It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American Exceptionalism....Where?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
But I bet we are ranked pretty high when looking at corporate profits.

And that is all that matters...right? That is what the Right wing tells us...as long as our corporations make huge profits...everything else will be butterflies and rainbows.

So who cares if our babies die...at least we have good profits. And who cares if our education sucks...as long as the corporations make their profits...we will be better as a society.

The truth is we no longer have American Exceptionalism...we only have American Greed.

Yes, Republicans tell us that as long as corporations make huge profits, we're on top. That's why it's nicknamed Repubocare! Because Republicans signed a law requiring Americans to give enough money to insurance companies to up their profit margin! And Republicans give money to failing corporations like GM, Solyndra, et. al. And let's not forget the oil companies that Republicans have people killed for!

Dude...stop. Seriously. Obama is Corporate America's best friend.

/TOA

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
well internet speed, blame it on greedy isp.

they keep throttling back bandwidth and speed when technology now should give you almost unlimited access.

now you have to pay for them not to touch and mess with your internet speed.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I'm American and am calling you out on your prison claim, not because I am Anti American, but because I know we can do better than we are. That is how things change.

According to different sources, 51% of the people in prison are from non violent crimes, most noticeably, from the war on drugs.

en.wikipedia.org...

Violent crime was not responsible for the quadrupling of the incarcerated population in the United States from 1980 to 2003. Violent crime rates had been relatively constant or declining over those decades. The prison population was increased primarily by public policy changes causing more prison sentences and lengthening time served, e.g. through mandatory minimum sentencing, "three strikes" laws, and reductions in the availability of parole or early release. These policies were championed as protecting the public from serious and violent offenders, but instead yielded high rates of confinement for nonviolent offenders. Nearly three quarters of new admissions to state prison were convicted of nonviolent crimes. Only 49 percent of sentenced state inmates were held for violent offenses. Perhaps the single greatest force behind the growth of the prison population has been the national "war on drugs." The number of incarcerated drug offenders has increased twelvefold since 1980. In 2000, 22 percent of those in federal and state prisons were convicted on drug charges. [23][24]

Another source directly from corrections.com says:

www.corrections.com...

Illegal Drugs & the War on Drugs. New illegal drugs or new forms of those drugs were discovered and developed. A War on Drugs swelled the prison population. Unlike real war combatants who destroy or disable their enemies, the government only puts the enemy in cages temporarily, and then releases drug war POWs to fight another day. The War on Drugs proceeded locally, nationally and internationally in the hopeless supply-side attack mode.

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone

One good example is the bs about America having the highest prison population in the world. The only thing they are going on is the numbers of people in prison. They don't take the time to examine what our laws say. They don't seem to even want to understand that we don't do things like have political prisoners or debtors prison. And they don't seem to understand that our laws are to protect the American citizens.When I hear people lamenting about how many people are in our prisons I can't help but to think that they simply want to let child molesters, pedophiles, rapists and murderers out and roaming the streets freely when they should be and I've got to ask what's wrong with Europe to want America to let these people roam free?

edit on 17-7-2012 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-7-2012 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

we are bad at a lot of things but u can't even list ur own country on ur avatar... talk about scared of criticism. I refuse to get in another nationalism argument with another European or Aussie. Its just a waste of time cause I'm the ignorant brainwashed American hooked on fluoride ,,

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

being a nation of materialistic shopaholics isn't something to be proud off

i think america needs to get back to its roots. the states don't seem to be all that different or independent anymore.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bixxi3
reply to post by newcovenant

being a nation of materialistic shopaholics isn't something to be proud off

i think america needs to get back to its roots. the states don't seem to be all that different or independent anymore.

Did you think I was seriously flaunting that as something to be proud of or was I asking people to reexamine their value system? Think about it before you answer, maybe look at my choice of words....

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
S&F

Tothetenth, what are you doing you can't go bursting our America's #1 bubble...

Its the biggest problem America has, its not till we admit there is something fundamentally wrong with the current system that we can fix it.

we are number one in Debt, Prison pop, and Obesity though, go Merica...
edit on 17-7-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

Why am I not surprised? Fat, poor, prisoners of our debt. We are all beginning to feel like that
Seems like we have a great deal of work to do before we'll ever reach exceptional again.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
But I bet we are ranked pretty high when looking at corporate profits.

And that is all that matters...right? That is what the Right wing tells us...as long as our corporations make huge profits...everything else will be butterflies and rainbows.

So who cares if our babies die...at least we have good profits. And who cares if our education sucks...as long as the corporations make their profits...we will be better as a society.

The truth is we no longer have American Exceptionalism...we only have American Greed.

Yes, Republicans tell us that as long as corporations make huge profits, we're on top. That's why it's nicknamed Repubocare! Because Republicans signed a law requiring Americans to give enough money to insurance companies to up their profit margin! And Republicans give money to failing corporations like GM, Solyndra, et. al. And let's not forget the oil companies that Republicans have people killed for!

Dude...stop. Seriously. Obama is Corporate America's best friend.

/TOA

Sorry but they are right.

Corporations are people which means Walmarts has bought voting rights.

And actions have consequences.

Walmarts is one of the biggest factors bringing America down today.

They put the mom and pops and all their employees out of work.
Then they purchase all their goods from China and put American manufacturers out of business.

Then we wonder why America is out of work and people don't make anything anymore.

Walmart is responsible for the decline of America
and the rise of China's "exceptionalism" and their rising middle class.

