It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Quest for the Perfect Diet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I know there are many opinions on this subject, and not really a perfect answer. Even without factoring the many variables from person to person, I just can't believe we can ever come to consensus on the perfect diet.

I lieu of the above, I'm on a quest for the perfect diet.

Below is a weekly menu. I eat this week after week, except for holidays which are additional cheat days. I am not concerned with serving sizes, as I eat what I want without overstuffing myself.

Please, if you will, I'd love to hear your feedback. I want things I'm missing whatever that may be (I know there are a bunch), suggestions, comments. Please comment on anything no matter how big or small it is.

The Perfect Diet

Snack #1 - assorted vegetable pieces and hummus

Lunch - assorted vegetable smoothie with kale, spinach, wheat grass, and coconut water

Snack #2 - lightly salted mixed nuts and seeds

Dinner - salad w/ flax seed oil dressing, main dish (6 day rotation of steak, salmon, other fish, shrimp, chicken, wildcard (ribs or something)), vegetable side, and quinoa rice or sweet potato

Snack #3 - oatmeal with almond milk and fruit

-Fruit and vegetables are purchased once a week where I attempt to have varying colors on a weekly basis and try to buy every fruit once before I buy it again.

-I drink clean water, fruit infused clean water, and different iced teas made from different whole tea leaves and honey

-Assume everything is organic

-I eat this six days a week and the 7th, usually one of the weekend days, is a cheat day where anything goes
edit on 17-7-2012 by lives because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Holy smokes batman....but seriously your giving me some motivation because I have been doing similar for only a week and a half now and it is difficult. I actually forgot home much I love fruit until now since I have been eating lots of different kinds lately.

Good job!!

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by lives

The idea of a large breakfast has been challenged before *, and I think the perfect diet is not one of 3 meals everyday, but more of a snacking throughout the day, and maybe a larger meal in the evening, before 7 pm. But yea, nutritious and whole veggies/fruit are important, imo.

“No clear evidence shows that the skipping of breakfast or lunch (or both) is unhealthy, and animal data suggest quite the opposite,” wrote Mattson, possibly the ultimate anti-breakfast iconoclast, last year in the medical journal the Lancet. Advice to eat smaller and more frequent meals, he wrote, “is given despite the lack of clear scientific evidence to justify it.”

I am not saying this definitively, just a little added perspective.

Peace, and stay away from ma bacon!

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Put some protein powder in your smoothies, maybe more seeds
and nuts, omega 3 type things added to your salads

Sounds like you will do good. Well thought out meal planning

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I know what you eat is what you are, but you must always watch how many calories you take in so your body doesn't start to store even the good food as fat. Going into starvation mode.

I started on a health kick a bit ago and had some friends recommend a site that will help me count calories and still know the nutritional value of what I am eating. It is HealthyHomeCooking.com. It has really helped me track all that I am eating.

Good luck on your future food ventures.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by knowledgedesired

I must say at first glance it looks crazy talk. But in the most sincere way it's not. They are all really good meals. You enjoy your cheat days much more. You feel good. Don't get sick. It's super easy. Honestly there are no downsides to this diet (othet than the fact it isn't perfect yet).

I think you brought up an important point. Once you get in the swing of things, fruits and vege's become really amazing things to eat. I can't put my finger on why, but I sincerely challenge anyone not eating healthy to try this out.

It should be noted I spend maybe ~$40 a week on groceries, shop for an hour a week, and eat like a king.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Thanks for the reply. I'm really not to concerned with portion sizes for two reasons. One I know my body very well and how not to overeat. And it takes our bodies many hours to process things, all depending on what it is, so these hard and fast rules about not eating before bed and such I think are mostly myths.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Amazing reply. Thank you so much. I've already decided to add mixed seeds to the nuts snack and some omegas to the salad, very nice thanks.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Looks like a great diet. =] I decided to begin eating healthier a few weeks ago mainly because of allergies to certain foods. I cut out just about all processed foods, anything with artificial sweeteners/preservatives. No high fructose corn syrup, gluten, etc. I may add some of the things you listed to my diet. I need to add in more omega-3 rich sources.

