It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist terrorists are as bad as any other religious extremist

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by kman420
I feel people who still belive in "God" should all be shot.

Blind faith is the tool of the iggnorant, and anyone stupid enough to follow such jibberish is a threat to humanity as a whole, and they should be removed from the gene pool entirely.

Athiest Terrorist? No. just tired of the BS that your stupid blind faiths have caused.

your idea is flawed. there are plenty of people who have blind faith in their government leaders or other ideologies.

so either you want to shoot people who have blind faith in general or you just want to shoot people who believe in GOD.

blind faith is not exclusive to the belief in God if you believe that then...

sounds to me like you just hate people who believe in God.

i say we just shoot hateful people in general

edit on 18-7-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-7-2012 by votan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
It seems impossible to argue on this thread, It's one sided but here's one for you guys:

Has there not been an atheist leader in the world that wanted worship/praise and killed those that refused to worship him?, Don't ask me for an example as I'm clueless but this is a plausible theory.

Here is another example of someone capable of killing in the name of atheism:

"I feel people who still believe in "God" should all be shot".

edit on 18-7-2012 by DeadSnow because: I can

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSnow
It seems impossible to argue on this thread, It's one sided but here's one for you guys:

Has there not been an atheist leader in the world that wanted worship/praise and killed those that refused to worship him?, Don't ask me for an example as I'm clueless but this is a plausible theory.

Here is another example of someone capable of killing in the name of atheism:

"I feel people who still believe in "God" should all be shot".

edit on 18-7-2012 by DeadSnow because: I can

Aaaaargh and Crikey!!!!

This is still not "killing in the name of ATHEISM" it's ANTI-THEISM! Toooootally different.... I don't believe in any god or afterlife or sprit world BUT I also don't care if other people do. You see i have an ABSENCE of belief (although having an absence of something is a contradiction in terms, it's the only way I can explain it). You cannot be motivated by an absence of a belief... You can be motivated by a belief that another's belief is wrong but that is NOT atheism... Please, be mindful of the meanings of the words you are using....

And if there was a leader who killed people so that others would respect, fear or obey him and he also happened not to believe in a god then he STILL wouldn't be committing those acts because of an absence of belief, it would be for the power, the subjugation, the money, the respect etc. It would be FOR HIS BELIEFS, whether that be that he is entitled to be treated like a god or whatever...
edit on 18-7-2012 by Milkflavour because: Additional lines added

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Milkflavour

Have you ever considered the fact that terrorists kill people because they feel discriminated against? Yes...human emotions lead one to perform such actions. Very few people kill to please God.

Now I expect you to reply saying 'Muslims' in the middle east perform 'Jihad' to gain entrance into 'paradise', not entirely correct. They become terrorists because of mass brainwashing and the feeling of being 'less privileged'. At the end of the day we are dealing with human emotions, after all they believe God can create and take a life as he pleases.

It does not take religion to make one a murderer, a severe mental disorder can work the trick. Have you ever seen animals kill each other for no apparent reason other than instinct and hatred?

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSnow

Erm... I'm not sure what gave you the impression that I was saying that all people who are terrorists are religious or even all religious people who are terrorists are that way because of their faith.... I'm pretty sure I never even mentioned people with faith being terrorists... What I was doing was 'denying ignorance' by pointing out that it is not possible to be motivated by an absence of belief, only by a belief in SOMETHING, whether that is religious, anti-religious, political, anti-political and so on.....

Prefix: a- (as a- theist) Without

Theism: Belief in a god or gods

So.... We have someone without a belief in a god or gods... That says NOTHING about their political leanings, what they DO believe in, what they love or hate... Nothing.... So you see, it is impossible to kill in the name of being without belief in a god.... Only to kill (in the "shoot people who believe in god" example) for the belief that those who believe in god should be killed....

Does this make sense?

I can't explain it any clearer or in any other way really.... My point is that people kill for a belief in something, if you haven't got a belief then you can't kill for it.....

And mental illness is nothing to do with it.... And for the record, you're MUCH more likely to be killed by a so-called 'sane' person than a person diagnosed with a mental illness.... There, that's my anti-stigma bit done for today, and on my day off too!
edit on 18-7-2012 by Milkflavour because: Blooming autocorrect again!

