It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ultimate hide: Man builds illegal house in middle of wildlife reserve (and he lived there secret

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
The ultimate hide: Man builds illegal house in middle of wildlife reserve (and he lived there secretly for more than a YEAR)

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... mZ

Awww, I often have wondered where I would go and how I would survive when TSHTF, once we had access to wilderness not any longer.

It has been hidden for the past year, but now a secret house, built in the middle of a nature reserve has been discovered.

The illegal structure was spotted by deputies when they were patrolling the Tujunga Ponds Wildlife Sanctuary in Los Angeles.

They looked inside and found Robert Downs, 51, who said he had lived in the home for more than a year.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   

He even had a flag,

Good-bye land of the free home of the brave.
edit on 093131p://bTuesday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Awww, I often have wondered where I would go and how I would survive when TSHTF, once we had access to wilderness not any longer.
reply to post by Stormdancer777

In this particular SHTF scenario, there would be no park authorities to keep people out so it would still be available to you.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by skepticconwatcher

In this particular SHTF scenario, there would be no park authorities to keep people out so it would still be available to you.

Yes, that would have to be a major event.

I have my eye on a couple spots.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by skepticconwatcher

If you were a park authority you might get this idea too, and not want outsiders coming in.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule

If you were a park authority you might get this idea too, and not want outsiders coming in.

Well when TSHTF the park authorities will know the good spots.

An event of apocalyptic proportion will equal the playing field.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I wonder if the park rangers got into any trouble since he had been living there for a year without them noticing?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
i live in a remote part of scotland near the mountains a friend told me a couple of months ago about people bugging out in the forests living of the land about a month ago i saw a black helicopter hover slowly for about a hour for no reason thought he was talking rot till i saw that mind you how many are living in srorm drains in l.a

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
There is a big difference between a national forest and a wildlife reserve.
The reserve is made to protect certain animals and is more heavily guarded and watched
The national forest I hunted in in Montana had one (1) officer to patrol the whole county area. I ran into him once on the road in 6 years.
There are more here in Arizona but still when you figure officer per square mile of woods it is incredibly, incredibly low.

Get off the beaten path and stay very remote,
Keep your fires small and smoke free and only at night,
Keep camp / cabin hidden from the air,
Keep your camp some distance from river, streams & lakes as they draw people.
Mind your tracks in and out and don't use the same way twice.

You would be surprised how long you can stay unnoticed even now with the authorities out there.
I the SHTF bad then they wouldn't have the man power to watch the woods.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

If there ever is a true SHTF event there will be no place to hide. The bio/chem stored weapons will be released and we will all get sick and die in a matter of days.

warning, graphic images....telemedicine.org...

I find it astonishing how all the survivalist types conveniently ignore this fact. I guess it's more fun to talk about guns, ammo, knives, bug out bags and other macho tech stuff.

A shtf event isn't going to be some sort of boyscout camping trip or a back to nature hippy commune trippy love fest; It will be something where the survivors will envy the dead.

S&F

edit on 17-7-2012 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I am not very macho, I am a 62 year old great grandmother, but I have had to live off the land in my youth, and yes my son and I talk about these things.

About the gas, I never though of that, but it may not happen that way.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by olaru12

I am not very macho, I am a 62 year old great grandmother, but I have had to live off the land in my youth, and yes my son and I talk about these things.

Bio/chem may not be released but the breakdown of all sanitation facilities, food testing institutions, organizations such as the CDC, medical facilities, etc. will almost guarantee that plagues, epidemics of infectious diseases will be carried on the wind, spread thru the land, and be the result of more deaths than you can possibly imagine. Much more than the event itself. Famine and disease are the real enemy...not the fictional zombie apocalypse that ATS types like to fantasize about.

There will be plenty of unburied dead bodies however; can you imagine what a fertile breeding ground for disease a dead body is?

You can run, but you can't hide. Perhaps we should work for justice and peace instead of preparing for societies breakdown. Our energies would be best spent there imo.

Somehow I get the impression that many here on ATS actually want chaos, anarchy and barbarism; because they are dissatisfied with a liberal, black president. Pretty short sighted imo.

Peace and Justice is our only hope.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

not the fictional zombie apocalypse that ATS types like to fantasize about.

I was sorta waiting for the alien invasion myself,

Well, I am pretty realistic, and I do see that a major catastrophe would be the death sentence for most.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

reply to post by olaru12

not the fictional zombie apocalypse that ATS types like to fantasize about.

I was sorta waiting for the alien invasion myself,

Well, I am pretty realistic, and I do see that a major catastrophe would be the death sentence for most.