When I wake up I eat a salad with: kale, romaine, raw spinach, peppers, balsamic vinegar, & extra-virgin olive oil.

Afternoon/night I have a fruit & vegetable shake with: mango, kale, cucumber, ginger, kiwi, banana, papaya, carrot, plain-yogurt, almond milk, & handful of sunflower seeds.

After each meal I'll take papaya enzyme tablets to aid with digestion.

I also eat chicken, salmon & tuna. Green/red peppers, tomatoes, a few others.

Liquids: water & almond milk.

Overall I feel much better and it's only the start; I want to continue eating this way for the rest of my life tbh.

edit on 17-7-2012 by Raelsatu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I didn't see any eggs? Eggs are full of goodness, especially the yolks, Eggs have everything in them to build a life I'm not a believer in "eggs are high in cholesterol and it's bad". Eggs are high in cholesterol, but that doesn't matter it's not cholesterol that you will absorb. Bad cholesterol is made inside unhealthy bodies.
Also fasting is another thing you could add to your regimen. Fasting is a great way to cleanse your body and give it a break from digestion. No matter how clean you eat there are toxins in everything. I use a 24 hour fast on a weekly basis, intermittent fasting, but there are several different approaches.
Your plan is good, lots of nutrients and variety, it was suggested above about adding protein powder, what for? This diet appears to be very sufficient in protein.
That's about all I could suggest to your already nutritious plan, I hope you are exercising lots also and you will feel great.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by UsualSuspect

Thanks for the reply. I'm probably not convinced about the eggs. But I will definitely add a fast day, maybe once every two weeks and drink only lemon water for the day. Awesome idea thank you.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by lives

Fasting is not only great for the body it's also great for the mind. I love the mental toughness that it develops. And its really only difficult the first few times.
I don't know about lemon water, I see the benefits to the lover with the cleansing, but fasting is all about zero calories. I use a little bit of black coffee to get me through sometimes, it's supposed to contain no energy while still giving a little pick me up.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I have the perfect diet! Get a dog! Lol. Share your dinner with him then walk him lol you will be fit and slim in know time

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by lives

It looks good, somewhat, but I would need more eggs and white meat. I can do without red meat really, but I gotta have my fish and chicken.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
How about adding some herbs and spices to your diet. A small amount of parsley to your juice, some herbal teas or some spices like ginger, garlic and turmeric to marinades for yourr meat/fish. Herbs and spices can bring you health benefits as well as adding taste to your food.

posted on Jul, 26 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Actually the perfect diet would be an Asian one.......They have had it perfected for centuries!

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Awesome! I was actually just thinking about a "perfect diet" last week and what it consisted of. I think you hit it just right. I'm going to have to try this. Thank you thank you so much for sharing! I want to start this tomorrow

posted on Aug, 6 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
When I was going to a Nutritionist, the big thing he said to me was that diets do not work, its called a lifestyle change. I still follow what he told me, but without the motivation of going it's a little harder. But What he said was to have;
Breakfast - eggs in the am 4 days a week (3 whites, 1 yoke), and a cup of berries/fruit or yogart, the other 3 days, bread or oatmeal things like that.

Snack - yogart, piece of fruit

Lunch - Cup of starch cooked (rice, potato, pasta) 4.5 oz meat, 2 1/2 cups of salad/veggies

Snack - 1/4cup nuts or veggies or piece of fruit.

Supper - 4.5oz of meat, and 2 1/2 cups of veggies

Snack - fruit , veggies, nuts, or 1cup popcorn (air popped)

His thinking was that you shouldn't have starch after 2pm because most people are not as active at night as they are during the day, and if you have your starch at lunch you body has a chance to burn it, because if you don't burn it, it stays.

new topics

top topics

join