It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically modified mosquitoes may be released in Florida

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Look Out !!

MosquitoStein is almost on the loose in Key West Florida.

He has been genetically modified.

He will mate with females (mosquitoes) and his offspring will die before they can bite people !!!

Well at least that's what a British company named Oxitec says will be the case.

But what IF something goes wrong and the unthinkable happens ???

What IF ?

There is a citizens petition to stop the insanity.

story from GlobalPost -- July 16,2012

Oxitec, a British biotech company, has a novel way to get rid of mosquitoes: release more mosquitoes.

To help combat a growing mosquito population in Florida, Oxitec has proposed a plan that involves releasing genetically modified male mosquitoes into the Florida Keys so that they will mate with existing females and hatch larvae that won't live long enough to bite people, the Huffington Post reported.

After learning about Oxitec's plans, Key West resident Mila de Mier set up a Change.org petition to stop the company from releasing the mutant mosquitoes.

In the petition's description, Mier said, "Nearly all experiments with genetically-modified crops have eventually resulted in unintended consequences…Why would we not expect GM (genetically modified) insects, especially those that bite humans, to have similar unintended negative consequences? Will the more virulent Asian tiger mosquito that also carries dengue fill the void left by reductions in A. aegypti? Will the dengue virus mutate (think antibiotic resistant MRSA) and become even more dangerous?"....

Mosquito-Stein

Please stock up on Deep Woods Off just in case

One question....

What will they do when the GM's die off?

release more ?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
That is scary stuff. I don't know how they GM mosquitos, but it makes me nervous. What if human offspring are affected the same way. Not just humans, but beneficial insects (like the poor bee), amphibians (who are already struggling), and other creatures that eat mosquitos.

You don't mess with mother nature!

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I like biotechnology, but terminator genes are a little scary.

I don't know enough about this one to make an informed opinion and frankly don't have the interest to research it. Suppose they could do something like this for congress? I think there may be better applications out there than mosquitoes.

Oh... settle down congress, you know I

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Perhaps they already released a few test buzzers?
Florida was where all the face eating was wasn't it??
hmmm....

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen
Look Out !!

MosquitoStein is almost on the loose in Key West Florida.

He has been genetically modified.

He will mate with females (mosquitoes) and his offspring will die before they can bite people !!!

Well at least that's what a British company named Oxitec says will be the case.

What IF ?

There is a citizens petition to stop the insanity.

story from GlobalPost -- July 16,2012

Oxitec, a British biotech company, has a novel way to get rid of mosquitoes: release more mosquitoes.

Will the dengue virus mutate (think antibiotic resistant MRSA) and become even more dangerous?"....

Mosquito-Stein

Please stock up on Deep Woods Off just in case

One question....

release more ?

interesting thing is, there is already antibiotic resident strains of MRSA and it's being found in bedbugs which are slowly but surely making their way across the US. makes me wonder how we got them?

in any event again they are screwing with nature and will ultimately fail, just how big that failure is, remains to be seen...

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
This goes as far back as two years ago.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It also in Australian towns.

Of course last year we heard about this getting ready to happen.

Along with several thread talking about the release of GM mosquitoes. I really think it has been going on for some time now though. One could even enginer mosquitoes to act as flying needles infecting people with many things.

To be honest I am against GM animals. There are a lot of unanswered questions. Of course I recall others liking the idea of this getting rid of mosquitoes. That might be a good thing in a way, but also has problems all its own when you look at an ecosystem that revolves around just one type of insect.

I am sure some will find the "good" in all of this.

Raist

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

What IF ?

One question....

then they may release the next genetically advanced version of "Immortal" mosquitos

new topics

top topics

join