It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your opinion on the Sig 2022

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I bought a new Sig 2022, .40 cal last week and today was my first time at the range with it. Im still pretty much a beginner with firearms and this is my 7th time ever shooting a gun. I did a review awhile ago about my first gun, a Taurus PT 709 slim and I'll have a link to that thread later in the post if anyone wants to see my review of that gun.

Where to start? Well, every range near me was closed today (Bass Pro and Quail Creek), so I decided to head down to the DFW Gun Club shooting range. (North Dallas). It was my first time ever going there. In total, I spent about and hour and a half there and went through 200 rounds, and had 3 targets. I put about 75 rounds into my first target but didnt get a picture of it because, well, I was pretty much all over the place. After a few rounds into my 2nd target, I began getting my accuracy with this gun down. Here's a picture of my second target (75 rounds).

*All my targets were around 22 (ish) feet.

On my 3rd target, I did alot better. I put only 50 rounds into this one. Again 22 ish feet.

I only had one malfunction with the gun, which was around round 120 (ish). After ejecting the empty casing, it tried to also eject the next round coming up. All I did was rack the slide and problem solved. Other than that, the Sig 2022 preformed flawlessly.

The ammo I was using was Federal 165 gr. I'll problably use some different types next time I go the the range.

Here's a picture of my sig with the magazine out.

Here's a small spec list.

Caliber - 40.cal.
12 round magazine. (15 rounds for 9mm, 12 rounds for .357 sig).
Single action and double action. (The single action has an extremely light trigger pull)
Weight is around 30 ounces.

If you want to watch a pretty in-depth review of the Sig 2022, here's my favorite review by "nutnfancy". (28 minutes long)

Compared to my Taurus PT 709 Slim, the recoil on the Sig 2022 is moderately more, a bit snappier. (compact 9mm vs full size .40 cal)

Here's a link to my Taurus review if anyone's interested. You can check out my accuracy with the pictures I took. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just for fun, here's a size comparison between the 2.

Well, that's pretty much my review of my Sig 2022. If I think of anything that I missed, I'll be sure to post it here. Feel free to ask my anything. Feel free to share your experiences here as well.

ETA - Just remembered another thing a second after posting this. My sig came with the sights (not sure of the actual name) where there's 1 white dot on the front sight, and only 1 white dot on the bottom of the back sights. It was a bit different than the 3 dot sight on my Taurus.
edit on 16-7-2012 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

ETA 2 - Also, the price of the sig 2022 was a major factor for me. It was only $449. To my knowledge, it has basically the same quailty as the other, higher priced sigs.
edit on 16-7-2012 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Sigs were high up there when the us army was switching to a new handgun. I believe it was barley beaten by the beretta 92fs

If you take care of it it will outlast you.

Almost wish I had one

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I don't know about the 2022 but I love my PK229 in .40 Cal, its a great shooter, accurate and nearly indestructable. It was my service sidearm in the Navy and through 3 deployments in Iraq and 2 in Afghan I only had 1 incident of it jamming and that was primarily due to a wet incursion followed by humping it through the sand.

The .40 is an awesome round too, lots more energy than a 9mm or 357, it actually is about 30ft lbs less than a .45 (depending on your load) without the weight and size of the .45. Regardless of the model and caliber you'll never go wrong with a Sig, whether its a rifle or handgun. With what I did in the Navy we pretty much had our choice of arms and my choice was almost always Sig arms if it was available.

Congratulations on becoming the owner of a high quality firearm.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by BulletShogun

Sigs were high up there when the us army was switching to a new handgun. I believe it was barley beaten by the beretta 92fs

Ive read alot about sigs before I bought mine, and everything I read was positive. I think some part of the French police ordered around 250,000 of the sig 2022's. I also watched a few videos with the 2022 being submerged underwater, in sand, mud, and frozen, and it still shoots.

reply to post by Nucleardiver

I don't know about the 2022 but I love my PK229 in .40 Cal, its a great shooter, accurate and nearly indestructable.

I may have to look into the PK229 for my next purchase. At the moment, I problably wont be buying anything new soon, but im thinking a rifle will be my next purchase, problably sometime in the fall.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

If you're looking to get a good rifle Sig has some great performing guns to choose from in several caliber. The Sig516 is probably one of the best performing AR platforms out there, the 5.56x45 chamber is a great performing round and pretty economical. This was my always my small caliber gun of choice when I was active duty.

The Sig716 is the AR platform I own now. With its lager 7.62x51 chamber it packs a heck of a punch and is lethal to 1,000 meters in the right hands. This is your basic .308 round though it being a NATO round there is plenty of surplus ammo available. Surplus 7.62 ammo can be purchased dirt cheap, I routinely by 500 round lots for around $150 including shipping online. One warning on using surplus military ball ammo is that it is highly corrosive and will require frequent cleaning to prevent pitting of your barrel. There is also the fact that surplus ammo is steel cased and if you get into reloading the steel case is not a reloadable casing. You can buy bulk Wolf .308 ammo that's brass cased for about $225 per 500 rounds.

