It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist terrorists are as bad as any other religious extremist

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DavidWillts

My "religious double-think" is no different than your blind generalizations of atheism. Which was the point I was trying to make. You believe that atheists kill because of a lack of morality, indoctrinated by their atheism. All of my examples were pointing out the flaw in your rationalization.

If atheism is a system of mass-murder because a few psychopaths kill people based on communism, then Christians are mass murders because the Church killed witches and pagans wholesale for not believing in the divinity of Jesus. Or, Christians are hateful because a few of them protest against gays, and women, and everyone else.

Of course you don't like the way it sounds, because you want so bad to believe being an atheist makes you an evil person, while not being an atheist makes you a good person. The reality is, being an atheist makes you no more, or less evil, then being a religious does. If you want to say atheism murders, then you have to accept that religion does too, and that in the history of the world religion has murdered more human beings than atheism.

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

My "religious double-think" is no different than your blind generalizations of atheism.

I have made none, once again you are making things up.

You believe that atheists kill because of a lack of morality, indoctrinated by their atheism. All of my examples were pointing out the flaw in your rationalization.

I said no such thing, you made things up
edit on 17-7-2012 by DavidWillts because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidWillts
reply to post by yorkshirelad

1. Christians have slaughtered people (each other) because they didn't "believe" in their flavour of God
b) Stalin slaughtered anyone who didn't believe the same as him.

Am i the only one who sees how funny this logic is?

Probably...because one did it out of religious belief, the other to preserve POWER. Atheism plays no role in this

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by DavidWillts

I have made none, once again you are making things up.

No, I'm not. Here is a nice, blind, generalization of atheists, and atheist-supporters from your own post, located right here.

In that post you say:

The "they did not kill in the name of atheism" is a BS cop out.

Maybe you don't see this as a generalizations, but that doesn't mean it is not. You have generalized an entire portion of atheists, and atheist-supporters. Congratulations.

I said no such thing, you made things up

Well, despite the fact that my quote above, from your earlier post, supports this position... I will accept that you never directly said: "atheists lack morals, and this lack of morals, stemming from their atheism, makes them evil."

Does this then mean you think atheists can be moral, benign, and non-murderous people? Because that would be flip-flopping from your earlier position of "not killing in the name of atheism" being a cop-out.

~ Wandering Scribe

edit on 17/7/12 by Wandering Scribe because: couldn't get the quote-box to quote quotation marks... my head hurts from typing that

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
You all have got me studying and looking up atheism. (Which literally makes me want to cry) I've gotta be honest with ya all.

It is a cop out. Cowards.

Even if your right and God in some form doesn't exist - it doesn't matter - because if your wrong - you've caused harm and damage upon other souls. Serious harm and damage. It costs you nothing to leave others alone with their beliefs and faith. Nothing. (Remember you all are less than what - 2% of 7 billion?)

That is enough - for me to turn away from atheism. But you all go ahead and do what you do. Ego is gratified by tearing others down.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

BS, religion is #1cause of conflict and murder. period.. irrefutable .

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

Originally posted by CirqueDeTruth
Even if your right and God in some form doesn't exist - it doesn't matter - because if your wrong - you've caused harm and damage upon other souls. Serious harm and damage.

Wait... How do my personal beliefs cause harm and damage upon other souls? What "serious damage" do my THOUGHTS cause?

It costs you nothing to leave others alone with their beliefs and faith.

What? Having and stating my beliefs does not, in any way, affect others and THEIR beliefs and faith... We can all have our own beliefs and talk about them.

Ego is gratified by tearing others down.

So, does your ego feel better for calling us "cowards"?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpookyVince

You're mixing it.

Religious terrorism is killing for religious reasons.

The Khmer, Mao or Stalin have not killed because of atheism.

Their reasons were other.

But they were indeed atheists. Clearly their lack of belief in absolute morality and the belief that upon death there is nothing else has completely destroyed their compassion. To them when you die nothing else happens so they don't care about the sanctity of life nor believe that it exists. Atheists also have no absolute purpose for living. They have a very pessimistic view of life in general.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You keep telling yourself your actions and thoughts have no affect on others. If it helps you sleep at night, who am I to argue?

