It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I thought about survival situations since I was a kid (Am I alone?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
My family was pretty normal, you know... Drunken abusive father and all that. But even before all of that, I was mentally creating situations in my mind as a "what if?" and ways to overcome these obstacles. I believe I started doing this when I was around 8, and some of it was fighting but most of it was living in the forest at that age. When I was in my mid-teens it really picked up and it was a daily thought process, a way to become stronger and better prepared. At the same time my dad was... well, as previously described so I believe I was more or less channeling my anger somewhere and also finding ways to survive outside that house (which I ended up having to).

Today I don't have much anxiety and I'm pretty mellow. I had stopped thinking about survival situations for a while but in the past 2-years it's been coming on to me more and more, which makes sense because I've been learning a lot about the corruption that exists in this world. Is it normal for me be actively prepared for a lot of different situations or is this mental? Personally I believe that it's a good instinct to have but it's always hard to judge yourself.

Are you the same and what kind of experiences did you have in order to get into this mindset?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Having been brought up in Belfast N,Ireland. Through the thickest of the off the "troubles" I developed (we) quite well when it comes to a "police" state,
Ok maybe a bit overly paranoid but they where very dangerous times as a teenager in this part off the world.
To pass time we as freinds used to make our own radio station called "Status Quo FM" playing music and the like and be able to pass RV points the over the air so we could meet up.

Also we developed new ideas for building our own bases for hiding and storing "stuff" for all out occupation by militery forces and practised fixing machinery so we could develop "Survival" skills, alot off our time was spent aquiring food stuffs to store.

We where very lucky as one off our group had access too an old (empty) family farm which still had running water and gas/ electricity supply and a large field to learn how to drive various machinery, Cars, mini buses, moter cycles.

As we lived near an active militery camp there was always plenty off helicopter activity using search lights to check the camps surrounding areas, So we became quite apt at dodging the "Nite Sun" (and follow up patrols if spotted) as it was known then,

We where all fairly well skilled in hunting and tracking small game (lambs) and knew are area well for the likes off poaching fish and gathering wood for the fires.
This is how i started out becoming an alround survivalist.
Next came my militery career, Which if you look at my avitere is not far off the mark for my Army trade.
I havnt done so bad in my life and still regulary check on my bug out (urban) locations, I am on the big wind down (hopfully) for early retirment so have made plans to super insulate my home with various plans for self growing/brewing/planting must have essentials.

edit on 17-7-2012 by foxhoundone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Hey, I think it is perfectly reasonable to prepare for such a situation, If anything I believe it would be irrational not to do so considering the chaotic nature of the planet and the human species, the world hardly goes a day without a catastophe of some sort somewhere, only a matter of time before it's our turn. Personally I am trying to learn bush craft skills and currently investing in my long term survival kit, which I think everyone should be doing really, I don't profess to be an expert on the economy but if what I believe is coming based on in the information as I percieve it (economic collapse) it's probably going to be a better quality of life surviving off of the land yourself than remaining in the cities with a large group of panicky and unpredictable people.... Although I have yet to make a practical attempt at this kind of living so I may be speaking too soon, I do hope to make a future thread letting people know how it goes. If anyone cares to know that is.

xo

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Em2013

I have always been aware of 'human nature', so subsequently I was always aware of how possible a nuclear Armageddon for example could be.
It didn't take me long to realize that there are just so many ways a 'survival situation' can come about.

But at the time I didn't think of it in the trying to survive it sense, well not like one would typically think of today.

I have always wanted to live off the land in a hunter/gatherer fashion tho, this is something that has interested me since I can remember.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by 2Dtrees

Hi 2Dtrees, gave you your first star so im looking forword to your thread, But a word off caution there are "hardcore" ATS survivalist members on here so be prepared to get "motovated" to be polite in the right direction so to speak.

