It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quit Smoking Cigarettes,, Vape yourself

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZIPMATT
where is there research into inonisation/vaporisation and relative or non-relative costs and benefits in health terms

The researchers told the BMJ: "The scarce evidence indicates the existence of various toxic and carcinogenic compounds in e-cigarettes, albeit in possibly much smaller concentrations than in traditional cigarettes."

The FDA also detected traces of powerful cancer-causing chemicals.

note difference ; chemicals vs compounds

report/bmj

This is the report I referred to in my earlier post, thank you for sharing. Ecigs are not without their risks and no one can really say the affect that long term use can have. The biggest risk is the lack of quality control and regulation. It was a shoddy manufacturer of the fluid and they cut corners, that's why they found cancer causing chemicals in the study. It's not in ALL ecig fluid, just the crappy ones. just like finding lead paint on your kid's toy, does that mean we should outlaw all kids toys?

I'll still take my chances with ecigs over tobacco.

The main ingredients, propolyene glycol, glycerin and flavoring are things people use every day and are proven safe. Nicotine by itself is an addictive stimulant, but so is caffeine. Isolated from the other toxins in tobacco, nicotine by itself is not particularly harmful in small doses. It's worst effect is its addictive quality.

To your other point about the accessibility to children;

My concern , is children , their issues . A matter is for us to determine whether these products are not be either recommended , or , disallowed . The question , would one of these e-cigs be picked up or passed on and used by non-smokers , primarily children ? The answer is yes to that .
Therefore I wouldnt recommend recommending them , except to smokers wishing give up tobaccco , as they clearly do gain sucess or temporary sucess regarding this 'health-device' status/function .

They should not be recommended or disallowed. They should be available for those who are old enough who choose to partake.

I know of no reputable vendor that would sell to minors or suggest that it's for anyone other than someone who is already a smoker. That was the same argument that the tobacco lobbyists used with congress when trying to get it banned- "Think of the children".
Yes, I agree with you that it shouldn't be recommended to those who do not already smoke.

I wouldn't want my son picking up an ecig at a party, nor would I want him picking up a beer while he's underage. There's many adult oriented products that are restricted to children, ecigs should be one of them. I don't want ecigs banned and I surely don't want beer banned, so please don't use the "child" argument on a product clearly designed for adults.

The solution has naturally evolved. The main supplier of ecigs locally are smoke shops. Anyone under 18 isn't even allowed in to a smoke shop in my area. Accessibility to children is already limited.

It is not a "health device" and should not be classified in the same category as patches and nicotine gum. It is a pleasurable leisure activity of its own and it should be accessible as such. To classify it as a "health device" might only limit its availability to prescription only, which would reduce use and only benefit the tobacco companies.

The main danger remains nicotine , while it is normal ands someways necessary to ingest the variety of chemical formulations commonly found in smoke for combustion of organics.
E-cigarettes are possibly more addictive and nicotine-habit forming than the original methods of ingestion. With children there is a danger of proliferation of nicotine/smoking related habits , occuring potentially unguided by state or families

It is easier to consume a greater amount of nicotine with an ecig vs tobacco. That is something controlled by the responsible use of the user.
As I have said, nicotine has shown to have no more negative health effects than many other stimulants (such as hypertension and the like) so the greatest danger is not nicotine, it is tobacco.

My kids know better than to use my ecig, I didn't need the state to handle that for me.

edit on 17-7-2012 by AlienMenace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TraitorKiller

Ha! You forgot breathing..........don't breath!

Seriously guys, Don't let it get one over on you.

I hate all the new age advice I got about "Go on, you can do it" and "You're stronger than that" etc etc. I'm telling you now, I'm no hippy but their advice is true.................YOU ARE STRONGER. Giving up smoking actually helped with lots of other things too............. definitely more headstrong.

"Go on, you can do it" AND "You are stronger than that" !!!!!!!!!! Seriously, You let your life be controlled by a burning stick in your mouth? When you look at it from an outside point of view or a non-smoker (now) it looks so silly! I can't help thinking now the feeling has gone "Why is that person inhaling burning smoke?"

