It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Exceptionalism....Where?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I am so glad we are not exceptional.
Now they can toss us into the dung heap of washed up nations and pick on somebody else.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

Maybe people should be in line for those countries to get away from the ignorance that permeates American society.

Some people can't handle the truth, especially when it doesn't support their own rosy view of America.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
So I wanted to understand the terminology better and found this, since I myself, nor anyone I know thinks we are exceptional.
en.wikipedia.org...

Although the concept of American exceptionalism may predate the actual term, the phrase "American exceptionalism" originates from the American Communist Party. The term comes from an English translation of a condemnation made in 1929 by Soviet leader Joseph Stalin criticizing Communist supporters of Jay Lovestone for the heretical belief that America was independent of the Marxist laws of history "thanks to its natural resources, industrial capacity, and absence of rigid class distinctions."[9][10] Early examples of the term's usage include a declaration made at the 1930 American Communist convention proclaiming that "the storm of the economic crisis in the United States blew down the house of cards of American exceptionalism." [11]

The phrase fell into obscurity for half a century, until it was popularized by American newspapers in the 1980s to describe America's cultural and political uniqueness.[11] "American exceptionalism" saw a rapid rise in usage during the late 2000s, as a response to worries over America's role in the global financial crisis. The phrase was first used in a political campaign by Republican presidential candidates during the 2008 presidential elections.[11]

Although the concept of American exceptionalism may predate the actual term, the phrase "American exceptionalism" originates from the American Communist Party.
edit on 103131p://bWednesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
It all went to hell when the US culture changed such that PROFIT is valued above everything else.

The attitude when the US was in ascendancy was:

"I'm going to make hammers. And I'm going to make the best hammers anybody has ever seen. And I hope to make some money from doing it."

The attitude now, and for some time and why the US is in decline is:

"I'm going to make hammers. I'm going to make them absolutely as cheaply as I can, just something good enough to get by. If they last one day then break it's not my problem. The ONLY thing I care about is how much money I can make from hammers, and I'll cheat and steal and lie as much as I need to in order to maximize my profit."

Since the US culture adopted and began to worship this attitude, the results are predictable and all around us.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Open_Minded Skeptic

Yup, but what country is making the hammers now?

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by Open_Minded Skeptic

Yup, but what country is making the hammers now?

One guess...

A recent observation in regard to this:

I have a 3/8" drill that I've had since the early 1970s. Made in the USA. Not as good quality as the ones my dad and grandfather had, but decent.

Several teeth had broken off the chuck over the years, so I got a new one. New one made in China. Even brand new out of the box, the threading inside that works the chuck jaws, and the overall quality of the chuck is, to put it politely CRAP.

Why, one might ask? Well, no doubt the company that made this chuck found it cheaper, ie more profit to them, to have this made in China. The product is barely serviceable. It is garbage. And still cost a fair amount.

So some poor bastard in China probably works 20 hours a day and gets paid 50 cents to make crap that we in the US pay good money for. He loses and I lose. Who wins? The schmuck who shipped that manufacturing to China in the first place, and the politicos said schmuck has purchased.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Good Question....

How about this answer? The very movements you make with your fingers on a keyboard

send your Freedom of Speech, Thoughts, and Ideas AROUND THE WORLD at near the Speed of

Light. This Freely given tool that (If I may be so arrogant and judgemental) you take for granted

was provided to you initially by Cern,Darpa,NSA,DOD, and other curious alphabet agencies

funded by .....are you ready?....The United States of America.

Which in turn is funded by The Tax Paying Citizens of The United States of America.

In Conclusion, if you want to be a fool and continue to "bite the hand that feeds you",

you are FREE to do so. That is what it is all about. Freedom.

In fact, I have done that many times myself.

Fortunately , I wised up when I realised I was biting my own hand.

What a painfully illuminating awakening that was.

Live and Learn.

Only the Best of Regards to you, Wildmanimal
S&F

P.S. Here is a link(s) to some pertinant history that you may find informative :

Link: sixrevisions.com...

Video Link HooHaa : www.youtube.com...

edit on 20-7-2012 by Wildmanimal because: Add Link for posterity

edit on 20-7-2012 by Wildmanimal because: typo

edit on 20-7-2012 by Wildmanimal because: grammar

edit on 20-7-2012 by Wildmanimal because: typo

edit on 20-7-2012 by Wildmanimal because: Correct Links

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

What about this?

edit on 20-7-2012 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Seems like people care more about degrading America than most American's care about being exceptional. You have a chart with a bunch of great countries on it you could be talking about yet... you still talk about America. I praised Iceland on here the other day and some idiot turned it into a cheap shot to bash my country. Instead of constantly degrading one country you don't like, why don't you talk about something you DO like? Do you like anything? Probably not, never mind.

Nobody is in denial, it's just that nobody gives a # about all this America bashing anymore. You don't like America? Fine, get in line behind the rest of the lunatics that are going nowhere blaming the entity known as the US the whole time. If you aren't fixing anything, you aren't doing anything. What do you one day expect every American on ATS to acknowledge your highly biased, misinformed view? Enjoy the wait, because its going to be a while.