The Sig556 Patrol Rifle and DMR are both also great performing 5.56 rifles, as well as the model 551-A1. If you can find a 556ER it would make a great gun but they were discontinued several years ago.

Any of the 229 and 224 pistols are great and will both shoot in nearly any environment including submerged. I was a SWCC Operator in the Navy and we put our weapons through hell and back. I've had M4's and various AR platforms fail under not so harsh environments as well as Glocks and even Berettas.

Sure Sig Sauer is a higher priced firearm but like the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. Just my opinion and obviously I'm a bit biased but you can't go wrong with them.

edit on 16-7-2012 by Nucleardiver because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-7-2012 by Nucleardiver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   

I'll have to look into those rifles. There was an mp5 for $500 at the shooting range I was at today, and that really caught my eye. There were also some Mosin Nagants for $150 also, and I would like to try one of those out.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
There was an mp5 for $500 at the shooting range I was at today, and that really caught my eye.

I doubt it was an mp5 unless its for class 3 users only or rental.

There are .22 versions of the MP5 out in the market for the price range you are talking about. (GSG and HK manufacture some of those models) They come with a fake suppressor in order to meet NFA requirements for having a 16 inch barrel.

In other words, in order for it to be civilian legal it mus have 16 inches worth of barrel. That barrel gets covered by a fake suppressor in order to maintain its aesthetics and keep it from looking awkward and/or unattractive.
edit on 17-7-2012 by GambitVII because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Did you take a class. ? I was thinking of familiarizing myself with firearms. Thought a class would be the way to go.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
The Sig 2022 is an alright gun if you're paying around $300-$350. The newer Sig Sauer's are not known for their quality. They've pretty much fallen way off. Classic Sig's are beautiful, high quality firearms. New Sig's do not last and use cheap MIM parts. Do not recommend Sig's unless they are pre-2005, which then I highly recommend it.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687

I'll have to look into those rifles. There was an mp5 for $500 at the shooting range I was at today, and that really caught my eye. There were also some Mosin Nagants for $150 also, and I would like to try one of those out.

The Mosin Nagant M91/30 in 7.62x54 is a really gregarious dependable gun. With some work it can be a very viable long range shooter as well, I have one that's sportered with a rubberized synthetic stock, 30" barrel with suppressor, bipod and 10-15x50 Leopold scope that I routinely shoot at 1000 meters.

$150 is a little high for a bone stock surplus gun unless its in excellent condition which is pretty rare. You can pick them up online all the time for under $100, I paid $80 for mine a few years ago and with the stock, barrel, bipod, and machining of the receiver and beading of the barrel I have maybe $500 in it.

If you wanted to just get one and go shoot I would at least recommend spending the $70 on a synthetic stock, it really reduces the weight of the gun considerably.
edit on 19-7-2012 by Nucleardiver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Mosins are always fun! Good gun to collect and shoot. They are tough dependable and pretty accurate.

Sigs are great guns. However stay away from their .45's they have clunky trigger action. BUt all other sigs are great. Also the 40 does have alt more power than a 9. Shoot a bowling pin at the range next time with a nine. THen hit it with a .40. Big difference in power delivered to the bowling pin.

For a guy who's only shot 7 ties in his life. you shoot pretty darned good. keep it up.

Also the AR versions of the sig are great. They also (if you're willing to put down 3K) have a pretty sweet rifle in 308, 300 MagWin and .338 Lapua. COmplete with some nice magpull or mcmillian stocks.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Just bought my first Mosin, hasn't even arrived yet. I'm looking forward to getting it on the range. I've already bought a scope and bipod kit for it. I paid $125 for the gun, plus a transfer fee of $25.

I carry a Bersa .380 and/or S&W Bodyguard .380, and I used to carry a Springfield 1911 .45, and that is my all-time favorite handgun gun to shoot. I've got several Saiga AK-47's, and a several shotguns. The Saiga AK's are great guns! Easy to operate, easy to shoot, reliable, fun, powerful, extremely accurate out to about 150 yards which is as far as I've tried to shoot them.

Where in the hell does someone go to practice shooting at 1000 meters? I'd love to do it, but I've never seen a range with that kind of distance.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by GambitVII

The mp5 didnt have a suppresor on it, but I didnt check what caliber or who the manufacturer was. Next time I go to that range I'll make sure to check.

reply to post by WeaselSpencer

No, I havent taken any classes yet. I problably will later in the future.

I talked to a few friends that they also said $150 is a bit expensive for a mosin. Im going to shop around at some of the gun shops around here before I make my next purchase. Plus there's a new shooting range opening up in a city next to me in the fall. From what I have been hearing, it's going to be a pretty good pistol and rifle range, plus they're going to have a pretty good sized store there to.

reply to post by BASSPLYR

Also the AR versions of the sig are great. They also (if you're willing to put down 3K) have a pretty sweet rifle in 308, 300 MagWin and .338 Lapua.