Im very lucky as i have a vast knowledge off my hometown, Belfast. theres enough old (still maintained) reinforced large buildings ready for me and my group to occupy and settle down to plan a new start, The buidings are left over from the "Troubles" and are built to very high standards to resist explosions and morter fire and VIEDs and most have there own water supply and back up generaters, These include garages, farms,a hospital and off course Police stations (training and search centeres) not to mention various other places. (A hotel believe it or not)
So its the urban survival strategy for me my friend, Cannot picture me living in the sticks and enjoying it much way to cold and damp for my likings,

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I've been of these beliefs since I was in my late teens that somehow I need to be prepared for the worst case scenario, I adopted a heavy drinking hobby in my twenties, which for the most part I was to drunk to care about these end scenarios, and when I basically quit drinking at thirty, those thoughts and feelings returned, now at forty one I understand that when I was younger I could see the world degenerating into what it had become, nowadays I've learned to be prepared within reason, without going overboard about it

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Em2013

Nope. It was part of my life growing up. It is that way for a lot of rural folks, and religious folks, and even criminal element folks. I still use a lot of what I learned watching The Godfather.
Always survey the room when you walk in, know where the exits are, know who poses a potential threat, and then sit where you can face the entrances, and get to an exit quickly. That lesson is a great one in this day and age of occasional mass shootings, even if you aren't a mobster.

My 5 year old son has a great survival mind. He has always had it, although now he is getting a little older and we are developing it. But he has always worried about things like having water in the tornado closet, and making sure I have my knife and gun on me, etc.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
No, youre not alone.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Thanks! It feels good to know that I'm not alone and that these thoughts seem rational. I don't go overboard and have just enough to get by without a home if needed and it's packed for two. Maybe it'll be used legitimately one day but I hope it doesn't come to that. Sometimes I think yes, it should happen because it would be nice but then I think of everyone and realize that not many are remotely prepared. I'm not exactly a "bushman" myself, and the odds of surviving in the wilderness will be against me for sure. But at least I have some preparations to make it easier and improve my chances of said survival situations.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Em2013

Ever hear of the Boy Scouts?
Same thing. The purpose of their fraternity of brothers (and sisters) is to teach survival techniques to children and they have been at it for quite awhile. You are FAR from alone.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Em2013
My family was pretty normal, you know... Drunken abusive father and all that. But even before all of that, I was mentally creating situations in my mind as a "what if?" and ways to overcome these obstacles. I believe I started doing this when I was around 8, and some of it was fighting but most of it was living in the forest at that age. When I was in my mid-teens it really picked up and it was a daily thought process, a way to become stronger and better prepared. At the same time my dad was... well, as previously described so I believe I was more or less channeling my anger somewhere and also finding ways to survive outside that house (which I ended up having to).

Today I don't have much anxiety and I'm pretty mellow. I had stopped thinking about survival situations for a while but in the past 2-years it's been coming on to me more and more, which makes sense because I've been learning a lot about the corruption that exists in this world. Is it normal for me be actively prepared for a lot of different situations or is this mental? Personally I believe that it's a good instinct to have but it's always hard to judge yourself.

Are you the same and what kind of experiences did you have in order to get into this mindset?

I more or less could have written this post. I've always found it strange. Like I might actually be preparing for something.

For serious.

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by iwilliam

Maybe we're just part of the few that still listens to natural instincts instead of what others tell us what to think?

posted on Jul, 27 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
When I played outside as a kid I would always have my eye out for things I could use to build a shelter in the woods near my house. When my shelter was to my satisfaction I would stock it with canned food, toilet paper and anything I thought could be useful if I had to live alone in my makeshift shelter. I would camoflage it as best I could so nobody would know it was there and had certain sticks and rocks strategicly placed inside and out to protect myself from visitors whom I always thought would take over my shelter and food. At the time I was convinced I was doing this for a reason and was very driven. It was kinda weird now that I look back. On the other hand I learned how to make a shelter out of anything.

top topics

join