It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The true story behind the bible

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I am asking you what your definition of religion is...

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

There are at least 3 religions born out of the Bible. The Bible makes claims of a God and a redeemer of some sort.

There are many other religions that arose in different regions.

What spawns religion and what makes religion different than awe? Control, manipulation and power.
edit on 19-7-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   

My personal definition of religion is something that claims to know the truth when it really doesn't. Something that uses fear of something in order to conform its followers in a certain way.

What is your definition of religion?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by windword

I can give you many "Religions" that came from peoples in interpretation of what they were reading from the bible BUT that doesn't mean that religion is bible ordained or promoted. DOES IT?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   

I agree with your definition.

Religion (christianity in particular) uses a childs fear of hell in order to form them into the person they want. This child grows up with the thought of going to hell in the back of his mind whenever someone puts a theory forward that goes against his religion.

This subconscious fear of hell drives the child/boy/man to to deny any and all evidence against what he was taught his whole life, because in the back of his mind, if he even considers the idea, he will go to hell and be tortured forever without any hope of ever escaping.

This fear of he'll is the fundamental way in which religion works.
edit on 19-7-2012 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-7-2012 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by adjensen

I already summarized the video in my post which you rejected. The video explains the procession of the equinox, which you clearly don't understand.

It's only 1:34. Is it the time it takes to watch or is it that you're not able to view videos?

Actually, I understand the concept of equinoxes and solstices quite well.

I don't know how to explain the notion of "I can't debate a YouTube video" any better than I have. If you wish to discuss it, just explain what, in that video, you take to be the truth, and what your basis is. If your basis is nothing more than that video, it isn't a valid argument.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Stop avoiding my question. What is your version of the truth? Do you believe what the bible says to be true?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Stop avoiding my question. What is your version of the truth? Do you believe what the bible says to be true?

What do I believe to be true? What, specifically? I have already answered your question in a general sense, so if you're not happy with that, what do you mean specifically?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Well, the Old Testament has this guy who demand to be worshiped and then proceeds to give rules on how to worship him, how to build alters, offer sacrifices and build temples and arks.

He plays with people's lives, declares wars and sends prophets and poets to talk about him.

Then we have the New Testament with a new kind of character speaking of either the same god after extreen anger management, or a different god altogether. Then Jesus goes on to tell folks how to pray and how to get into god's kingdom.

So, yeah, I would say that the Bible does promote religion, if religion is the encouragement to worship a specific or a set of deities.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Religion is the result of mans opinion being mixed with Gods truth. Do you believe the bible is truth?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
It is very clear to anyone who really knows Jesus and what Christianity and the Bible is about that you have no idea what you are talking about. Have you even read the Bible, or the New Testament?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   

How many gods do you think exist?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Do you believe that Jesus Christ is the only way, that he is your salvation and your ticket into heaven?

Is that specific enough for you? Or would you like me to go into greater detail and then even greater detail after that etc., etc.?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by adjensen

I already summarized the video in my post which you rejected. The video explains the procession of the equinox, which you clearly don't understand.

It's only 1:34. Is it the time it takes to watch or is it that you're not able to view videos?

Actually, I understand the concept of equinoxes and solstices quite well.

I don't know how to explain the notion of "I can't debate a YouTube video" any better than I have. If you wish to discuss it, just explain what, in that video, you take to be the truth, and what your basis is. If your basis is nothing more than that video, it isn't a valid argument.

The video simply explains the concept of the wobble of the earth and the Zodiac as it appears from earth because of that wobble. The concept isn't really up for debate, nor is the timing of the Biblical stories surrounding the changing of the ages. The Bible confirms it. FACT!

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by aardvark888

You have obviously not read through the thread because I have clearly stated several times that I was a devout Christian at one point.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   

At one point? What are you now?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

According to many religions, a lot!

Let's see.......

Ra, Osirus, Isis, Nuit, Zeus, Athena, Cronos, Loki, Krishna, Pele, Kali, Quan Yin, Odin, Thor, Quexalcote............

Who am I to say what god is God, or even what a GOD is.

I believe in a "source" that isn't a god or an interfering deity. A permeating force of universal unity.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

The video simply explains the concept of the wobble of the earth and the Zodiac as it appears from earth because of that wobble. The concept isn't really up for debate, nor is the timing of the Biblical stories surrounding the changing of the ages. The Bible confirms it. FACT!

The changing of what "ages"? What "wobble"? How is this, in any way, relevant to our understanding of the world today?

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Do you believe that Jesus Christ is the only way, that he is your salvation and your ticket into heaven?

In an abstract sense, yes. Do I believe that one needs a charismatic altar call to receive salvation? No. Do I believe that bowing oneself before Christ, our Lord, is required? Yes. Those are two very different things.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

The changing of what "ages"? What "wobble"? How is this, in any way, relevant to our understanding of the world today?

Yeah, you really get the procession of the equinox, alright!

You must have a very short term memory.

My response was an answer to your claim that 1st century Jews weren't fluent nor interested in astronomy. I corrected you, as to their following the astrological symbols of the Zodiac.
edit on 19-7-2012 by windword because: My connection went hokey!

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join