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   

It was not directed at you, it was general so no worries and I get what you're saying.

Arguing here is like debating God's existence, it's impossible to reach a conclusion that everyone will accept.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSnow

It was not directed at you, it was general so no worries and I get what you're saying.

Arguing here is like debating God's existence, it's impossible to reach a conclusion that everyone will accept.

No probs mate...

You're right of course, we'll never come to a conclusion that satisfies everyone, I don't think there's even a need to try though.... I come from the angle that I'm not trying to change anyone's mind about their beliefs, people are entitled to believe whatever they like as long as it doesn't negatively impact on other people, and, in my opinion, the OP's belief was insighting hatred (that's a strong word and pribably not the most appropriate) towards people who do not believe in a god. The language was both derogatory and inflammatory (and it worked on me
p ) and I didn't think it was acceptable.

It seems strange to me that we categorise such a hugely diverse group of people as 'atheists'. We can say that people who are 'religous' have a set of (broadly similar) shared beliefs in that they believe in a god or gods, that they (generally) believe that their god(s) created the universe and created humankind. They believe in a set of rules and a specific way that one should live their life and that, failure to do so will lead to punishment or unhappiness in some way. We cannot say the same for people who are classed as 'atheists' however. They do not have ANY shared beliefs (necessarily, though they may by coincidence). One might be categorised as 'atheist' and believe that the universe is all interconnected, that there is a 'universal theory of everything' perhaps (in thē scientific sense), another might believe in nothing more than the food on his table and the rising and setting of the sun, and yet another might believe in spirits and ghosts but as individual energies, unrelated to a god or creator. How can we categorise this hugely diverse set of individual, unique beliefs (or absence of beliefs), that have no shared, common foundation, under one umbrella term? It seems lazy and stupid, or worse, unhelpful or damaging.... It seems you're either 'religious', 'atheist' or 'agnostic' and that's your lot.... Atheism is a silly, narrow, unhelpful label that only serves to perpetuate the misconception that atheism is a religion in itself and tars a hugely diverse group of people with the dirty brush of 'anti-religious' sentiment and hatred of those who 'believe'. I don't believe in god but I DO believe in lots of other things, humanity being one of them, but, when I read OP's like this it certainly tests my 'faith'. These things are sent to try us though eh?

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Ugh... labels. People kill and die for them merely because they feel they are nothing without them. Look at this whole thread bicker trying to defend and attack their labels as if their very selves were at stake.

The more you attempt to justify a label, the more you align yourself with their ugly past. You become guilty by association. Why not just refuse the label and walk away?

edit on 18-7-2012 by TheSubversiveOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

how many more lives have been lost because of the most bloody and silly religion that is the belief in no god, the belief that all humanity are nothing but animals. All humanity have no real value. Life is of no importance.
reply to post by borntowatch

We are indeed animals, great apes actually. We have the sentience to better ourselves and hold ourselves to a higher standard, but biologically we are animals. The reason that humanity suffered so much in the past, and why it is currently destined towards doom, is in part due to the wide acceptance that NOT believing in some form of magic fairy god father in one from or another is a "silly religion".

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSubversiveOne

Hmmm.... You do have a point, the problem is that rejecting the label only works if everyone does it. Otherwise they remain, are perpetuated and continue to harm those who are labelled, regardless of whether or not they themselves reject it.... The indian guy in the turban getting his head kicked in by a load of "you lot did 9/11 and that", narrow minded idiots can take little solace in the fact that he rejects the label that all Muslims (or in this case, more likely "anyone who looks a bit like they might be an Arab or something") are terrorists and are responsible for the deaths of thousands of Americans... I use this as an example but could easily have chosen anyone of a thousand labels and scenarios, I'm sure you see my point.

So, whilst I absolutely agree that we should reject unhelpful labels I'm not sure walking away is the answer, perhaps challenging them is the answer.... Or maybe not, maybe there's some people who just aren't willing to listen to reason... I don't know.....

