It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You don't need anything to quit... Except a little common sense

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I am a recovering smoker. I say this because all "ex-smokers" are still addicts. I haven't smoked in a year. And I can tell you if I smoke one I will smoke them all. Yes all of them.

So here's the skinny.

Stop being a bunch of sissies and put them down. I know it relieves stress, it relaxes you, if I don't smoke one you'll kill someone, they keep me from gaining weight,

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Very nicely said, this should be on posters. I do want to point one thing out though, smoking doesn't actually relax you, it reduces the extra stress/frustration/whatever you have due to your body's craving for nicotine, if you don't smoke then you're already relaxed from a smoker's point of view. Same thing has been shown for people that drink a lot of coffee thinking it gives them an energy boost.

S&F

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by bftroop

wow $7 a pak..sh8t here in oz $17-$25a pak..lucky i kicked it.ya feel much better,taste is back and can breathe a lot better.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by bftroop

I get the strategy you had in posting in this style, it was supposed to be a bit push-and-shove to encourage to quit, however as I read this I found it pretty well cringe worthy with it's playground type bullying attitude. It wasn't very intelligently conveyed.

However, I do agree with what you're saying, I recently quit smoking after 6 years, cold turkey is the only way to go. Quitting smoking is a head game, no amount of pills, gums, tablets or patches will make you quit forever like cold turkey does.

But more importantly, if you don't stop smoking for yourself, you won't do it and you're wasting your money on products. You need to actively decide that for your health and whatever other reasons you are quitting because you WANT to.

Everything tastes and smells better and after a while, you don't lust over the smell of cigarettes, you begin to hate it

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by bftroop
Ecigs will not help you quit.... It's another quick fix. If you want to quit. Stop being a Sissy and put them down.
By the way you stink like Ass and you make the people around you smell like that too. Including your kids.

Ecigs have helped some quite smoking. Vaping an e-cig is better than smoking and they don't stink so I guess I'm not seeing your point.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I've recently gotten to the point of smoking, where though I enjoy it - the addiction is beginning to piss me off. Nothing else in my life has ever given me such a compulsion like nicotine. I can leave a bottle of vodka in the freezer for months without touching it, but I gotta have my new pack every other day.

As I was reading your thread, it was funny - because I noticed I only had one cigarette left.

Cold turkey seems to be the only way out.

A way that I have been weening myself off, is by keeping ice-cold water in the fridge. Cold water shocks the system and gets rid of that stupid feeling of needing some nasty death stick.

One cigaret = a cup of bleach. Associations are everything.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
You contradicted yourself. First you said you are a recovering smoker but then you called out all the current smokers and said that's not you.

Then you go on to smear other people who do other things. Putting them down as though smoking a cigarette is akin to drinking or other things.

It is one in itself.

It's addictive yes. And if you haven't realized a large number of humans enjoy addictive things. And if it's not cigarettes it may be booze and not booze it may be prescription drugs, and if not that the list goes on and on and on...

Smoking isn't all that bad. Been done for thousands of years. You may cut years off your life. Or maybe your closed mentality will lead you to a breakdown much earlier in which you don't recover from.

It's good giving up bad habits. But no reason to trash people that were in your former position. Focus on yourself.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Let's see... my mother smoked crack, then sold her 13 yr old daughter for crack...

I smoke cigarettes and according to op, my kids are "stinky "...

Yep. They are the exact same thing!!!!! Why haven't I noticed this sooner?!?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Everytime i come back from a hards day work there is nothing better than a good relaxing smoke.
edit on 17-7-2012 by BacknTime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by bftroop

So, OP, besides NOT using any stop smoking aids and going cold turkey, what DID you do to overcome the mental part of it? How many times did you try and fail? Do you have any tips FOR going cold turkey?

Thanks.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by bftroop
Ecigs will not help you quit.... It's another quick fix. If you want to quit. Stop being a Sissy and put them down.
By the way you stink like Ass and you make the people around you smell like that too. Including your kids.

