be the first reported case if it was true I'm thinking.

NIce try though.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koopa34
Sooooooo! I can become a Republican if i have a stroke.

No, that should happen naturally as you become older and wiser.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
The person is born one way and is different after a stroke.

It says nothing on why a person was a certain way from birth to the stroke.
It merely suggests the brain can be rewired in ways we cannot understand.

Then they can be cured? That's effectively what you're saying... It's either a Natural thing, and cannot be changed.. Or Viola! You're one or the other.

Brain re-wried? Umm thats what they say.. and time and time again we're told "No! We're born this way!"

Which is it??????

But a lot of the people would agree on your next point, that he must have been somehow latently gay before the stroke.
I don't really see why this has to be the case, but fair enough, it's an argument.
edit on 18-7-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

Well, if you're going to claim it's natural - I don't have an issue either way, by the way, I just want it to be clear - then this is the more likely scenario.

Why do you like the idea that a straight person can suddely become gay? Yet fight tooth and nail that gay people are born gay and that is all there is too it?

Huh?!

edit on 18-7-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

Originally posted by mainidh
reply to post by Advantage

You're the one fixated on the 'scary gay man'...

Bears anyone?

Sorry, Im a woman. Gay men dont do much for me.

Oh I've seen some scary gay women, believe me. You should be scared.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

The only reason you can't say BS is becaue of the other people who have suffered a stroke who then wake up speaking fluently a language they never have spoken before in their life.....

If you can explain that, then I'll except this man is just making it up.

I'll ask you to first prove it. I can't suddenly wake up and know how to perform brain surgery. No more than I can speak a new a language.

There is more to what you say than you are willing to believe.

100%

It's not like languages are built into our heads... or babys would just pop out shakespeare.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
Lots of stroking on the new team he is playing for.

As Geoff Peterson would say.. "Balls!"

Or the new catch phrase "There goes my Penis!"

Ahhh Geoff Peterson.. you skeleton cad!!

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift

Wait...

I'm not buying this...I think the stroke was used as an excuse to come out of the closet.

What's next, a knee injury and he's a Republican..?

Look at Tom Cruise and John Travolta, theyre so deep in the closet theyre helping the white witch take over Narnia.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

I find the case fascinating, because if it's true as Chris claims, then who we think we are can in random cases be finite, and suddenly change through no wish or deliberate action by ourselves.
I think death or becoming seriously ill and disabled are how we imagine finitude in ourselves and those around us (especially when we become somehow affected by those possibilities), but this is one form that is completely different. The embodied person is still active and present, but the personality is different in very significant ways.

"Cure" already implies a moral view of a sexual orientation as "diseased".
Chris certainly doesn't feel that his current sexual orientation is sick or needs to be "cured".
If anything, this specific case would show that heterosexuality can be "cured"!
It's unlikely to get much applause from the "ex-gay therapy" movement.
They claim to "cure" people simply by prayer, talking therapies and aversion therapies, and that's not what happens with a stroke at all.

If personality (of which sexuality is one aspect) is the result of a wiring of the brain (as I suppose science would suggest) then that is profoundly innate and natural.
It is then not simply something one can choose or change at will, or simply learn or unlearn (apart from perhaps repressing it).
At least at present there's no way such a case can propose a kind of surgery to mimic a stroke, and change sexuality (or any other aspect of the personality).
This guy's appearance and career changed, and he's at constant risk of having another, perhaps fatal stroke.
He did go for a brain scan where they claim to tell people if they have a more typically gay or straight brain, no matter what role they are currently living, and they found his to be unclear, so he probably had a potential to go either way, even if he didn't choose the change, and he might have remained straight without the stroke.

But your concerns do seem valid from a futuristic point of view, and one can well imagine a time when all these connections are totally understood, and a dystopian state can change people to what it perceives to be useful, and it can "cure" all kinds of anti-authoritarian traits.
There could be a potential perhaps to cure pedophilia or serial killers, but conceivably if such surgeries went wrong, they could also bring out such traits.
It does sound very horrific if it was ever attempted as a deliberate medical intervention.

So to me the case actually suggests that being gay can not be "cured" without re-wiring the brain, and even if that was possible with any measure of an exact prognosis, it would open up a huge debate on what traits should be ethically "cured". Should a leaning towards religious thinking, for example, be cured, considering that some argue that it causes massive social and personal harm? Could soldiers be made more obedient, alert and aggressive? If that was possible then it would open up such an enormous can of worms of what is desirable and not that the gay issue will be a mere footnote.

While those are futuristic fears, for the moment the case leads me to ponder and perhaps appreciate my own finitude, and also to be more compassionate to other orientations and ways of being human (apart from the completely criminal), because one simply doesn't know what could happen.

edit on 19-7-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
It's not the stroke or anything like that. That's bs. But it's possible more people are turning into queer because of BPA in the plastics. And now the new chemical which I think is bps which is 18 times stronger than bpa. Those chemicals feminize men.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join