It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You don't need anything to quit... Except a little common sense

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ucantcme
"It relieves stress" No it doesn't!!

I agree with you. I think it causes the stress after not having one for a certain time, and then "relieves" that stress once you smoke.

I was far less stressed when I wasn't smoking and eating healthy.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap
They sell E cigs at the gas stations around here. Claytons are one of the brands. Seems pretty cheap stuff.

I'd be interested in using them if I didn't have an unreal fear of one blowing up in my face.

They don't really blow up, they just vent hot gases really, really fast

You don't really have anything to worry about in most cases. There are e-cigs called "mods" which are basically different battery options for whatever atomizer or cartomizer you wish to use. There are models that use pretty much any batteries you can think of, within reason. Most use batteries that are usually meant for high-end flashlights. Various capacities of various chemical makeups.

If you aren't using one of those, the chance of having a battery bust is extremely low. Most e-cig specific batteries have a lot of safety features to avoid such issues. Charging is where the main risk of fire comes from. Unless you charge the battery in your face, you should be good to go.

And with such small capacity batteries used in most e-cig specific models (like the e-cigs that look like regular cigarettes, more or less) the actually energy there that would "blow up" is low enough anyway that it wouldn't be very dangerous.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

It is said that cigarettes contain thousands of chemicals. Based on the OP, I wonder which one(s) are responsible for keeping people from being judgmental pains?

Whichever one it is, I'm glad I'm getting enough of it to be able to mind my own business and not turn into a Jehovah's Witness for the Church of Anti-Smoking. I'd personally rather have an addiction to nicotine and the odor of smoke around me instead of the habit of constantly shoving my nose where it's not wanted and annoying others with my 'superior lifestyle'.

Keep your 'common sense' to yourself, OP. I don't need saving from myself.

TheRedneck

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
I'd quit smoking, but I'd likely choke the crap outta someone.

Im kinda high strung so it evens me out. I do want to quit smoking though when I grow up maybe.

Although I learned, you should never replace nicotine with more nicotine...it just makes you cave back into smoking.

Im workin up the moxie to give er another go...at one point i had quit for over 2 years, then got extremely angry and started again.

My advice? Quit cold turkey, smoke yer last one before bed, then wake up and jog a mile and a half then do some push ups. Do that for a few days and you wont smoke...you'll be too busy wheezing and hacking.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Easier said then done for some OP.
Everybody is different and I do agree that quitting is mostly mental you can't dispute the physical withdrawals. Like I said everybody is different and that goes all the way around.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Smoking is the most disgusting, smelly, unattractive and pointless habit ever

And not just expensive because the cigs themselves are so overpriced - but I use so much perfume to mask the smell that I go through a £38 bottle EVERY month, also the chewing gum and mouthwash I constantly have on the go costs a small fortune.

I would love to give up, I don't understand why I have never been able to... I have gone for weeks without but then something will stress me out and that's it, back to square one....

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by bftroop

Smoking was the DUMBEST thing I ever did in my life. I still regret it and I only smoked for 2 years off and on. I can't believe I was so fracking bored that I was willing to suck cancer causing smoke into my lungs just for the hell of it, AND it doesn't even get you high. Seriously stupid. I can't even stand the smell anymore. Damn it I was so dumb....ugh...

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by paradisepurple
Smoking is the most disgusting, smelly, unattractive and pointless habit ever

And not just expensive because the cigs themselves are so overpriced - but I use so much perfume to mask the smell that I go through a £38 bottle EVERY month, also the chewing gum and mouthwash I constantly have on the go costs a small fortune.

I would love to give up, I don't understand why I have never been able to... I have gone for weeks without but then something will stress me out and that's it, back to square one....

Instead of smoking, go for a run instead, lift weights or do a living room workout. It works much better than smoking as far as relieving stress.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

It is said that cigarettes contain thousands of chemicals. Based on the OP, I wonder which one(s) are responsible for keeping people from being judgmental pains?

Whichever one it is, I'm glad I'm getting enough of it to be able to mind my own business and not turn into a Jehovah's Witness for the Church of Anti-Smoking. I'd personally rather have an addiction to nicotine and the odor of smoke around me instead of the habit of constantly shoving my nose where it's not wanted and annoying others with my 'superior lifestyle'.

Keep your 'common sense' to yourself, OP. I don't need saving from myself.

TheRedneck

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

Forget it. Go ahead and kill yourself if you want. Just don't think of your family when you do it. Obviously they don't care at all...
edit on 17-7-2012 by OrchusGhule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by paradisepurple

To those who argue that smoking does not relieve stress....what a crock!!!!!

Of course smoking relieves stress. That is one reason why smokers smoke. Then you try some psychological argument that smoking DOESN'T relieve stress because the stress .....wait for it...Comes back?????

It must be true. Smoking doesn't relieve stress because the stress COMES BACK!!!!!

