It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Happenings in my childhood house

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I haven’t really posted any personal stories on here yet, and I decided maybe it is time to do so. I haven’t posted yet because I know how harsh people can be on here when it comes to personal stories. I think I have finally decided I just need to get it written down because I don’t really have anyone in my life that has an interest in anything paranormal. Perhaps there will be someone on here that will have an interesting perspective for me to consider.

I have only had a handful of experiences, but for this thread I will just share what happened in my childhood house. The others can come another time.

I’ll explain the house a little to begin with. We were renting it and it was out in the middle of nowhere. Our landlord hated trees and cut them all down so we basically lived out in the middle of a field. There was a gravel road that ran in front of the house and another road that ran perpendicular to that one that went up a hill. On the hill was another house. When we moved in, that house was completely surrounded by trees and the landlord cut them all down. I have no idea what his deal was with trees, but that is beside the point. The house we lived in was very old. I asked the landlord once how old it was and he didn’t know. All he knew was that his grandparents built it. He was at least 60-70 years old at the time, so the house was very old. It was two stories with a basement and inaccessible attic. Techniqually it was accessible, but the only entry was a tiny 1x1 foot opening in the ceiling that was sealed shut. All four bedrooms were upstairs and there was no bathroom up there. When you walk into the house you are in the living room. To the left was a computer room, and directly in front of you is a door. The door leads to a staircase which takes you upstairs into an L shaped hallway. The bedroom doors lined the hallway. One of the walls in the computer room was shared by the staircase which becomes important later.

I was 8 years old when I moved into the house with my mother and older brother who was in his 20’s at the time. He was only home when my mother worked so he could look after me. I was 23 by the time we moved out.

A few weeks after moving in I discovered there were other kids that lived in the house on the hill. We started playing with each other every now and then. This would be the first time I heard about the house being haunted. While playing on our porch, the kids told me they lived in my house before they moved to the one on the hill. The one on the hill was newer and nicer than ours. They asked me if I had seen any ghosts yet. I told them no and asked why. They said when they lived there they had a lot of weird things happen. It has been so long ago I can only remember one of their stories. They said they kept hearing footsteps on the staircase leading upstairs. They thought it was a ghost and wanted to catch it walking up and down the stairs. They lined the whole staircase with toys and shut the door. A few minutes later they heard what sounded like every single toy they had laid out loudly smack against the door. They quickly opened the door and all of their toys were exactly where they had placed them. After they told me the story I told them to stop lying and changed the subject. They were a few years older than me and I really thought they were just being mean and trying to scare me. Their story became very real years later which I will get to soon.

A few years went by, the kids moved, and there was no more mention of ghosts. By now I was probably 10 - 12 years old. We always had the television going whether we were watching it or not. Suddenly, one day while watching TV, the channel changed. My mom and I argued over which one of us accidently changed it. We turned it back, and all was fine. The next day, the channel changed. We both looked at each other and decided it was kind of weird. The third day, the channel changed. It kind of started creeping us out but we figured there was some kind of explanation. This continued for months. The channel would change during random times of the day, but always just once a day. We knew neither of us had the remote to change it, and my brother was rarely home. It went from being weird and creepy to just plain old and annoying. Eventually it just stopped and it never did it again. It was also during this time we started having things disappear. Random objects would just up and disappear and then show up somewhere else later. For example, my mom would put a loaf of bread on the kitchen table and then it would show up a few hours later on the deep freezer. Could have been us moving things and then forgetting I guess, but it happened all the time with different objects. That also quit happening after a few months. I have read before that poltergeist activity can occur when a child in the house is going through puberty. Being as I was 10-12 years old at the time, I have always decided this is what it was. I’m curious on other’s ideas.

Around this time, when trying to go to sleep in my bed, I would sometimes think I heard my name being said. I would sit up and listen and hear nothing more. This only happened a handful of times. I tended to just ignore it and go to sleep.