What you have just stated is an absolute, without a doubt, total and utter LIE. Electronic Cigarettes DO in FACT help MANY people quit. If you want to educate yourself and not be so horribly ignorant head over to the e-cig forums and read about the multitudes of people that have used them to quit. Why you insist on posting lies masked as wisdom and truth is beyond me, but it makes you look foolish. You are wrong, plain and simple, because E-Cigs have helped many people quit. They are more effective than pills, gum, and patches combined. Please stop spreading lies.

In addition E-Cigs will not make you stink. They will make you smell slightly of whatever flavor of juice you are vaping. Be it strawberry, coffee, banana, apple, bubblegum. Oh god those sound disgusting! (not)

I find the rest of your post..... well basically worthless and offensive. Smoking is an addiction because you are ADDICTED to it. Physical addiction is not in your head. "just stopping" is easier said then done. There are Cocaine users that can use tons of Cocaine for years, and then just decide to stop, and be fine. They are not the majority, they are the small, small minority. The difference is physical, they aren't any tougher, or mentally strong than anyone else.

Just like smokers. There are some people that can just decide to stop one day and never pick up another cigarette. They are the minority, not the majority. And it doesn't make them any tougher or mentally strong, it just makes them lucky in the genetic draw. Your method of encouraging smoking cessation is horribly flawed and completely worthless. It's basically nothing other than a rant mixed with abuse.

edit on 17-7-2012 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Here OP, I got one for you.

I appreciate your zeal but have you ever considered that some folks are just made to consume poisons? Some more than others anyhow. Not in immediately fatal doses, necessarily; just enough.

No, for real, I'm not jokesterizing you, Homes, check it. In Vedic astrology Rahu and Ketu are the head and the tail of the Serpent respectively. Those whose astrological particulars lean towards Rahu, the head, tend more towards poisons and fiddling with and consuming them. They are also usually very fine cooks amongst other glowing qualities. Imagine those who have lots of Rahu.

So, I am taking great liberties with ayurveda and vedic astrolgy, but ah well, that's the gist of it.

People like tobacco and the constituents of just about all the Nightshades, really.

Our ancient ancestors likely crossed in to North America chewing on wads from their stash of black henbane.

Also, we have e-cigs now and there is no need to smoke. The e-cigs are a superior delivery device for nicotine as any experienced Vapeur can tell you.

X.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

I am vaping Mr E's Dew Des Ice. Right now. Lots of it. At 6mg.

Should I switch to the Chai Tea before bed? I dunno.

X.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by bftroop

You are right. I am a recovering nicotine addict myself going on almost a year and I know what you mean about smoking one will turn into smoking all. I am right there with you.

It's funny that the most common excuse not to quit smoking is completely bunk. "It relieves stress" No it doesn't!! It only appears to because a smoker is fiening for their next hit. They are in withdrawal so when they smoke of course it relieves their stress!

I am much happier not smoking but I still get the cravings from time to time it just becomes easier to ignore.

I don't miss being in either a constant sate of withdrawal or overdose always feeling like crap

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xoanon
reply to post by James1982

I am vaping Mr E's Dew Des Ice. Right now. Lots of it. At 6mg.

Should I switch to the Chai Tea before bed? I dunno.

X.

I'm vaping some Top Vapor 24mg Tutti Fruiti as we speak, and will probably throw on my dual coil carto filled with some Top Vapor Grandpa's Mix in a few minutes here. Yeah I smell awful (awfully delicious! A girl I was messing around with a few months back always commented how she could taste the juice I was using when she kissed me. She liked Pineapple the best
)

To the OP, E-Cigs work for people who use them to quit. They start off with a high mg juice, then taper down to zero nicotine. Then they can either keep vaping zero nicotine, which has basically zero health effects whatsoever, or just stop all together. It's a lot easier quitting one thing at a time.

