It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You don't need anything to quit... Except a little common sense

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xoanon
Here OP, I got one for you.

I appreciate your zeal but have you ever considered that some folks are just made to consume poisons? Some more than others anyhow. Not in immediately fatal doses, necessarily; just enough.

No, for real, I'm not jokesterizing you, Homes, check it. In Vedic astrology Rahu and Ketu are the head and the tail of the Serpent respectively. Those whose astrological particulars lean towards Rahu, the head, tend more towards poisons and fiddling with and consuming them. They are also usually very fine cooks amongst other glowing qualities. Imagine those who have lots of Rahu.

So, I am taking great liberties with ayurveda and vedic astrolgy, but ah well, that's the gist of it.

People like tobacco and the constituents of just about all the Nightshades, really.

Our ancient ancestors likely crossed in to North America chewing on wads from their stash of black henbane.

Also, we have e-cigs now and there is no need to smoke. The e-cigs are a superior delivery device for nicotine as any experienced Vapeur can tell you.

X.

Xoa,

I'm right there with ya I get what your sayin. Yeah some are just meant to smoke. I happen to be one of those people that wanted a better quality of life. I made the choice and stopped. I tried ecigs and I still wanted a real one. All the time. I still want one now. But I just choose not too.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ucantcme
reply to post by bftroop

You are right. I am a recovering nicotine addict myself going on almost a year and I know what you mean about smoking one will turn into smoking all. I am right there with you.

It's funny that the most common excuse not to quit smoking is completely bunk. "It relieves stress" No it doesn't!! It only appears to because a smoker is fiening for their next hit. They are in withdrawal so when they smoke of course it relieves their stress!

I am much happier not smoking but I still get the cravings from time to time it just becomes easier to ignore.

I don't miss being in either a constant sate of withdrawal or overdose always feeling like crap

Finally someone that understands, congrats and keep it up. Yes I want them too. I just say know and eat some food (kidding) sunflowers seeds are an awesome replacement for the nico jitters. Keep up the good work.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by bftroop

There are none more sanctimonious than an x smoker...

See I'm not an "exsmoker" I'm a smoker and always will be. I'm a decision maker and decide not too. No more or less superior than anyone. And it's more pride. Thanks for the support.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Cold Turkey...Cold showers (especially in the heart of winter) helps snap you back into reality...

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Liejunkie has been wanting to quit for a while now.

My excuses are: my boss pisses me off sometimes, I do not want to be mean to my kids(such as snapping at them over something little), my ole lady can really get under my skin sometimes(this will be amplified 100 fold not lighting up), anger issues( which is all of my list)

Reasons for quiting are: health, I work in the extreme heat up and down ladders all day( I huff and puff), cost(a pack and a half a day is killing me) last and most important is my children.

I will give it a go here soon. I think I will pick the weekend so I can get the first few days out of the way not working. I will take the jon boat out and enjoy nature. That is as long as the damn motor doesn't give me troubles, I might be paddling myself back to the boat dock after throwing my outboard in the lake
I don't know if i could handle that without a smoke

edit on 17-7-2012 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

It is said that cigarettes contain thousands of chemicals. Based on the OP, I wonder which one(s) are responsible for keeping people from being judgmental pains?

Whichever one it is, I'm glad I'm getting enough of it to be able to mind my own business and not turn into a Jehovah's Witness for the Church of Anti-Smoking. I'd personally rather have an addiction to nicotine and the odor of smoke around me instead of the habit of constantly shoving my nose where it's not wanted and annoying others with my 'superior lifestyle'.

Keep your 'common sense' to yourself, OP. I don't need saving from myself.

TheRedneck

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

I didn't judge anyone here. I told the truth about what happens when your a smoker. I never said I was better, smarter or superior to anyone. I pointed out what the truth is.

Hmmmm I would say your kinda shoving your nose where it doesn't belong and the superior one is the guy that has the *moderator next to his name. Interesting that you get to speak your mind but you don't want me to speak mine. Maybe they should take your stripes and make you a member again.

I'm sorry I shouldn't have done that you might delete the thread or ban me. My common sense tell me that maybe you need to keep your nose out where it doesn't belong.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Kastogere

Good advice. the choking thing probably not. Smoking your last one before bed is a great way to start. Two snaps and a circle.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by bftroop
Vaping is untested, unsecure and just replacing what you like to do get your fix. I used ecigs too and as soon as I couldn't get the nic juice. I went and bought a pack of smokes. Vaping is no better than, gum, inhalers or patches. To get off of nicotine. You just have to stop. Period.

I don't vape but :
Untested, yes.

Unsecure, who knows, it's untested, but I'm pretty sure that it's safer than smoking.

Just a replacement, yes I know and I wouldn't have a problem with that.

It isn't about getting off nicotine.

I see your main points as being health, smell and stressing out over the next fix. Given that there are less harmful and un-stinky ways of getting a nic fix I think your two first points are moot.

Freaking out about the next fix is just poor planning. I have never actually felt what you speak of but if I was that kind of addict I would just stock up.
edit on 18-7-2012 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by bftroop

I didn't judge anyone here.

Really? Forget what you wrote in the OP? Let me remind you...

