It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space tourism faces regulatory hurdles

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2004 @ 08:00 AM
link   
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Thrill seekers are plunking down six figures to ride rockets that haven't even been built yet, and a new airline called Virgin Galactic promises to be up and soaring in the next three years. Still, the budding space tourism industry faces a myriad of safety concerns -- in the sky and on the ground -- that must be resolved before any paying passenger takes off.

The rules that will govern the industry in the United States remain under discussion between federal regulators and rocket developers, and legislation is still before Congress.

www.cnn.com... .ap/index.html

Federal Aviation Administration chief Marion C. Blakey this week visited Xcor Aerospace, a rocket developer just down the Mojave Airport flight line from SpaceShipOne's home. She talked of partnership with the new industry and said it was important for the United States to be the world leader.

She made clear, however, that broad safety issues are the agency's topic No. 1.

"Our first concern will be the safety of the uninvolved public, making sure that as this grows and develops that we're doing everything we can to protect the folks on the ground, to make sure that the people who go into space understand the risks," she said. "It will be a risky business for many years to come, no doubt."

I can't believe that I am living in the age where this is actually coming to pass. When i was a kid watching cartoons and movies of space travel, it was very exciting to me. Now to think that every day citizens will have the chance to soar among the stars is awesome. I hope that I get my turn.

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Actually it is quite fantastic that space tourism is on its eve, and really if I were a millionnaire, I would not hesitate... But that is more fantastic even: some people have already paid $100,000 to be on a witing list for the first flight!

About the risks, well, I believe it is comparable to when Bl�riot crossed the Channel, or when Lindbergh crossed the Atlantic... Some people would dare, knowing it was dangerous, but it was a beginning, and every beginning needs its pionneers...

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 04:11 AM
link   
To see commercial space travel on the verge of becoming a reality, I can't wait untill I am in my "older years" and see what humanity will be able to acheive. I was looking forward to seeing computers advance over the years, but space travel? Now that's something that will be exciting to watch as it develops, expands and grows better. In 50years time will we have day trips to the moon? weekends on beautiful martian resorts? sipping martini's watching jupiters moons setting?

posted on Oct, 13 2004 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I agree,its wonderful to think that we will actually witness this in our lifetime,maybe even get the chance to do it our selves but like all new things (especially where aircraft/rockets etc are concerned) there will surely be hic-ups and set backs,hopefully not to serious but guaranteed to be time consuming.
As were about to witness the birth of a new super advanced space aircraft/rocket combo-theres going to be exceptionally strict safety laws imposed by the relevant goverments and if worse case senario there were fatalities early on in maiden flights you can guarantee all space passenger flights would be grounded for a long disaster investigation period.
regards.

new topics

top topics

join