It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Stamps, Unemployment Insurance 2 'Most Stimulative' Things for Economy ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Well those two are, according to U.S. Representative and House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) !!

I guess it depends on your point of view ?

I can think of a couple things that might be better.

July 17, 2012

(CNSNews.com) – House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) said Tuesday that food stamps and unemployment insurance are the two "most stimulative" t things you can do for the economy.

During a pen and pad briefing with reporters on Capitol Hill, Hoyer was asked if any Democrats are “reconsidering the wisdom” of letting the Bush tax cuts expire at year’s end for the top income earners given the still struggling U.S. economy.

"I haven’t talked to any who are of that mind," said Hoyer. "If you talk to economists, they will tell you there are two things that are the most stimulative that you can do -- one’s unemployment insurance, the other’s food stamps, okay?”

source article

Here's "why" he says

"Why is that?” he said. “Because those folks who receive those resources must spend them. And they’ll spend them almost upon receipt. Most economists with whom I talk believe that those with significant discretionary income, that that’s not the case.”

But what about those lost jobs that normal people had recently ??

The assistance is fine, but it's chickenfeed compared to a real full time job with benefits !!

I would think THAT would be the #1 "stimulus"

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Maybe I don't get it, people taking money from me, to give to others, to spend...

I have a friend who was getting Unemployment, and thats fine, but than he went to get Aid for school. Anyway he couldn't get the aid for School to get retrained, until he was on food stamps.

So he did, its absurd, but he did it to get the school aid.

The system is designed to put people down and keep them down.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Yes, you don't get it.

Spending=Income

My spending, your income.
Your spending, my income
Giving income to people who will spend it = Good, more spending
Giving income to people wou will save it = Bad, less spending
More spending = More income
Less spending = Less income

Foodstamps are wierd though. In Europe they stopped giving out foodstamps in the early 50ies. The US is the only country in the world that prints special money for food.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
There's no stimulus here. Hoyer is a moron. There's no wealth being created. When you consider that a large amount of the funding for these programs is deficit spending, you can argue that they are a drain on our economy.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a government cannot introduce 'jobs' as stimulus, not in this climate. Thus things like pay roll tax cuts, UI Insurance, and Snap benefits are things that are more effective for stimulus because they are spent immediately back into the economy

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
So working for the private sector that generates new wealth and tax revenue that generates tax revenue that the Government uses to pay for those benefits is bad.

Getting paid by tax revenue that does not introduce new wealth to pay for said benefits is good classic liberal thinking.

Get paid by tax revenue instead of paying it

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Why is this a surprise. Any spending increases economic activity. Look at any military town. You have tons of businesses thriving off the spending of those receiving paychecks from the government. paychecks which our taxes pay for.

Remember Gross Domestic Product = consumption + investment + (government spending) + (exports − imports).

Government spending or lack of spending affects the economy. The government giving tax money to another county which buys none of our products decreases our economic activity. The government giving money to those laid off for food stimulates the economy.

Also remember that those receiving food stamps and unemployment while they are looking for new jobs help others retain their jobs through purchases of goods and services. Which allows those who retain their jobs to purchase more goods and services. Economic activity. Which wouldn't exist if those unemployed had no benefits.

Of course, the best thing would be people keeping their jobs and immediately finding new jobs if they become unemployed, but that's not the reality in a world where corporations ship jobs overseas and lay off workers to improve the short term profits of their company.

new topics

top topics

join