Now they have voting rights.
You can't blame that on Obama.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   

you do not need a chart to see that america is getting closer and closer to the bottom rung.i would like to blame it on immigration, the government or some external source. the truth is apathy and ego are the culprits. as long as we are moderately comfortable, our predicament will only get worse. it is like an addict saying i know it's killing me but as long as i'm high i don't care. there is a silver lining though. when our reality crashes down around us we will grow backbones. unfortunately (or maybe for the better) most of us will not be around to witness the new nation.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Interesting stats OP

And completely on the same topic as an RT story I was just watching before I left for work.

They were discussing the irony in America being the land of hopes and dreams, when the administration have concentrated all there energy and resources abroad, while neglecting its own people at home.

Slowly over the years, the whole of America has been declining.

RTs study showed the Americans were *least* likely to progress in work and social structures, least likely to *prosper* through "hardwork", compared to European and Scandinavian countries.

That's actually got to ring some shocking alarm bells considering the state Europes in at the moment!

Its a shame, I've come to love most the American people since having the opportunity to converse with them online (you finally dropped the Jerry Springer lable
). I hope you all embrace occupy and take back your country, its not just your lives that count on it, but maybe the entire worlds.

Of course the OPs stats have been known for quite a while, it gives me some peace of mind to know I could move to a country such as Iceland and Finland, I won't be staying in this God forsaken country a minute longer than possible!

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

The only thing that we're No.1 at is starting wars with weaker nations.

I mean, we literally waltzed into Iraq if the stories I've heard are true.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

You can't turn around and claim that the facts are "bashing" America when they are just that: Facts.

The OP set out to destroy the very denial that you are exhibiting with your post.

We can attack the "Yuripeans" all we want but they've got it going on. I'm not sure about immigration in those countries but if SHTF here in the US, I may be knocking on their doors!

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by MRuss

OP---No, we are not the greatest country in the world any longer. That is the difficult truth for many Americans. But Thomas Friedman, the New York Times writer, wrote a book about this in his "World Is Flat." But he does go as far to say that Americans should be proud that the rest of the world is evolving and becoming great. Many of our inventions, our ideas, our technology, our philosophies have helped to change the world. He goes into great length about why this is so.

We have no reason to hang our heads in shame. We were the purveryors of this changing world. We must now share with others what we have created---and much of it is what we wanted, no? The spread of democracy, for example.

I love my country---number one or number five or number seventeen on any list.

I'm not sure what you want Americans to say, or how you'd like us to respond.

Most of what has changed was caused by powers beyond our control--people who had to weaken this country in order to create something different for the world. We are just simply riding the train, no longer able to stand up and create change.

We are too brainwashed, too tired, too confused, and too often at Walmart now to stop this mighty train on its tracks.
edit on 17-7-2012 by MRuss because: (no reason given)

America has never had democracy so how can you be responsible for the spread of it?

If you go on the facts America has done more to quell democracy than any other nation. Need I mention your attacks on South America?

Brainwashed Americans, you are right

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
American dream= American apathy

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
corporations are people.

That is American exeptionalism.
To risk the drinking and usage of unsafe water in the name of profit.
The practice of fouling the Earth in the name of profit.
American is quite exeptional indeed.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by JDmOKI

we are bad at a lot of things but u can't even list ur own country on ur avatar... talk about scared of criticism. I refuse to get in another nationalism argument with another European or Aussie. Its just a waste of time cause I'm the ignorant brainwashed American hooked on fluoride ,,

I"m Canadian actually and most people who know me, know that. Never hit it as a matter of fact.

If you'd read the whole thread you'd have seen that at some point I even advised that Canada is in no better place than the US, but we don't go around saying we are the best nation on the planet.

Nationalism is stupid and you should stop being patriotic when there's nothing to be proud about.

And you should really not put yourself down like that, it's very unbecoming of an intelligent human being.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Hahahaha are you expecting Americans to get butthurt because some study says our country isn't #1? Newsflash, who cares? People are supposed to love their country whatever it is. If I was born in England I'd be arguing England is #1. But I wasn't. Anyhow, where's the line of people waiting to get into Iceland? Or Denmark?

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Here is an interactive graph based on a 2010 Newsweek ranking of countries based on health, education, economy and politics.

Interactive Infographic of the World's Best Countries

The U.S. ranks #11 among all countries.

However, if you use the "population group" filter and compare countries with large populations, the U.S. comes out at #2, only behind Japan.

Caveat: This is old data from 2010 and there is no earthquake filter on the comparison chart.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by sam_inc

American Dream = Grand Illusion.

That's the way I see it.

I've had a rant building up a long time regarding my generation, especially the crap that we catch from our parents' generation for being "losers" that "can't save their money, can't keep down a job, blah blah blah".

Have you ever wanted to just punch your father in the face whenever he went off on such a tirade?

After all, this isn't 1968. We can't just waltz into General Electric and make $$$ for the rest of our lives, buy a cheap house, a cheap car, cheap land and live like kings.

Those days were over years ago. They're not coming back for my generation.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Hahahaha are you expecting Americans to get butthurt because some study says our country isn't #1? Newsflash, who cares? People are supposed to love their country whatever it is. If I was born in England I'd be arguing England is #1. But I wasn't. Anyhow, where's the line of people waiting to get into Iceland? Or Denmark?

Actually no, only a few countries in the world claim they are #1.

The United States.

North Korea

And I think there are a few other delusioned nations as well. Either way people from other countries don't have patriotism or nationalism as part of their everyday lives. They aren't afraid of saying " wow this country sucks right now, we should do something about it".

So no, you're wrong. American Exceptionalism is an idea that is only spread and comes only from America and the other handfull of nations who are too big for their briches.

~Tenth

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join