It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portland, OR expanding firearms "Hotspots" and calling for registry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
This is great. It has all the tell-tale marks of complete useless yet liberty crushing bull# that governments are known for.

A "Hotspot" is an area of the city where gun violence is high. So the city waved its wand and forbid all firearms offenders from being in these areas. Which funny enough keeps people from going home.

For the most part this only affects black people.

Hotspot exclusions apply to offenders who have committed any gun crime in
Portland, which is a diverse population

Graph on Page 11 shows 70-96% of those affected are black.

So far we have a nonsensical "extra illegal" regulation affecting black people far more than anyone else.

Seems in step with past gun control regulation.

The report continues to say these violent black people are getting their guns by stealing them. So it recommends a "voluntary" registration:

What our community really needs is a way to track guns back to their owners so that our public safety system can prosecute the people who burglarized community members even if the suspect is not caught for that specific burglary. The Committee explored the option of a voluntary registration for gun owners. While it is illegal in Oregon to force registration of firearm ownership, Portland City Council could provide a voluntary registry to community members who want to track serial numbers and other information about their firearms. The Committee will also continue to explore potential changes to state laws that prohibit a mandatory registration on every sale of a gun.

They try to sell you the registration as a way to track your guns for your benefit. Forget that you'll never get them back. Forget that when they come to your house they'll try to charge you with some storage violation for not having a better safe or not having a third lock on the door. Forget that you can record your own damn serial numbers if you wanted.

The mayor is one of those MAIG fellows. His goal is gun control. He has a boogeyman all set up: black people. He has his foot in the door: black neighborhoods. He has the citizens call to action: voluntary registration.

Look for this in other MAIG cities.

Mayor Adams Report to Council

The whole report is loaded with this tripe.

edit on 17-7-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Funny how the liberals who used to be all for equality in civil rights are now on the forefront of destroying the rights of minorities.
Twisted logic to be sure but that's expected when it comes to gun control measures since logical arguments fail miserably.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

It isnt all that new.

Gun control has always been at its core racially motivated.

From the banning of "Saturday Night Specials" to keeping guns out of government (read: poor and disproportionately black) housing complexes.

Whether it's directly malicious racism or just a horrid by-product of an assinine position is debatable.

Regardless, the people who are affected the most are the poor and the minority populations.

Of course in their twisted logic disarming the poor is for their own good.

So even in the most positive light they still feel the poor and the minorities simply cant be trusted.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The policy of gun control, for those that don't know, has a nasty and racist history. I recommend to those interested, that they pick up the documentary No Guns for Negroes. You can google it.
edit on 17-7-2012 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

The gang violence in Portland this year is getting ridiculous, and yes they are mainly black (only observation). The black community needs to step up and try to curb the shootings instead of sitting idly by while their own people destroy themselves. Having said that, I am against all gun control, and dislike the mayor for doing this.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by VikingWarlord

The gang violence in Portland this year is getting ridiculous, and yes they are mainly black (only observation). The black community needs to step up and try to curb the shootings instead of sitting idly by while their own people destroy themselves.

And that makes you the racist. Just like Bill Cosby.

I miss the days of real black empowerment. When the focus was education, family, entrepreneurship and community pride. All of which instill as a side effect a responsible attitude toward all things including firearm ownership.

ETA:

I wonder if Stokely Carmichael would have been treated the way Cosby was:

It is a call for black people in this country to unite, to recognize their heritage, to build a sense of community. It is a call for black people to define their own goals, to lead their own organizations.

edit on 17-7-2012 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
It appears that not very many people here live in Portland. If you did you would know why there are people worried about guns.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by gorgi

I live in Sherwood and frequent Portland often. Guns aren't the problem, it's the damn gangs. Plenty of people are responsible gun owners in the Portland area, and restricting their rights would be a shame.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

reply to post by gorgi

I live in Sherwood and frequent Portland often. Guns aren't the problem, it's the damn gangs. Plenty of people are responsible gun owners in the Portland area, and restricting their rights would be a shame.

Its not just gangs. I live in tigard on the border of portland and there was a shooting where the pissed off wife shot her husband a few months ago. There was a robbery at the corner store (this was in tigard) which involved a gun.At PSU recently there was a guy who pointed a gun at one of the parking lot workers and locked down that area.
I have no problem with people owning guns Im just saying I get hwy people want more oversight on them.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by gorgi

If they didn't have guns, they would use knives. People are just getting crazy, and I think more people packing heat openly would help lower crime drastically.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

reply to post by gorgi

If they didn't have guns, they would use knives. People are just getting crazy, and I think more people packing heat openly would help lower crime drastically.

So your point is, is that they can kill you anyways, lets just make it easier for them?
Do you really want a return to the wild west ?

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by gorgi

So your point is, is that they can kill you anyways, lets just make it easier for them?
Do you really want a return to the wild west ?

No such thing. The "Wild West" as told by Hollywood fiction never existed.

Crime rates for the time period are comparable to todays rates and in some cases lower.

Throughout most of human history crime rates are pretty stable despite cultural trends, government authority or weapon availability.

Which supports the notion that people who are going to harm other people will harm other people and people who will not wont. The "law" is a useless feel-good measure capable of solving nothing and protecting no one when you take the total of humanity into account.

Of course this is all a futile exercise since most people cant look past the streets of their neighborhood, beyone next Tuesday or get that time existed before their date of birth.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:22 AM
link   

You are correct on so many points, take away the guns, then they'll rob you with a knife, take away the knife and they rob you with a waffle iron...Ive seen this type of thing many times. If they want to hurt you they will hurt you.'

Guns just make crooks and citizen even steven......you think the crooks dont know how hard it is to carry a gun legitamatly? they're counting on you being disarmed.

new topics

join