(also, I'm aware that the Indian chap in my example is actually more likely to be Hindu than Muslim, I think it's about 70% + of religious folks in India that are hindu.... I was using it as an example of ignorance... Just wanted to clarify... I didn't want anyone thinking that i was that ignorant.... That would have been a major fail.... )

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

To them when you die nothing else happens so they don't care about the sanctity of life nor believe that it exists.
reply to post by CoolerAbdullah786

Your brain matter decays then? That's what happens after you die. "All sorcerers shall be put to death". Now that's absolute morality right there.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Wow!
As an Atheist AND a "commie" I must be a pretty horrible human being... And have no morals or values or apreciation of life, or compasion or understanding or respect for the freedom of mind...

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Acessallareas

Yes it is a fact, it's supported both scientifically and intuitively.

No evidence for a non-physical aspect to life has ever been found, much less for human life specifically. We've learned a lot and are learning a lot about the brain, including the ability to pinpoint subjective experience and emotion in the brain. The evidence points to the fact that all we are is physical, it's all in the brain. Once the brain dies we die.

People can deny the fact of their death all they want. The evidence for death being the end and lack of evidence for any afterlife, soul or essence passing on after death, make death being the end a fact. Now when real scientific evidence is presented for an afterlife I'd be forced to change my mind but the likelihood of that happening is so minuscule as to be negligible.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by drakus
Wow!
As an Atheist AND a "commie" I must be a pretty horrible human being... And have no morals or values or apreciation of life, or compasion or understanding or respect for the freedom of mind...

I must apoligise for the post I made on the previous page where I said "the reason for the harassment by the communists was probably because of their communism" (or words to that effect).
It was lazy posting and it would have been better written thusly: the reason for the harassment by 'the communists' was probably due to the particular ideology of that group at the time"
That is probably fairer, I didn't mean to imply that anyone who has a communist ideology is, by default, a bad person without morals or decency. I tried to edit the post to reflect this but it said that too much time had elapsed and I was unable to do so. I hope this has helped to clarify my position....

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

People label others because it helps quantify the chaos another human creates in their little universe. A version of you gets created in their head; a mere parody of what you really are. Their inability to separate their ideal from reality will bring harm not only to the vision of you in their head, but possibly the real you.

You're right to say walking away isn't the answer, and I wasn't suggesting it as a technique to avoid the violence which comes your way from people who are prone to label others with their assumptions. Maybe the best course of action in the scenario you mentioned is to agree with them, and begin to attack the frankenstein of you they have built in their heads. Give them what they want to hear, attack the labels they are attacking knowing you can not be harmed no matter what they say about the label they've given you. Pride might compel one to do otherwise and fight back, but then you're only defending the label and the imaginary you they've bestowed upon the physical you, and you become just as guilty, just as idealistically positioned and willing to become a martyr for what? A word.

The man with the turban is putting a label on himself. A man preaching a doctrine is labelling himself. These people are willing to become martyrs.

If violence is unavoidable, run, fight for your life and protect the physical you because that is the only thing that matters. If you still die, then you died for truth, not an ideal. Not allowing others to quantify you is probably the best possible solution.

(This is written in the second person, but is not applied to anyone in particular.)

edit on 18-7-2012 by TheSubversiveOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Wow!

You may be all those things you just listed off but I know a few things you haven't done that makes you alright in
my eyes. Killed off an entire planet because they no longer wanted to worship you are live by your ideals, blown
up entire cities because they indulged in homosexual actions, oh and this one is the real kicker, have a loyal
follower of yours sacrifice his own son.
edit on 18-7-2012 by Procession101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSubversiveOne

I'm not sure I follow you there... Are you suggesting that, in order to undermine the labels people apply, we should agree with the labels? I understand what you mean when you say that defending and arguing against the label only serves to further entrench people's opinions and, in fact, reinforce the label that you have been given... I'm just not sure how agreeing with a person helps.... Perhaps you could give an example? Say.... If I am labelled as an 'atheist' (hater of all things religious and a morally bankrupt individual) how would your approach work to undermine the prejudice?
I'm not being funny or anything, I'm genuinely curious, especially as half of what you said makes perfect sense to me

