It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't know what I am looking at.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Salam ATS members.

This evening I had problems connecting to ATS while this page was being displayed :

I deleted my cookies several times and the problem was gone.

As you can see in the picture , we are being connected to google while connecting to ATS.

Before making any accusations , I want to ask moderators :

Is our internet activity being monitored by google from ATS ?

What is your idea ?
edit on 17-7-2012 by mideast because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-17-2012 by Springer because: edited title to more accurately reflect content.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Is this true?

I deliberatly avoid google so this interests me!!!

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk
Is this true?

You can check your self when your browser is connecting to ATS and communicating with different sites other than ATS.

like :
apis.google.com
google-analytics.com
a.tribalfusion.com

Some of them are for advertisement but others are not.

But deleting cookies boosts my connection.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
it is my understanding that google-analytics runs on every viewable website on the internet. Every single one. Maybe someone more SEO savvy can verify that.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by howmuch4another
it is my understanding that google-analytics runs on every viewable website on the internet. Every single one. Maybe someone more SEO savvy can verify that.

I think thats only true if the site allows it to happen.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Of course it is true. That's how the entire ad system works. It serves ads appropriate to you based on the sites you've visited. If you visit generator sites, you'll get generator ads. If you want a tent and are researching them, you'll get ads for tents. You also get ads based on where you live, which can be roughly determined by your IP address.

This is all normal behavior. Anyone surprised or in shock about this has been naive.
edit on 7/17/2012 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mideast

Originally posted by VoidHawk
Is this true?

You can check your self when your browser is connecting to ATS and communicating with different sites other than ATS.

like :
apis.google.com
google-analytics.com
a.tribalfusion.com

Some of them are for advertisement but others are not.

But deleting cookies boosts my connection.

I have settings in place that prevent the anylitics api, my concern was your title "Google reading ats cookies"

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I deleted all cookies and connected again to ATS

These are the cookies that are made when connecting to ATS.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
If you knew how many websites use Google Analytics you may choose to ditch the internet altogether. ATS is likely using this 'service' to help improve it's services to us ATS members. Of course Google isn't doing anything more than what any other web programmer can't implement as part of any other website. This information is useless unless a large enough pool of data can be accumulated and used for trending, direct advertising etc.

I'm not defending Google by any means, just offering a bit of an internet reality check.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Not true. In order for it to run on a website, there has to be code on the webpage that includes it as part of each page. Any website using it, explicitly made the choice to use it.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
Of course it is true. That's how the entire ad system works. It serves ads appropriate to you based on the sites you've visited. If you visit generator sites, you'll get generator ads. If you want a tent and are researching them, you'll get ads for tents. You also get ads based on where you live, which can be roughly determined by your IP address.

This is all normal behavior. Anyone surprised or in shock about this has been naive.

Why is that one big site like google should read my cookies ?

Unless it is not just for advertisement.

Gathering information from every single computer of the world and processing them will let them play with us how they want.

Even just the gathering is some thing neglecting my privacy.

And that is where conspiracy comes in.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by fenceSitter

Not true. In order for it to run on a website, there has to be code on the webpage that includes it as part of each page. Any website using it, explicitly made the choice to use it.

Thanks for verifying

It seems that NOT using it would be stupid if you were engaged in public commerce. again thanks.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

No its not, its a choice.
And ATS is choosing to let this crappy company track us.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
A question to the ats staff

I dont click on ANY ads whatsoever. Does that mean google receive no data concerning my account?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by fenceSitter

Thanks for verifying

It seems that NOT using it would be stupid if you were engaged in public commerce. again thanks.

So you think its smart to let a HUGE corporation that wants to data base every ones DNA. Google cannot be trusted, I would not be surprised if it was a CIA spy front hidden in plain sight. Google sells this information to organizations and corporations that you do not want to know who YOU are. Just by documenting your post they group you into a personality category and make accurate predictions on how you will respond to a situation. Not just individuals but groups as well ITS THE ULTIMATE CONTROL TOOL

A website like ATS has no business using this unless ATS is front. Its the biggest conspiracy site on the net, if any conspiracy website is tapped its this one. ATS does not have use google analytic to get statistics about its site their are a number of other options that are just as convenient. So why google? Is it because google data basses this information?
edit on 17-7-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Hasn't Management at ATS has mentioned several times that it uses Google to track visitor demographics instead of server logs.

Check the HTML source for a page.

Edit:

Example:

A "Defining Moment" for ATS - March, 2011
edit on 7/17/2012 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by fenceSitter

You say that every site programmer could do that.

I agree.

The question is why ATS isn't doing it itself

Why ATS is letting goolge do it ?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Quantcast Blocked here
Google Analytics Blocked here
Doubleclick Blocked here
ChartBeat Blocked here
Real Media Blocked here
Who's tracking you?

Quantcast
Dedicated Networks
24/7 Real Media
Google +1 Blocked here

www.abine.com...

for anyone interested and it's free.

edit on 17-7-2012 by LittleBlackEagle because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-7-2012 by LittleBlackEagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by mideast

Probably for the same reason everyone else does it, the almighty dollar. Why pay experienced programmers to design, implement and support such infrastructure when you could pay Google less to do it for them?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

yep. I'm not nearly as upset about this as most on this thread. RFID is way more intrusive and is already here. I actually see the wisdom in tailoring the ads to what people want.
Now if I bought int the whole "Google is the root of all evil" meme that seems to be happening here then yeah I would be upset.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join