Originally posted by bftroop

Stop being a bunch of sissies and put them down. I know it relieves stress, it relaxes you, if I don't smoke one you'll kill someone, they keep me from gaining weight,

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I didn't specifically say Hey Redneck this is for you!! Read it. If you want to smoke I'm not tellin ya not too. I'm saying this is how I see it. And I'm allowed. No need to replay. Agree to disagree. Stale mate...

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Yeah man it's hard I'm not sayin that. You have to fill in time to replace when you smoke. Sunflowers seeds work well.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by bftroop

No - you didn't say "hey Redneck". You said "hey SMOKERS"! As if that is my whole identity. I am not a mother, grandmother, sister, daughter, worker, taxpayer, woman. I am just a smoker.

Well I stand with Redneck. Its time people who chose to smoke got militant with the LIES of the tobacco control industry. I chose to smoke. I am an adult. I pay cash money for my choice. That money funds infrastructure, education, health care and even golf course.

I am entitled to respect. You take away my dignity when you instruct me that the only places I can smoke are in a back-ally beside the dumpster.

So how about if you simply mind your own business. If you chose to quit - good for you! But you have absolutely NOTHING to say to those who chose differently.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by bftroop

It's a futile effort to try and make a smoker understand the impact that their habit has on society.

I'm not talking about their personal habits.

I'm talking about the fact that smoking is such a disgusting habit that it literally cuts into productivity whenever a smoker is out the door to take a drag.

I have seen nurses (mostly nurses) go outside to take a drag every half hour like clockwork. I imagine they would be more productive (and probably happier) if they didn't have that burden.

People, for the love of god, QUIT!

You want the right to smoke? I want my right to not have to walk around in a cloud of smoke!

Keep in mind, this is a RANT and I eat/drink things that will probably hurt me too down the road. I base my hatred of cigarettes on all the years that my mother insisted on smoking in the house, in the family cars, etc.
edit on 18-7-2012 by The Sword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by bftroop

You know what. I'm smoking right now. And I've been trying to kick it for a while. I'm going to be a mench and toss the rest of them. You post gave me motivation. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by bftroop

Wow! Just what the world needs - more dictators enforcing their petty zealotries on others.

Why can't people keep their noses in their own backyards and leave others alone?

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

...it literally cuts into productivity whenever a smoker is out the door to take a drag.

Hello? The only reason people have to step outside is because the anti-smoking campaign made it impossible to smoke anywhere else. Now you complain about the very policies you put in place, the same policies that cause people to stand around in rain, cold, heat, etc. just to get a little pleasure in their day?

Let's get real here... smokers have to stop productivity because they have been restricted from smoking indoors. They tend to get sick more because they are herded like cattle into the elements. They are forced to smoke carpet glue, for crying out loud, in 'fire-safe' cigarettes while listening to people harp about how many dangerous chemicals are in cigarette smoke!

These are human beings, and people like you treat them worse than an animal. Indeed, tie your dog outside in inclement weather every hour for ten minutes and pour carpet glue in its food... you'll be arrested for animal cruelty! But do it to a human... no problem.

Don't lobby for the regs then complain when people have to obey them.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by bftroop

Agree to disagree.

Oh, my bad. We should agree to disagree, especially since you already have the argument biased in your favor through non-smoking laws and regulations across the entire country which already make me a second-class citizen.

NOT!

Nope, not this time. You called me out as a smoker. I responded. You can have your opinion, sure, but so can I. And my opinion is that your opinion is nothing more than self-righteous indignant intrusion into other people's lives where you are not wanted or needed.

Leave my smokes alone! Enough is enough!

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
For some people its not as psychologically simple as just not putting the fag in your mouth though.

The excuses are just that though, excuses. I studied how nicotine is metabised, and it only relaxes you if you take in large doses at one time, such as a smoker who takes big long drags, whereas if you take small doses in short small drags, nicotine becomes a stimulant, raising your heart rate and some chemicals in your brain.

The other excuse of appetite suppressant is a false excuse I discovered, as the side-effect of nicotine releasing the satiety chemicals in your brain and raising your metabism only affects a tiny percentage of people, so weight-gain worries shouldn't be a legitimate excuse.

It is still very hard to give up though, and it is a biological addiction, not just a psychological addiction, when you give up or don't have a ciggie after a few hours, your brain literally soaks itself I'm chemicals that signal your.craving, much like food addiction with plump people.

Good thread

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Actually it isn't stressful at all.

I make 1 trip every two months to the Indian Rez on the East end of the Island. I enjoy the 1.5 hour with my dog and I spend 300 dollars, saving about 600 dollars. I very much enjoy the ride and the savings. I also very much enjoy smoking.

Should I quit? Of course I should. It's a health risk.
-I just wanted to point out that not everyone lives pack to pack for 6 bucks or more.
It's kind of like going Price Club vs going to Waldbaums. 1 giant trip, generic brand and you save major.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by bftroop

I was a pack a day man for over 38 years. Loved it, even played in the ashtrays. I quit three years ago, because my lovely wife asked me to. Since that time, I may have smoked 10 cigarettes, never a whole one at one time, I know better than that. I find that it still pleases me, and I am not buying anymore. When I quit cigs were costing me a little over $90 a month. They have went up considerably since. I see people I know that always have cigarettes, but they don't have anything else to speak of, no job, no income. How do they do this?

My years of smoking provided me with some gifts.
Chronic cough
Emphysema
Diminished lung capacity

Keep smoking, you will get these gifts also.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join