It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Job Starting Tomorrow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
After nearly a year and a half of being unemployed, I'm starting a new job tomorrow.

Let me give you some background. About two years ago, I quit my job I got fed up with being treated like they owned me. It wasn't just me. They treated everyone with the same contempt and disrespect. The turnover at that place was ridiculous. They would lose at least one person once a month or so. After I left there, I picked up a newsp[aper delivery route. It was a motor route, though, and with the rising cost of gasoline, I had to quit after about six months.

I was staying with my mother who was up in years and didn't mind me being there to help around the house. When she passed away, my brother set me up in an apartment next to him because he had prostate cancer and was getting weaker and needed someone to help out with groceries, laundry, and whatever he needed done that he couldn't do himself. He passed away in April, but before he died, he paid the rent on my apartment for six months. So, I've had a place to stay and get groceries with food stamps.

Since this past February, I've been working at Goodwill through a Job Service program for veterans. It's only 12 hours a week, but it has given me enough to pay my utilities on the apartment. I turned 55 in June which qualified me for a program called "Generations" which is a job training program for older people that are homeless or otherwise disadvantaged.

The lady at Generations found out that I had experience as a restaurant cook and got me an interview with the Victory Center, a local homeless shelter. They were in desperate need of someone to take charge of the kitchen because the woman that was doing it had recently quit. The job will only be 20 hours a week to start and I will be on the Generations payroll. But, if they like my work, the Victory Center has the option of hiring me directly later on. My long term goal right now is to learn the job and do the best I can and hopefully be hired on as the kitchen manager.

I feel it will be rewarding to provide meals for the homeless. They also run a food pantry. I'm looking forward to it.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
I feel it will be rewarding to provide meals for the homeless.

Right on. This sounds like a very good thing for you and for the people you will be helping out.

Congrats!

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

Good to hear you will be back in the saddle again!
When you recieve your first paycheck, go online and purchase One Troy Ounce
of Silver. Choose the supplier at your own liking.
Continue to do so Every Pay Period.
Someday, you will have a stack of Silver Troy Ounces.
Of far greater value than today.

Best, and get to work EARLY!

edit on 17-7-2012 by Wildmanimal because: spelling correction

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by AkumaStreak

Thank you. Yes, this will give me a chance to "pay it forward", as they say.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

Thank you. Sounds like good advice. I intend to get some good sleep tonight and be there bright and early tomorrow.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Congratulations. That type of work is also very rewarding. Once you're unemployed over the age of 50 it gets tough to find work. I also know that first-hand. I haven't heard of the program you spoke of, but perhaps it's different from state to state.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Congratulations, but be wsrueof good wills slave labor ring.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by visualmiscreant

Thank you. I think the program is a local area thing. Here's a link to their web site, if you're interested. The page says 60 and older, but the program I'm on is for 55 and older.

Generations Area Agency on Aging

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by showintail

Thank you. Actually, the Goodwill store I was working at had some good people. I didn't have any problems with anyone there.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
My condolences for the loss of your Mother and Brother.

Congratulations on the new gig!
I hope it works out for you!!!

and btw... I LOVE Goodwills!

I'm poor as dirt lol
but there is this one good will that I have bought about 200 dollars worth of tools at for about 20 bucks no joke.
(over the course of a year or so)

I wish you all the best!

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Thank you for your kindness and encouragement.

The one thing I didn't like about working at Goodwill is that I wasn't allowed to buy anything from the store on days that I worked. I don't know how many times I would see something that I really wanted, but had to wait for my day off only to find it was gone. Very disappointing.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by N3k9Ni

Thats a terrible rule!

Great for consumers of course...

But come on you gotta treat your workers...

Its not like you wasnt gonna buy it.... oh well

Oh I worked in the food biz for a while... I loved it

If I were rich and ambitious I would start a restaurant and cook cook cook lol

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Congratulations and I hope your new job is everything you hope to get out of it. I recently accepted a job that they told me had a turnover of one week. They scheduled me 7 days straight (and this was a very dirty and physically strenuous job). Not to mention that it was minimum wage with no chance to move up and offered no periodical raises.

Guess how long I stayed with them? 6 days before I called the guy who hired me and told him, "Thanks for the opportunity, but I won't be showing up tomorrow or ever again."

I guess I just helped lower their average turnover

I just got turned down from a job interview last week because they told me I was overqualified and that there were no open positions.

edit on 17-7-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-7-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

top topics

join