One morning, my mother came to my door to wake me up for school. She opened the door about a foot and told me to wake up. It was very early in morning and it was pitch black outside and in my room. We always kept the hallway light on so we could see the stairs in the middle of the night. When she opened the door, it was so dark in my room and light in the hallway that she was just a shadow outline and I couldn’t make out any features to her face. I sat up in bed when she woke me up. She stepped away from the door to go back downstairs and in her place stood a small child’s shadow outline. I sighed and lied back down. I had two young nephews about that size and I assumed they had to come to our house that morning for some reason. It wasn’t completely unusual for them to be there as they had done it once or twice before when their electricity went out. I assumed a storm had knocked out their electricity or something and they were over to our house to get ready for school. After lying in bed a little longer, I decided I better get up and get dressed. I sat up, the shadow outline was gone and I figured my nephew had gone downstairs. I got dressed and came downstairs to find my mother sitting alone at the dining room table. I asked her where my nephews were and she just looked at me weird and said they aren’t here, why would they be here. I kind of frowned and told her I saw one of them when she woke me up. She told me I was dreaming and we went on. I know I wasn’t dreaming, I was awake, sitting up, and staring at a child shadow that was gone when I sat up the second time. I’m not sure if this was a “shadow person” or a ghost outlined, or WHAT, but I know I saw it and was not sleeping. I didn’t mention it anymore to my mother and when I told a friend at school about it she thought I was nuts. I just decided to keep it to myself. This was the only time I saw a figure in the house. Also curious on opinions of what kind of entity this was, could it have also been a poltergeist? I don’t know if poltergeist shows themselves.

Continued...

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
When I was about 14 years old I started having a recurring dream. I have no clue if this has anything to do with anything but I thought I would throw it in the timeline in case someone thinks it could be relevant. I dreamt that someone was in the house trying to get me. I never really saw a face or anything, just a blurred image of a person. I would spend the dream running around the house trying to get away. In the end of the dream I would always head for the basement and hide under the staircase. Whenever I got to my hiding spot under there I would wake up. I had this dream all the time and I told a friend about it. She felt that I was dreaming this because there was something I was supposed to find under the staircase. Honestly, I hated our basement, and I never wanted to find out if there was something under there. I can say I’ve seen under there enough times that I know there was no physical object sitting under there. The dreams stopped after a while.

After about age 14, everything kind of stopped. No activity whatsoever. Jump forward about 7 years later.
I was in my early twenties now and going to college. I only lived in the house during summer and holidays. It is important to note that my brother had since got married and moved out, and my father had moved back in and had been living there for a few years. He was in poor health with COPD and we had moved a bed into the computer room so he did not have to climb stairs. While home from school one weekend, I had gone to my brother’s house most of the night to hang out. I did this all the time and sometimes I stayed all night there and sometimes I came home during the night some time. On this particular night, I stayed there until about 4-5am and had come home and gone to bed. It is important to remember the computer room where my dad was staying shared a wall with the staircase. The next day when I woke up, my father asked me what I was doing upstairs the night before. I told him I got home around 4 or 5 and went to bed and that was it. He just kind of looked at me and asked if I was sure about the time. I told him I was. He said the night before, around midnight, it sounded like I had come home, gone up stairs, and started throwing boxes at the wall he shared with the staircase. He said it kept him awake forever and was just about to go yell at me when it stopped and he went to sleep. I assured him I wasn’t home during that time and I definitely didn’t throw any boxes when I was home. He was home alone and my mother was working the night shift. I remembered the story the kids told me about toys on the staircase hitting the door. It suddenly became much more real sounding. He thought it was pretty cool that it happened and laughed it off. I’d like to mention as well, we had dozens of boxes sitting in the hallway that we didn’t know what to do with. Perhaps these were the boxes being thrown? And no, of course when checked, they looked as if they hadn’t been moved.