Also, I understand what you mean when you say that wearing a turban or some such is actually labelling oneself... but, by extension, all choices we make, be it what we wear or how we act, how we speak or what we eat, are ascribing labels to ourselves. This is unavoidable.... Even choosing not to wear clothes, disappearing into the hills and living off the land would be a statement about who we are and therefore we would be labelling ourselves.... It seemed that the implication was that, if he is willing to label himself in such a way (by wearing a turban) then he is/should be prepared to face the consequences of the judgements made by others..... I'm uncomfortable with this idea as it could easily be used as a justification to commit acts of violence or discrimination against someone, simply because ofthe way they choose to express themselves (or in this case, their faith). I'm not implying that you would do that, i'm just saying that I'm not entirely comfortable with the statement. Perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying?
edit on 18-7-2012 by Milkflavour because: Trying to de-waffle my post

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch
I just got back from Cambodia, visited the Killing Fields. 9000 bodys have been recovered and I wonder how many more are still left in their graves.
The simple fact is this action was undertaken by religious extremists, atheists.
The communist atheist Khmer Rouge slaughtered millions in Cambodia but if we consider Mao or Stalin how many more lives have been lost because of the most bloody and silly religion that is the belief in no god, the belief that all humanity are nothing but animals. All humanity have no real value. Life is of no importance.

You got a source link for me? Atheists aren't religious, nor is atheism a religion, so I can't see how you can call somebody a religious atheist. The real question here is: Were they killed in the name of atheism? If not, this has no relevance or any basis in reality if you want to compare it to religious wars.

I note the anti Christian and anti Muslim arguments, but I think its worth noting that atheism has more bloody hands and a larger death toll than all the religions put together.

More than the inquisition, crusades, slavery and the holocaust put together? Ha! I'd love to see your statistics on that one. Please be sure that each person killed in the name of their religion / god or it doesn't count. Good luck.

The new atheists dont seem to have changed their tune from the old atheists either. Seems like its all being set up again so the same situation, the same slaughter will happen again.

Seems from where I sit atheists are as extreme as any fundamentalist group, more violent with less values.

Anyway, I thought it worth noting.

Atheists are extreme because they post on message boards and spread science and knowledge and deny ridiculous claims that have no evidence to support them.

Chances are, whatever religion you follow today was originally spread by the sword and forced on people with the punishment of torture / death for disobeying. Atheism is simply people not believing in your version(s) of god.

Just realized I responded to a really old post. Ah well, maybe somebody will learn from it. I just don't trust ancient man to describe god. Let's look at the bible:

Written by man .. CHECK
Published by man... CHECK
Stories assembled into a giant book by man.. CHECK
Translated into other languages by man... CHECK
Spread and taught as truth by man.. CHECK

Where does god come into the picture? I refuse to dedicate my life to something that has no substantial backing and we don't even know the origin of the stories.

I don't hate anybody for believing in god, I just get annoyed when people assert that it's fact or try to attack science to defend it.
edit on 18-7-2012 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Reply to post by borntowatch

Mao and Stalin didnt kill anyone because of their atheism. They happen to be atheist.

That's like me saying Obama loves healthcare reform because he's a man, therefore all men love healthcare reform.

Now when it comes to religious fanatics............their god is at the core of their insanity and everything they do or destroy reflects it like a full moon.

This seems like a cheap jab at atheism.
Instead, why don't you give specific examples of how atheists have destroyed others or started wars because of their hatred of religion. That's a start.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Milkflavour

Wow!

I must apoligise for the post I made on the previous page where I said "the reason for the harassment by the communists was probably because of their communism" (or words to that effect).
It was lazy posting and it would have been better written thusly: the reason for the harassment by 'the communists' was probably due to the particular ideology of that group at the time"
That is probably fairer, I didn't mean to imply that anyone who has a communist ideology is, by default, a bad person without morals or decency. I tried to edit the post to reflect this but it said that too much time had elapsed and I was unable to do so. I hope this has helped to clarify my position....

It's ok, my post was just directed at the "idea" that being an atheist or having communist ideas made people less "humane".
And another fallacious concept from SOME religious people is to think atheists don't have moral or ethics, when it's QUITE THE OPPOSITE...
My values and principles ARE MINE, I don't need anyone, neither terrenal nor divine to tell me to be good to people, to care, to understand and use my empathy, to be disgusted by ANY act of injustice, etc.. I LEARNED all that through living and enjoying and suffering, like most human "dudes" do...

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join