I looked at some of the AR versions for sig on their website, and wow, they are pretty expensive. I doubt I will be getting one of those anytime soon. At the moment, my price range is about $600, maybe $700 and below.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I do not like the Sig parts department. You have about 10 callers waiting on the telephone line ahead of you, which is long distance. I was extremely disapointed with my Sig Hammerli 22 pistol. Sig does not sell them anymore. The plastic magazines only lasted about 900 rounds, and a plastic part on my safety broke, with no chance of getting a replacement part. The gunsmith tried to super glue it together, but it failed shortly thereafter.
I will never buy another Sig.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
From what I've heard, sig's customer service is pretty bad.

Now as far as the subject is concerned, I used to have a SIG 2022 but I sold it. (Don't get me wrong, I like the gun and I kinda want to rebuy it)

It's compact, effective, and accurate. FDA and the French Military use it so there's a bit of credibility if you want to talk about practical military application.

As long as it's shoots and is reliable and effective, I don't see why a person want to justify otherwise. If the sig 2022 is the gun of your choice, I dont think you can go wrong at all. It's served me well and I've never experienced any failures even past 3000 rounds.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I went back to the range again today. This time I used American Eagle 180 gr. rounds. Im still working on accuracy but I think im getting better. I went through 150 rounds total today.

Here's a few of my targets, all at 15 feet.

No jams or anything for me today.

One problem on the range though....A group of 3 people in the lane next to me messed up pretty bad. As I was walking into the store, the group of 3 were at the front desk getting their weapons checked and trigger locks put on, and I was in line behind them. I could hear them talking, and they had 2 brand new pistols, with flash and laser sights. First problem - their slides were not locked back on either of their guns. The clerk gave them a warning and also told them that earlier today some guy came in with a fully loaded magazine and one in the chamber. (That is a very big no-no).

Once I get to the counter at the range, the group of 3 is still infront of me. They didnt get any ear protection so they decided to get some of those 99cent ear plugs. They had trouble getting them into their ears right away. I guess they said screw it and went into the range. Seconds later, they come out and decide it may be best to buy the ear muff looking ear protection.

So about 20 minutes into shooting, I can hear them talking about one of their guns jamming. (They were to the left of my lane). I figured it was just a stovepipe, double feed, ect....About 10 minutes go by and they call in the range master to try and figure out what the jam is. Turns out....one of the guys loaded a round backwards into the magazine....

After I was done shooting, I asked the range master what all happened. Apparently, the guy had the backwards round chambered and actually fired. The back of the casing was blown open, and the bullet was gone. The range master had no idea how that bullet got down and out of the barrel. I would of thought the bullet would actually go towards the user, but I have no idea how it went out the barrel the right way.

....Dont load your rounds backwards!
edit on 20-7-2012 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Looks like good shooting to me!

But as for the backwards round, that is entirely impossible. It can't go into the chamber that way, and if it did, the firing pin would not strike the primer. The range master should know this. What must have happened is a double-feed, with the gun overheated? Or maybe the round was so bad that it barely fired the bullet out of the barrel and didn't retract the slide with any force and the casing got mangled up inside instead of ejecting? I don't know, but I KNOW it didn't go in the magazine, and the chamber, and FIRE all backwards. That would take some kind of voodoo magic.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I didnt see the actual casing myself, im just going off what the range master told me. I have no idea how it could have fired without the primer being struck. Maybe the guy loaded the wrong caliber and the casing bounced around and somehow ended up backwards? Im not sure if that would cause the back of the casing to blow open though. Ive been searching on google for something similar to this and im not finding much but ive found a few stories that are similar but not exact.

On a happier note - Im problably going to be increasing the distance of my targets next time im at the range. Im guessing I'll be going out to 20-25 feet. If I remember to take pictures, I'll post them in here

ETA - I was thinking about the double feed, so I dropped a snap cap into the chamber backwards into my sig 2022, and it sits in there pretty well. (I didnt load it into my magazine backwards, but into the chamber with the slide locked back.) If the guy somehow loaded the round backwards in his magazine and a double feed happened, then maybe somehow the primer on the 2nd round coming up was triggered by something causing the bullet from the 2nd round to go into and through the first backwards round?
edit on 21-7-2012 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-7-2012 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I've got a SP2022 in 9mm that I traded my PX4 .45 for. Very accurate gun, I enjoy the reset on the trigger & I like the way it sits in my hand. I dislike the price of the Magazines and the fact that It bit my pinky three times on reloads. (You know what I'm talking about!) I have to let my pinky "float" on reloads & I also had to re-adjust my grip because my thumb was engaging the slide release and the slide wasn't locking back on the last round. I basically trained through it and now I'm good to go. Anytime my heart rate is up & I transition to it on run n guns and reload I do consciously have to remember not to let my pinky hang so it doesn't get pinched. lol

I do want to purchase a 226 now, Damn you Sig!!!
edit on 21-7-2012 by EyesWideShut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

You will enjoy the mosin. Question did you get one of the original ones that have been in storage with the wood stock. If so have towels at the ready the first time you go out to shoot it. All the sealant they soaked them in before putting into storage will boil out of the wood and burn your hands. You will want to wipe down the wood several times for that first shoot. IF it's used and already broken in then no worries. Also the action on the bolt is pretty stiff. You will want to sand or polish the bolt to make it smoother to operate. But you will really like the mosin. Fun dependable gun.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join