So lets examine other forms of stress release. Deep breathing seems to work for some people. But I notice that after you do deep breathing exercises....OMG...the stress COMES BACK!!!! - so no way does deep breathing relieve stress.

Some say exercise. So you go to the gym and beat on the treadmill and lift those wieghts. Afterwards, you feel good, relaxed and tired. But the next day...OMG...the stress COMES BACK!! - so now way exercise relieve stress.

Some say meditation. So you start OMMING all over the joint. Afterwards, you are relaxed and loose as a goose but soon...wait for it...OMG the stress COMES BACK!!!!!

Does anyone every think critically about what anti-tobacco is telling you?

As for nicotene being addictive???

Well that all depends on how you define the word "addictive"

In April, seven chief executives of tobacco companies testified before a Congressional subcommittee that nicotine was not addictive. Experts in addiction, while disagreeing with that assessment, say that the definition of addiction is evolving, and that they can see how such a statement might be made. Hearings on Smoking

www.nytimes.com...

www.mta.ac.il...

The study was published in the Journal of Abnormal Psychology. The study, conducted by Professor Frenk and Professor Reuven Dar, maintains that the generally held belief that people crave to increase their nicotine levels, when blood nicotine levels drop is incorrect. Instead, this is a psychological and not physiological need due to habit. If we realize and accept the fact that we cannot smoke at any given time, we do not feel the need to do so.

Smokers find smoking PLEASURABLE. It is difficult for human beings to turn away from the things they find PLEASURABLE.

If nicotene was addictive, nobody would ever give up using the patch!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Thank you for putting in writing Redneck what was bursting out of my head!!

Must be great OP to have such a strong opinion of yourself and your willpower and then belittle the others.

I do not think that was how you meant to come accross but you cannot be great at everything!!

Well done and good luck.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by OrchusGhule

Got news for you... every doctor who told me smoking was going to kill me is... DEAD! I can actually justify my dislike of doctors by saying I don't visit doctors because I don't want them to die.

Here's the harsh truth: we're all going to die. You, me, everyone reading this, everyone who doesn't read this... all will die. Some people will die of lung cancer, despite never having smoked. Some will die of something completely unrelated to smoking who have smoked their whole life.

Some will have a good time living, while some will be miserable. I plan on enjoying my life rather than spending all my time worrying about what is going to kill me. You may disagree with that all you want... it's your life... but once you step between me and a nice quiet smoke, you just quit living your life and started trying to live mine.

You want to tell me how to live? Fine... I'll listen as soon as you outlive me and every other human on the planet, all the time experiencing pure joy every moment of every day with no pain, illness, or disease. Until then... mind your own business!

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
i accept there may be negative health implications from smoking. i don't accept the level of oppressive legislation directed at smokers. every day, if i go outside, i am breathing in highly toxic automobile exhaust fumes. these fumes are poison. where's the oppressive legislation and demonisation of that?

toxicity challenge;

subject A and subject B are in identical garages, no windows, doors closed.
subject A's garage contains many boxes of cigarettes and matches.
subject B's garage contains a car.
at the signal, subject A begins smoking one cigarette after another, while subject B starts the car.
whoever dies first, loses.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
My life as a smoker isn't stressful or sad, atleast not from my point of view. Others may view smokers as sad, I dont view view myself any different than people who drink soda as opposed to water.

I would like to suggest to those who enjoy smoking like myself, if you want to smoke but feel the price is driving you to quit then do what ive done. Ive switched stuffing my own cigarettes which saves me $40 a carton, it only costs me $7 a carton. bagged tobaco(natural) costs me $5, box of cigarette tubes(200) costs me $2. the the machine to pack them can cost anywhere from $10-$100, I got one for $40 and its lasted 2 years so far.

For those that want to quit for health reasons, please get the help you need. For those that have to quit because of the cost, then I suggest giving the above a try.

living can kill you aswell.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I'm not trashing anyone. I'm saying that smokers can quit anytime they want. But choose not too. Smokers are addicts just like crack heads. Put them down and walk away. Don't smoke them again. It's not hard. Don't be afraid the only thing you have to lose is well nothing.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Zehll

It wasn't meant to be intelligent it was meant to get the point across. You know the truth with out the sugar coating. I smoked for 27 years and put them down. Because someone told me the truth. I smoked 2 and a half packs a day. I can tell you as much as you may think it's bullieish as you put it. It's the truth

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

Originally posted by bftroop
Ecigs will not help you quit.... It's another quick fix. If you want to quit. Stop being a Sissy and put them down.
By the way you stink like Ass and you make the people around you smell like that too. Including your kids.

Ecigs have helped some quite smoking. Vaping an e-cig is better than smoking and they don't stink so I guess I'm not seeing your point.

