It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depression Chemical Imbalance Doesn’t Exist, Experts Say

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoolerAbdullah786
reply to post by dxdydz

No I am not deducing that they are NOT bipolar, nor did they say they believe they are not. I am merely stating matter-of-factly that they claim to be biploar, meaning they were diagnosed as such. That is their claim. "A doctor diagnosed me as being bipolar." That's it. I don't know if they truly are or aren't. I am not questioning whether they are or aren't. Just seems to me that you can't walk a city block without bumping into 25 people who have been diagnosed as being bipolar. I believe it's overdiagnosed.

Or they are Bi-Polar and the meds work so you don't see the signs. Or they are simply saying they are bi-polar without ever being formally diagnosed. In normal conversation I doubt when they said they are bi-polar you said "did a Dr. diagnose you". If you did, you do not have normal conversations.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

The book cited by the article is more than 3 years old from publication date now.

You do have an odd manner with which you characterize books.

Her book is not your popular, typical book. It's an academic work.

It was published under the imprint of Palgrave Macmillan, you perhaps know that it's the same publisher of the scientific journal Nature.

And yes, despite putting mental health expert between quotes, she is a decades long member of the Psychiatric community, currently with Department of Mental Health Sciences, University College London.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
I have to disagree.

I have a friend that is in a mental institution right now because he quit taking his head meds.

It's the meds that did it to him.

Get a perfectly mentally ok person, put them on these meds for a few months and get them to suddenly stop. Watch what happens.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

It's funny, true, and very sad at the same time.

Crap people say to depressed people.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 18-7-2012 by dxdydz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

I didn't need to say it. On the occasions when the topic came up, it was almost always "Yeah, I've been diagnosed as bipolar." And I've seriously met so many people in my area who make this claim. Unless it is just the area that I live, although I highly doubt that.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by VneZonyDostupa

Moncrieff's stance isn't a strawman fallacy. Your given example, biopsychosocial model isn't the only one in current use, it's a competing model that shares a place with another.

In more generic update, the free PDF of ebook is available within the grey area of internet, file sharing corners.

Formal, citable place for the ebook is

The Myth of the Chemical Cure: A Critique of Psychiatric Drug Treatment. Joanna Moncrieff. Palgrave Macmillan, 2007. Palgrave Connect. Palgrave Macmillan

www.palgraveconnect.com/pc/doifinder/10.1057/9780230589445

The Myth of the Chemical Cure
A Critique of Psychiatric Drug Treatment

Joanna Moncrieff

Print Pub Date:
December 2007

Online date:
December 2008

DOI:
10.1057/9780230589445

ebook ISBN:

Print ISBNs:
9780230574311 HB 9780230574328 PB

296 pp

>> Social & Cultural Studies Collection 2008

This book exposes the traditional view that psychiatric drugs correct chemical imbalances as a dangerous fraud. It traces the emergence of this view and the way it supported the vested interests of the psychiatric profession, the pharmaceutical industry and the modern state. Instead it is proposed that psychiatric drugs 'work' by creating abnormal brain states, which are often unpleasant and impair normal intellectual and emotional functions along with other harmful consequences. Research on antipsychotics, antidepressants and mood stabilisers is examined to demonstrate this thesis and it is suggested that acknowledging the real nature of psychiatric drugs would lead to a more democratic practice of psychiatry.

Author Biography

JOANNA MONCRIEFF is an academic and practising psychiatrist. She is a long-standing critic of psychiatric drug treatment and has published numerous articles in medical journals. She was a founding member and is the co-chair person of the Critical Psychiatry Network.

The task is to locate a library that has subscription to Palgrave Connect ebook platform, from Palgrave Macmillan.

It needs to include the "Social & Cultural Studies Collection 2008" package.

One of her articles has great weight, something not comfortable to discuss and admit.

This is also free, www.psychiatry.freeuk.com/Jodiagnosis.pdf

www.palgrave-journals.com/sth/journal/v8/n4/abs/sth200911a.html

Original Article

Social Theory & Health (2010) 8, 370–382. doi:10.1057/sth.2009.11

Psychiatric diagnosis as a political device

Joanna Moncrieff a

a Department of Mental Health Sciences, University College London, Gower Street, London, W1W 7EJ, UK.

E-mail: [email protected]

Abstract

Diagnosis in psychiatry is portrayed as the same type of activity as diagnosis in other areas of medicine. However, the notion that psychiatric conditions are equivalent to physical diseases has been contested for several decades. In this paper, I use the work of Jeff Coulter and David Ingelby to explore the role of diagnosis in routine psychiatric practice. Coulter examined the process of identification of mental disturbance and suggested that it was quite different from the process of identifying a physical disease, as it was dependent on social norms and circumstances. Ingelby pointed out that it was the apparent medical nature of the process that enabled it to act as a justification for the actions that followed. I describe the stories of two patients, which illustrate the themes Ingelby and Coulter identified. In particular they demonstrate that, in contrast to the idea that diagnosis should determine treatment, diagnoses in psychiatry are applied to justify predetermined social responses, designed to control and contain disturbed behaviour and provide care for dependents. Hence psychiatric diagnosis functions as a political device employed to legitimate activities that might otherwise be contested.

Keywords:
psychiatric diagnosis; philosophy of mental illness; psychiatry as social control; social construction of mental illness

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join