Cigarettes have more chemicals that you are addicted to than just Nicotine. They have anti-depressant like alkaloids in them. If you quit using an e-cig it allows you spread out the discomfort of quitting. First when you switch to vaping with nicotine you get your body used to functioning without the anti-depressant effects of the cigarettes. Then as you taper down your nicotine you reduce your dependance on that. When your at zero nicotine then you can quit the whole oral-fixation of puffing on something. This way it's a gradual step down instead of all of the sudden stopping nicotine, the hand-mouth habit, and the anti-depressant.

Some have suggested that's why some people can quit smoking easier than others. The ones who can easily quit smoking don't rely on cigarettes for their anti-depressant qualities. They just use them for a little nicotine rush. It's easier for them to quit. For people that use cigarettes as an anti-depressant, it's a lot harder. Not only are you addicted to the nicotine, but you also use cigarettes to stabilize your mood. It's similar to coming off of Prozac or other anti-depressants after being on them for years and years, with the addition of a nicotine addiction to kick.

Some people just use E-Cigs as a replacement for cigarettes, and even that's just fine. When you are just getting nicotine, instead of carbon monoxide, tar, radioactive particles, and other horrible things in cigarettes you are going to be in far better health. These days I still smoke cigarettes on occasion, but have almost completely switched over to vaping. I don't spit up black chit anymore, I don't cough, I don't have trouble breathing when doing strenuous things. I am in much better health, and that's with still smoking the occasional cigarette. .

When I first switched to vaping I was smoke free for about 5 months. Felt so incredible. I still feel great, but with the occasional cigarette it's not as good as it could be if I was 100% smoke free.

edit on 17-7-2012 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ucantcme
I don't miss being in either a constant sate of withdrawal or overdose always feeling like crap

Ditto. The difference with today's cigarettes and the ones smoked for thousand of years is in the ingredients. Our ancient ancestors would grow and smoke pure tobacco whereas who knows what the good folks at Phillip Morris are adding.

If you really want to quit you just have to tell yourself that. Instil the thought in your mind like a virus which it becomes, quickly and efficiently overtaking the part of your memory that is detrimental to your well being. Your brain is the most powerful tool you will ever have and with the right commands it is possible of doing incredible feats.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
They sell E cigs at the gas stations around here. Claytons are one of the brands. Seems pretty cheap stuff.

I'd be interested in using them if I didn't have an unreal fear of one blowing up in my face.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by bftroop

I'm fat, old, retired, and mostly broken.
I stuff my own cigarettes and they cost me roughly $1.50 a pack, because of this I do not have to time my smokes, I toss em when I'm done, even if I only had a few puffs.
I enjoy smoking, so why should I quit again?
I hope not to live forever, as I have other things I'd like to see after this life.
Plus, I want to leave behind a burnt out old husk of a body to show the world I did it right!
No recycleables here!!

My geat aunt was forced to quit when she was 84-86 I do not remember.
The thought was she would live longer...
She had chain smoked since the depression...
Why do I need to quit again?

(Edit)
My tobacco I use is additive free as well, since going to these from marlboros I do not have the scratchy raw throat either.
I invite all of you to try these wonderful things!!
(Edit)
I buy at the start of the month as well enough to get me past the end of the month, I could stop buying right now and probably be good for the rest of the year.
I do not run out of smokes and say darn I gotta go to the store late night anymore.
edit on 17-7-2012 by g146541 because: Late at night

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by bftroop

There are none more sanctimonious than an x smoker...

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap
I've recently gotten to the point of smoking, where though I enjoy it - the addiction is beginning to piss me off. Nothing else in my life has ever given me such a compulsion like nicotine.

One thing I am wondering is if it is actually the nicotine causing the addiction, or a combination of things.

I find that if I only drink rainwater and eat good foods (such as fruits), I don't get any cravings at all. I gave up for a few months and all was going well - I really thought I had it beat as I was having no cravings whatsoever. That was until the company I work for sent me to Melbourne for a week and due to not having much time and not knowing the area too well, I ended up buying a pie and a bottle of Coke. The cravings hit hard and I ended up buying a pack of smokes.

BTW, quitting is easy, I've done it heaps of times.

Conquering the cravings for the rest of your life is another story. Next time I quit, I'm gonna give up the crap food as well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join