As far as egotism goes... Well I suppose so. I am human are I not? Or do you wish to make me something more?

Of course I struggle with egotism. Really...is that your argument? As though I don't know my own failings as a human being and imperfect?

Strike...try again.

Despite my failings, I don't infringe upon others beliefs or failings for that matter....at least I try not to. Now that I have said as much, murphy's law will crawl up to bite me in the arse....

Such is the way of the human condition...or have you not realized that yet?

edit on 17-7-2012 by CirqueDeTruth because: More thoughts

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

Originally posted by CirqueDeTruth
You keep telling yourself your actions and thoughts have no affect on others.

I said NOTHING about actions. Must you put words in my mouth to argue with me?

As far as egotism goes... Well I suppose so. I am human are I not? Or do you wish to make me something more?

Of course I struggle with egotism.

You brought ego into this, not me.

Really...is that your argument?

No. My argument is that my personal beliefs cannot possibly cause harm and damage upon other souls, as YOU claim.

Despite my failings, I don't infringe upon others beliefs or failings for that matter....

I don't impose my thoughts or beliefs on others either. Let me remind you of what you said about others failings:

But you all go ahead and do what you do. Ego is gratified by tearing others down.

You accuse atheists of gratifying their egos by tearing others down... :shk: Sorry, I don't think you're as all-fired evolved as you try to portray.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoolerAbdullah786

You're mixing it.

But they were indeed atheists. Clearly their lack of belief in absolute morality and the belief that upon death there is nothing else has completely destroyed their compassion. To them when you die nothing else happens so they don't care about the sanctity of life nor believe that it exists. Atheists also have no absolute purpose for living. They have a very pessimistic view of life in general.

You're not getting it...

While religious belief is the reason religious terrorists kill, the Khmer Rouge didn't kill because they were atheists...they did so because they wanted to preserve their power, and therefore didn't allow ANY other means of mass control.

I'm sure most Khmer Rouge ate mostly rice...but "rice" wasn't the reason they committed those crimes

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Indeed?

Well, to each their own. Blessing upon you and yours in light and love.

Cirque

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I watched Year Zero, the documentary on this part of history of Cambodia. It really was a terrible thing. Bodies just piled in pits and so on. But, this whole topic is just reminding me that we typically murder for personal reasons and ideals, be it political or religious. We literally walk on the backs of others. This is why survival of the fittest just does not work in our 'kingdom.' It's the reason why the world is the way it is. Some people are just too greedy to accept coexistence, and it's things like political and religious establishments that keep us separated, that's why most of them are there in the first place! Divide and conquer, which leads to being controlled. But even animals coexist in some ways because they aren't extreme in their nature. I've never seen packs of lions going around gorging on many kills all at once, rather they get one and are satisfied with it. We just keep going until we scoop up everything, and then all that's left is a pile of bones, like what happened in Cambodia.

"Greed has poisoned men's souls, has barricaded the world with hate, has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed."

I don't see Atheism being a good excuse for the genocide in Cambodia anyway. It's a pretty poor one. They killed for power. If anything, this just proves that any form of extremism can lead to suffering.

Balance is key.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch
atheism is a belief, no evidence supports it as a fact.

I was going to reply, but the comment is just to stupid for words.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

So you post opinionated drivel, nothing but a rant really, with no supporting evidence. Then you claim evidence of others...... I have never heard anyone proclaim they are murdering in the name of nothingness, which is exactly what an athiest crusader would be doing.....

I know how logic and evidence can be confusing but again...Stalin Mao and Pol Pot.
Those simple names are ALL the evidence I need show. They are murdered millions in the name of nothingness.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

Originally posted by CoolerAbdullah786

You're mixing it.

You're not getting it...