We moved out of the house after my dad died in 2008. But there was one more corroboration about the haunted staircase before we moved out.

I took a year off school and worked in a daycare center for that year. I had a friend/acquaintance I went to high school with since I was in Kindergarten. He also worked at the daycare and we continued to be somewhat friends. I was talking about my house to him on break one day and he said, you know my grandma lived in that house when I was a baby. And I of course thought that was pretty cool and asked him about it. He described the layout of the house and I agreed that it was correct. Then he said, have you seen any ghosts yet? Honestly, I was shocked and excited. I told him a few things and told him about the kid’s story from when we moved in. He said it was well known in his family that it was haunted. When his grandma lived there she had ALSO heard banging around on the staircase and footsteps going up and down. They had also had things move around on them and their TV changed stations. I was pretty excited because I know the credibility of the guy, and this really cemented the fact that it was haunted.

That is basically it from what I can remember. I have no pictures. I thought about going by the house and snapping a few pics of the outside but someone lives there and that could be weird. Right now, I think I might go look through all of my old pictures to see if I can find something of interest. Not sure if I could get them on here, but I can try. I bought a cheap, old, used laptop that hooks up to none of my cameras, scanners, etc. And my cell phone battery exploded and my new phone was the cheapest one I could get and it does pretty much nothing.

Anyway, if you trudged through the whole post, thank you. I tried to make it readable and in the correct timeline but I tend to write all over the place. If you have a question I will do my best to answer it. If you have a theory I would love to hear

I know this wasn't the most extreme story, but it is true and it happened.
edit on 17-7-2012 by tport17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by tport17

I thought that was very readable actually. Thanks. Maybe not over the top, but believeable. I also had experiences in the house in which I grew up as a child. Some of them were pretty scary and unbelievable. I don't feel like getting into it here, I have before on ATS.

Poltergeists don't as a rule show up as shadows, just throw things around and bang and stuff. I guess that's the nature of the stuff that happened to me. I never saw anything, just the effects it made on things.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

Thanks for replying! I'm not super familiar with poltergeists, I had just heard before that they are attracted by adolescent kids.

I wasn't sure if they manifested into a physical form or not. I guess that means there was more than on entity in the house. But as I said, I'm unsure if it was a shadow person or not.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by tport17

I've never heard of a poltergeist taking on a form of any kind at least. It would be interesting to investigate maybe. We'll have to talk more about these things sometime when I have more time.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
That is amazing, but slightly terrifying at the same time. I have also heard that children going through puberty attract poltergeists, etc. I'm not quite sure what it was in your house, but it was very interesting to read.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ninaisarainbow

Thank you for reading and replying! I'm not sure what it was either.
I was hoping some more people that might know would reply, but I guess my post is a little too boring.

Welcome to ATS!

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by tport17

I gave you a star and a flag to hopefully help to bump your thread. It isn't boring, sometimes threads just get ignored for some reason or another.

On the topic of your original post, I know lots of places are known as "haunted" because people have repeatedly seen or experienced things there, but I don't think that it's always the case that things like that are linked to a physical site. Or maybe even most of the time these phenomenon are not tied to a location such as a house. I grew up in a house that I call "haunted", but I'm doubtful that the stuff that happened to me was linked to the physical building because I've never heard anyone else report anything supernatural going on there. Rather, I think it was linked to me personally, because of the state I was in at the time. I'll comment more later, I'm at work.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by wtbengineer

Well I am assuming mine was a physical haunt. It spanned the 1980's until 2008 as far as I have found out. Not sure about the time before or after. I know last I saw the house is lived in by one really old man. He had a yard sale a couple years back and as far as I know he still lives there. He was definitely a no nonsense farmer type so I haven't wanted to go ask him about anything.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by tport17

If you can get up the nerve you should ask him. If he's the type you make him sound like he might not even admit it to himself though, so you might not get a real answer. Getting ready to leave work, I'll check back here later.

new topics

top topics

join