Precisely, and that's why I said the survivors will envy the dead. A real catastrophe will leave the places where bio/chem is stored unattended and containment would be impossible once the power shut down.

www.slic2.wsu.edu:82...

Please let me reiterate that Peace and Justice is our hope for the future....not let it all go to hell and rebuild. That is an impossibility with today's storehouses of death.

I prefer to live one day at a time, make every day a party and dance. Hey, Stormdancer777, can I buy you a Margarita?

Topic....I wish I had a cabin like that in the woods to use as a retreat to write and make art.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlueMule

That's why I'm always friendly with the park rangers

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12
Somehow I get the impression that many here on ATS actually want chaos, anarchy and barbarism; because they are dissatisfied with a liberal, black president. Pretty short sighted imo.

I was with you on everything until you brought this up. What the #$%^???! Some of us may fantasize about what it might be like to try to survive in case of complete chaos and break-down of society, but most of us realize that in reality it is not a situation any of us would want to be in so long as it can be prevented. What the hell does having a black (half black) president have to do with anything? We don't give a $%^* what color he is. I've been on ATS since 2006 and people have been complaining about former, present and future presidents as long as I can remember. Those presidents were white, so how do you explain ATS criticizing them also?
edit on 17-7-2012 by 2manyquestions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This is where my opinion differs from most others here.

Where I live we are fortunate enough to have thousands of acres of green space throughout the community. Public access, dog walking, biking, etc is allowed in all of it except one 300 acre section where the public must stay on the main path. It is the one place set aside in the community as a stress free, natural reserve for native animals, plants, birds, etc. And thank goodness! We have cut down every larger forest around for 40km.

I am the only person in the community that has been given written permission to go into this area where I volunteer to locate and report squatter camps. I'm fine with squatters using any of the other green space in the community. In fact I think it should be legal in at least some places, but the wildlife reserve is a fragile place where we are trying desperately to keep invasive plant species, garbage, toxins, wildlife deterrents, developers and other destruction out.

We have lost 40% of the forests in the last 50 years because people care more about their simple conveniences than the survival of the planet's biosphere. In a life or death survival situation perhaps the line has to be drawn in a different place but not when the goal is just to have your own free, cozy spot to set up home. It would also be different if squatters could live in the area sustainably and without wrecking things, but in my extensive experience tracking and observing them I have come to the conclusion that this will never happen. They bring in a astonishing amount of foreign material almost every day and spread the remaining garbage around their camp as though it will simply evaporate. They NEVER take anything back out. They defecate and leave TP everywhere. They chop down native trees, some of which contain homes for rare migratory bird species. They trample native understory while bringing in the seeds of invasive cultivars on their footwear. They reduce the habitable size of the area for wildlife because animals don't want to reside near the camps. They hunt in the only place we've tried to give back to the animals. And when they leave their camps are left to rot. It breaks my heart to see what happens when a squatter resides in a protected area.

edit on 17-7-2012 by dainoyfb because: of typos.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

What made them want chaos, anarchy, and barbarism before the liberal, black president came along? Those folks have always been stockpiling and daydreaming about something happening to reduce the population.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by olaru12

reply to post by olaru12

Bio/chem may not be released but the breakdown of all sanitation facilities, food testing institutions, organizations such as the CDC, medical facilities, etc. will almost guarantee that plagues, epidemics of infectious diseases will be carried on the wind, spread thru the land, and be the result of more deaths than you can possibly imagine. Much more than the event itself. Famine and disease are the real enemy...not the fictional zombie apocalypse that ATS types like to fantasize about.

There will be plenty of unburied dead bodies however; can you imagine what a fertile breeding ground for disease a dead body is?

You can run, but you can't hide. Perhaps we should work for justice and peace instead of preparing for societies breakdown. Our energies would be best spent there imo.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on here. Wake up. I don't care if it's a black, white, hispanic, yellow, green, or purple president. They are all pawns serving the same people. How about you (clearly) liberals stop playing the race card every five minutes?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by DriCo04

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on here. Wake up. I don't care if it's a black, white, hispanic, yellow, green, or purple president. They are all pawns serving the same people. How about you (clearly) liberals stop playing the race card every five minutes?

For one thing I'm far from being a liberal. Come on my property and let me prove it to you by exercising my 2nd amendment rights. What a stupid assumption. But as a side note....

Every racist Ive ever known [except for a few white supremacists types; At least they have the guts to admit it.], and Ive known a lot, being from Texas; CLAIMS not to be a racist.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join