Kind of sad that even moderators on this site are now participating in making half-wit, 40 word bashing threads like this. Way to earn that gold border, somehow you managed to get 20,000 posts on here in only twice the time it took me to get 2,500. Geez and I thought I was on the internet too much, maybe you should take a little break from this for a while.
edit on 21-7-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by pavil

Thanks Pavil,
I printed out a copy of that for my wall of Honor.

Salutations and Stars

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

You have a point there. Needless to say, Jersey Housewives, and all the other bullchit bling
being broadcast by numerous media and radio outlets, is degrading to the image of The United
States of America as well.

The Media tends to make Hero's out of a poorly chosen slice of society.
This is then magnified and broadcast around the world. Which promotes inaccurate assumptions.
As you know, this profit driven behavior is based on The Greatist Common Denomator.

To put things into perspective, I was fortunate enough to be able to attend
a live performance of The Wall (Pink Floyd) written and performed by Roger Waters.
I have seen Pink Floyd as a group, and with all respects and honesty,
I would have to say that Roger Waters performance not only exceeded either of the two
Pink Floyd shows, it was also hands down the Best Concert EVER.

HooHaa,Talk about The Least Common Factor showing up and making a fool of the current "Hollywood"
excuse for music. Just check out what those creeps did to MTV.
As far as American "Exceptionalism", you wont find it on American Idol.
But you will ocassionally find it in the Side Street Pubs and Clubs hidden in the Backcountry
and along the waterfront of this Great Nation and amongst our friendly Great Nations of The World.
Oddly enough, this is also true of our Unfriendly Neighborhoods of The World as well.
I know Roger is originally from England, but he certainly spends a great deal of time here
in the Good Old U.S.A. I know that first hand. Need I say more?

Here is Youtube link to one of the recent" The Wall "Shows, Please Take Note of "The Grey"
Puppet that is presented at the introduction and finale of every show. Everyone assumes it is Pink.
I am suprised you ATS'rs have not been all over that yet. Asleep at the wheel?
Enjoy: www.youtube.com...
edit on 23-7-2012 by Wildmanimal because: Grammar/Typo

edit on 23-7-2012 by Wildmanimal because: Add Content

edit on 23-7-2012 by Wildmanimal because: typo

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

HooHaa, Well that is certainly a different way of viewing the facet.

You know, maybe that might be a good thing.

For as you have experienced, some of us just don't know what we have....

Until it is gone. Starry Skies to you.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
America bashing is popular these days. Hell, we have a large portion of our own people doing just the same thing all over social media.

I used to care. I used to vehemently argue against anyone who would dare besmirch my beloved homeland.

Now... meh. To each his own.

You love Canada. I like Canada myself, I've never been there, but everyone I've met from there has been wondeful so far. I don't bash Canada because I am no expert on Canada. Same as I do not talk ill of Russia since I have never been there, nor China. Nor Iran. Do I sometimes express discontent with how those nations political leaders conduct business? Absolutely! But you won't see me speak ill of an entire nation of individuals who are varied and have different aspirations and lifestyles.

How about instead of bashing an entire nation that the whole world knows EVERYTHING about thanks to the Internet and our extremely prevelant (and rather idiotic) entertainment industry, lets highlight some wonderful things from around the world that perhaps America could take a look at to try to improve our current situation?
If Americans being proud of their nation, even in our current state of affairs, bothers you... that is your perogative and you are welcome to it.

This nation is my home, it is the home of my ancestors and hopefully will be the home of my grandchildren.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

You can buy the most long lasting, tough, dependable, AND sexy hammer you have ever felt in
your hand made by Estwing Since 1923.
Made in Illinois United States of America.

But for goodness sakes make sure you aim well,
because if you hit your own thumb with it full swing
there is no method of dealing with that in the
Instruction Manual.

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

May The Force Be With You Dreine,
and with your lineage.

Second Line.

edit on 23-7-2012 by Wildmanimal because: So Where is the Mod Squad? Content Edit

posted on Jul, 23 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Hi There!
I have posted a few replies to your thread. In the meantime, I was mulling over your
comment about Americans being "Brainwashed". Please Specify.
Best, Wildmanimal

P.S. I would like to interject that Nationalism is at an all time Low and Subversion and Demoralization
is growing exponentially.
American Jobs are the Poster Boy for The Worldwide Reshuffling and Outsourcing.
Care should be taken when contemplating the concepts of Patriotism and Isolationism.
The distortion of these definitions are rampant and not only stigmatized, but underestimated.
You will no doubt witness the resilience and fortitude of The American People.
A Great Glory will rise in the eyes and minds of men. The Women and Children shall prosper.
The enemy vessels will be branded by silver and set adrift and uncouth.
I will specify,,, There will be no survivors to be found.

edit on 23-7-2012 by Wildmanimal because: Add Content

posted on Jul, 28 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   

I'm Still Waiting....

Check out this relative musical Link:

www.youtube.com...

or even the real deal live version:

www.youtube.com...

I am sure we will meet up at an "Exceptionally" later moment.

Best Regards, Wildmanimal

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join