It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depression Chemical Imbalance Doesn’t Exist, Experts Say

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I'm actually unipolar. Have you met a lot of unipolar individuals? Do you think it's over diagnosed?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by dxdydz

No I'm not doing that either. Let me know when you are going to stop inventing strawmen. I am not concluding it is overdiagnosed. I just BELIEVE it is. I could be wrong. I could be right. All I know is when you keep meeting people who it eventually comes out that they were diagnosed as bipolar, it really makes you think: Is this for real? Or are doctors abusing this diagnosis.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolerAbdullah786

I agree you did not conclude you just said you believed which is worse in my opinion. Belief requires no proof just faith.
Why in your mind would a doctor abuse a diagnosis. In my experience they are reluctant to diagnose mental illnesses. Reluctant to put people on medications because they may be incorrect. At least my doctor. Doctors aren't out to mess people up.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
In the day of Carl Jung Big Pharma companies did not exist and there wasn't great profit to be made off illness.

If Dr Jung could see us now his diagnosis would be the same (NEUROSIS)
According to Dr. George Boeree, effects of neurosis can involve:

...anxiety, sadness or depression, anger, irritability, mental confusion, low sense of self-worth, etc., behavioral symptoms such as phobic avoidance, vigilance, impulsive and compulsive acts, lethargy, etc., cognitive problems such as unpleasant or disturbing thoughts, repetition of thoughts and obsession, habitual fantasizing, negativity and cynicism, etc. Interpersonally, neurosis involves dependency, aggressiveness, perfectionism, schizoid isolation, socio-culturally inappropriate behaviors, etc

EXCEPT in todays time, Dr Jung would say...If you aren't exhibiting the following symptoms above in this insane preposterous day and age of the 21st century you call civilization then we must begin intensive impatient therapy immediately and possible interventional medicinal therapies as well. Possible time of recovery back to a whole person- 10 years.

What if i was to tell you that mentally ill people are having a correct response thus are perfectly sane and those that seem of sound mind, happy, successful, carefree, and useful are indeed mentally ill.

Denial is a terrible thing and its not a river in Egypt.
edit on 17-7-2012 by superluminal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dxdydz

I already answered that question. I think they do it because of big pharmaceutical companies prescribing drugs for these things. Sorry if it offends you that doctors may fudge these things. But how you feel about it doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. Maybe it doesn't. Maybe it does. I believe it does.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by superluminal11

Love it.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Me thinks doctors are more afraid of lawyers than big pharm.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I didn't read the article but her theory from what you say is interesting & actually refreshing compared to those that push the medications.
People that practice more natural medicines (chiropractors, naturopaths, & some D.O.'s,etc.) realize there are many reasons a person can have symptoms of depression, etc that may be cured by natural means, eating healthy, exercise, learning to think differently.
I believe that medications are wonderful for those that are wanting to take them (by choice) & perhaps temporary or a lifetime.. But I think those that want to find alternative methods of healing also should be given opportunity & encouraged to do so. It sounds like she is more into natural forms of healing or belief system.

I used to take medication to sleep & was on medication for my thyroid. I haven't needed medicine to sleep in a number of years now & I am not longer taking thyroid medication. In both cases I was able to heal because it is what I wanted to do & made the effort to get there. It wasn't easy & thank goodness that God Allowed me to have the opportunity to heal from this but I am doing well overall & in my physical/mental health, it's like climbing this ladder.. & to Heaven, a healing that is natural & of the earth.

I don't think either way (medication or alternative means of healing) is like a right or wrong. Where I do have an opinion is people not being able to choose. I think she just likely has an opinion & that's ok.

edit on 17-7-2012 by J7IST1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dxdydz

I didn't say they were afraid of big pharm

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Truth. But why would they fudge things for big pharm?

your words:
I think they do it because of big pharmaceutical companies prescribing drugs for these things. Sorry if it offends you that doctors may fudge these things.
edit on 17-7-2012 by dxdydz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by dxdydz
reply to post by DaphneApollo

I agree and I've been there as well.
It's hard to describe feeling that come from seemingly nowhere to alter your mood but that is what happens.
It's not a matter of being "depressed" there is something subconscious and deeper.

edit on 16-7-2012 by dxdydz because: (no reason given)

I know what you're talking about here. You can feel it coming on and coursing through your blood. I know I can. Drs. cannot know what will work for you, they have to try different ones to see which one works for you, but, the first one I was on made me seriously suicidle, (some of the medication itself tells you it increases these behaviors) nice side effect huh. Gotta try but you may still die trying to fix it.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dxdydz

For money. They obviously get kickbacks from Big Pharma to write more prescriptions for things.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

and this is where the truth shows itself and the thread ends. Thank you. Doctors are excepting kickbacks to put people on psychotropic medications. Yeah your fine.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by dxdydz

Yeah. I am fine. Disagree with me all you want. Doesn't mean you have to insult me. That just goes to show your level of maturity. Can't discuss something with descending to insults. So you are right, the conversation with you is over.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

What was my insult exactly. Was it I said your fine.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dxdydz

Yeah. Play innocent. You said it condescendingly (and misspelled). You ridiculed my position and then added "Yeah your [sic] fine." which implies that you are mocking my mental state.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

yeah i meant accepting though the spelling error was totally my fault and not pointed.

I wouldn't mock your spelling. Some people are brilliant but can't spell.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

There is a lot of truth to that article but it too can be severely flawed. The only way to check the chemistry is to yank out a bunch of chemicals in the brain at the exact time. Just because there is no hard evidence it doesn't mean that it isn't happening. These energy conducting chemicals with their varying compositions and reasons for being messed up is enough to turn researchers nuts. So many variables make this research extremely difficult. I wouldn't take antidepressants, all they are is dope to suppress your mind and endocrine system. Reminds me of angel dust drug pushers of the seventies. Some of these doctors and drug creaters must think everyone wants to be high so give us legal highs at half the cost of black market. I don't want to be high anymore, those days of buzzing are long gone and I didn't like hard stuff anyway.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

I work at a psychiatric hospital, I am there right now. Every patient who walks in and leaves in much better shape is a testament that medication works. We have patients who go off their meds and come back in very, very rough shape. With that said I think medication only treatments do a disservice to the patient. This does not mean medication is not needed.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by aaaiii

Bull****, huh?

Tell that to my brain. I've been seriously depressed since I was a kid. Done a couple of really stupid things because of it.

The drugs may be placebos, but the disease isn't.

Have you tried ECT? It can be a miracle for depression.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join