Vaping is untested, unsecure and just replacing what you like to do get your fix. I used ecigs too and as soon as I couldn't get the nic juice. I went and bought a pack of smokes. Vaping is no better than, gum, inhalers or patches. To get off of nicotine. You just have to stop. Period.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
You contradicted yourself. First you said you are a recovering smoker but then you called out all the current smokers and said that's not you.

Then you go on to smear other people who do other things. Putting them down as though smoking a cigarette is akin to drinking or other things.

It is one in itself.

It's addictive yes. And if you haven't realized a large number of humans enjoy addictive things. And if it's not cigarettes it may be booze and not booze it may be prescription drugs, and if not that the list goes on and on and on...

Smoking isn't all that bad. Been done for thousands of years. You may cut years off your life. Or maybe your closed mentality will lead you to a breakdown much earlier in which you don't recover from.

It's good giving up bad habits. But no reason to trash people that were in your former position. Focus on yourself.

Here's the bottom line. Nicotine is in fact the most addictive drug in the world. It also kills more people than any other type of drug on the planet. Smoking is extremely bad. And extremely hard to get off of.

I'm not trashing anyone. I am showing current smokers the truth. The truth is just because it doesn't give you a high and isn't illegal doesn't mean it's not a bad drug. As bad as any of them.

Trust me I focus on myself just fine. I just know that anyone that is a hard core smoker wants to quit and knows what I said in my post to be as factual as it gets. I apologize if you can't understand the difference between tough love and trashing people. But I do. I beat it and if I can anyone can.

Your probably young. I understand. If you smoke you should quit. And if you don't then you don't understand anything that I said in my post. It is what it is. Nicotine is in fact comparable to crack and heroin. Just ask a smoker.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by yahtzeestone
reply to post by bftroop

So, OP, besides NOT using any stop smoking aids and going cold turkey, what DID you do to overcome the mental part of it? How many times did you try and fail? Do you have any tips FOR going cold turkey?

Thanks.

Read this book.
Quite Smoking by Allen Carr

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by James1982

Originally posted by bftroop
Ecigs will not help you quit.... It's another quick fix. If you want to quit. Stop being a Sissy and put them down.
By the way you stink like Ass and you make the people around you smell like that too. Including your kids.

What you have just stated is an absolute, without a doubt, total and utter LIE. Electronic Cigarettes DO in FACT help MANY people quit. If you want to educate yourself and not be so horribly ignorant head over to the e-cig forums and read about the multitudes of people that have used them to quit. Why you insist on posting lies masked as wisdom and truth is beyond me, but it makes you look foolish. You are wrong, plain and simple, because E-Cigs have helped many people quit. They are more effective than pills, gum, and patches combined. Please stop spreading lies.

In addition E-Cigs will not make you stink. They will make you smell slightly of whatever flavor of juice you are vaping. Be it strawberry, coffee, banana, apple, bubblegum. Oh god those sound disgusting! (not)

I find the rest of your post..... well basically worthless and offensive. Smoking is an addiction because you are ADDICTED to it. Physical addiction is not in your head. "just stopping" is easier said then done. There are Cocaine users that can use tons of Cocaine for years, and then just decide to stop, and be fine. They are not the majority, they are the small, small minority. The difference is physical, they aren't any tougher, or mentally strong than anyone else.

Just like smokers. There are some people that can just decide to stop one day and never pick up another cigarette. They are the minority, not the majority. And it doesn't make them any tougher or mentally strong, it just makes them lucky in the genetic draw. Your method of encouraging smoking cessation is horribly flawed and completely worthless. It's basically nothing other than a rant mixed with abuse.

edit on 17-7-2012 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

First of all I am far from ignorant over the matter. I smoked 2 and half packs a day for 27 years. The rest of what I wrote is spot on and as a smoker and an "ex smoker" I've been there and I know first hand what I used to do as a smoker and what I went through as a smoker. I also know how the ecigs work cause I tried them too.

And as soon as I didn't have my ecig I would run right to the store to get a new pack. I also don't know how healthy it is to suck glycerin into your lungs with what ever it is they use to make it taste like strawberry. There have been no official findings on how safe they are. I would also tend to question who is mixing the liquids themselves. Not to mention what you might inhale from the atomizer itself when it burns out. The biggest problem with ecigs really is they don't feel like a cig and don't taste like a cig and the hit you get off of them is never quite the same as a real one. BTW the only way you get the hit of the ecig is if there nicotine in the liquid. So as soon as you forget to recharge it or the atomizer goes to crap or you run out of juice. Your back to smoking the real thing. And if your still sucking in nicotine from an ecig, your just using a different method of getting the addictive part of a cig in your body. But what makes it worse is you don't know if the liquid your smoking is safe. I mean do your really. So ecigs are no better than a real cig. How's that for ignorance.

I never once said anyone was mentally stronger or weaker than anybody else. My point is your addiction is no different than any other addiction.

The only way to truly quit is to walk away from it. Nothing more. The people calling me ignorant are usually the people that just don't want the truth. Sorry. It is what it is.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join