While religious belief is the reason religious terrorists kill, the Khmer Rouge didn't kill because they were atheists...they did so because they wanted to preserve their power, and therefore didn't allow ANY other means of mass control.

I'm sure most Khmer Rouge ate mostly rice...but "rice" wasn't the reason they committed those crimes

No No no you are not getting it.
Your assumption is wrong. Pol Pot wanted a atheist state, Pol Pot and his communists had power and wanted to change society.
Power was a minor issue, pol pot was restructuring the country.
Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge killed because they saw no value in human life and intelligence.
Making excuses doesnt work, the history is the evidence
Go research the history.

Atheism is a belief system

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by borntowatch

Originally posted by TKDRL

So you post opinionated drivel, nothing but a rant really, with no supporting evidence. Then you claim evidence of others...... I have never heard anyone proclaim they are murdering in the name of nothingness, which is exactly what an athiest crusader would be doing.....

I know how logic and evidence can be confusing but again...Stalin Mao and Pol Pot.
Those simple names are ALL the evidence I need show. They are murdered millions in the name of nothingness.
I wouldn't call it nothingness.
Are you saying you need to believe in God to kill, and that that some how gives the killing some reason? It really sounds like you're vaguely advocating murder, as long as there's a deity behind it.

Look, you either don't murder or you do, and unless you're completely bonkers, you're going to kill for a reason. Whether it's psychopathy (extremely egocentric), or "God", or politics, or control, or profit, or whatever, people will take out others to realize that goal. That's not "nothingness", that's reason. We don't have to agree with that reason, but that disagreement is what would get us killed.

If this were centuries ago during the Inquisition, and I said I do not believe in Christianity but something else, I would have probably been eviscerated. Is that reason really any better? It's the same thing. Killing is killing.

It all falls on control by fear. If we disagree with authority, authority punishes us to stay in line. The extremity of the authority will dictate how far that punishment goes, all the way up to genocide. This is why punishment was usually made public... to scare people into falling in line. Always with the fear... you don't need a God or absence of a God to know that fear spells control.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

The big difference is religious wars are fought over religion. Stalin didn't murder all of his people because he was an atheist. He murdered all of his people because he was a sociopath. It's like saying ice cream is evil because an ice cream maker happened to be a serial killer.

Are you serious about this?

Edit: Also, while atheism can be a belief system, it isn't by definition. It is the LACK of a belief system. Is a child who is too young to comprehend such things following a belief system by not actively practicing a religion or believing in a god? I am technically an atheist. But to me it's not a belief system. I just DON'T believe in any specific gods or follow any religion. I avoid those sorts of beliefs. Here's another analogy: some people have cancer. Other people don't. And that's it. Some people believe in religion. And other people don't. It's binary: 1 and 0. Atheism is not a belief system by default.
edit on 7/17/2012 by OrphenFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by pushmepullu

BS, religion is #1cause of conflict and murder. period.. irrefutable .

Atheism/communism has killed more people than all the religious wars together, thats a fact
Stalin caused 43 million deaths at the very least
democraticpeace.wordpress.com...

Deaths Caused by Christians:
1562-1598 – French Wars of Religion – France – 4 million
1095-1291 – Crusades to the Holy Land – Middle East, Spain, Africa – 1.5 million (This does include all sides of the conflict)
1184-c. 1860 – Various Christian Inquisitions – Europe – 17,500
scottfromsc.blogspot.com.au...

Let me mock your inane comments some more, read this site that exposes your ignorance
thekingdomcome.com...

Atheism is a religion with a fairly hefty death toll, so effectively you are also right.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by OrphenFire

The big difference is religious wars are fought over religion. Stalin didn't murder all of his people because he was an atheist. He murdered all of his people because he was a sociopath. It's like saying ice cream is evil because an ice cream maker happened to be a serial killer.

Are you serious about this?

Atheism is a religion, that was one of my points.
Its a belief.
Stalin murdered people based on darwinist teachings
www.nightmareofdisbelief.com...

This has nothing to do with icecream and everything to do with belief. Dont be silly.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join