Does it make sense to you?

Good luck chaps

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I remember since everyone said smoking cigarettes was bad I tried smoking another substance

The Truth Is Within You!

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

somebody told me ""

""E cigarettes, are the Gateway drug, to E Harmony """

LOL

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

I used to go through the motions of smoking by taking long and leisurely drags on a straw cut to about the size of a cigarette that I kept in my top pocket.
It is free and gives you a good healthy dose of oxygen.

The only drawback to this method is if you bend over and the straw falls out of your pocket people's first impression is that you are snorting coke. I used to have to clarify "I am trying to quit smoking" to the curious and scathing glances.

If you are 'feeling the burn' it means you have damaged your throat already and it can't handle the smoke. When you first start cigarettes (or resume smoking after quitting awhile) it does not burn the back of your throat until after a couple of months hitting them hard.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

Thanks, Darrman, for providing this info. I will pass it on.

Many years ago, I'd chain-smoke my way thru 2 & a half packs a day. I quit by going cold turkey and chewing Nicorette gum. I swear it helped. The first month was the worst, then I stopped needing the Nicorette gum. It took over six months before the "lust" for a cigie subsided.

I never went back to cigarettes because I KNEW that if I did, I'd be re-addicted immediately. And quitting is an ordeal.

On occasion, if I felt I was in danger of relapse, I'd get herbal cigarettes (made in England) from a health food store.

Edgar Cayce said that if you were to limit yourself to nine cigarettes a day (or less), the body could handle that. He was referring to NATURAL tobacco, not the chemically "enhanced" cr*p they sell today.

So if you can find all natural tobacco cigarettes -- "American Spirit" (?) or "Native" (?) or roll your own -- maybe and can limit yourself, it might be okay. Most cannot limit themselves. Quitting is best.

I have friends I care about who smoke, but have never been able to quit for long.

This "vaping" might help them.
edit on 17-7-2012 by AuranVector because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

I have to agree with you, Alan's book is fantastic and it worked for me as well. I smoked from the age of 18 all the way to 34. I have been smoke free for over 6 months and have never felt better.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by poundcake

Fantastic mate! Great news! I'm so glad it worked for you. I remember thinking "what a load of tosh!" The book says and I quote "by the end of this book you will have given up cigarettes". I looked at the book and it seemed a little on the thin side and I thought to myself there is no way it's gonna work, even smiled to myself whilst reading it!

But sure enough, by the end of the book..............Bam!

The smoking had stopped.

Haven't had one since................

Great success!

edit on 17-7-2012 by CaptainBeno because: Mad spelling again...........it's been a long day.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj
reply to post by darrman

I tried. The hit off an e-cig is harsher than a regular smoke. And, I can't enough nicotine out of it. Even if I had a 24 mg. of nicotine, once you exhale you lose half of it, and 12 mg.s is just not enough for me.

E-cigs are probably great for light smokers.

edit on 7/17/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

It's the particular flavor that you tried not necessarily the mg strength. Some flavors are very smooth and have virtually no throat hit.
Nicotine absorbs into your system on contact instantly (this is why you should be careful handling e-liquids). Most of the nicotine does not even reach your lungs do to this fact, so in fact all your exhale is nothing but water vapor.
I would suggest not giving up, try another brand or better battery and keep in mind you are getting all that nicotine- it could give you head ache at those high mg's.
edit on 17-7-2012 by flyingfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Been vaping for 2 years, and while there is a learning curve I stuck with it and never looked back.

I was a hardcore cigarette smoker, 30 newports a day for 15 years. So when people try ecigs and say they are not getting the real feeling of cigs, they aren't doing it right.

You need a high voltage ecig and you need 24mg or 36mg nicotine juice, either regular tobacco or menthol; forget all those fruity flavors unless you like candy.

You also need proper filler for your cartridges, I use pyramid tea bags. They last forever, soak up a decent amount of juice, and produce a nice throat hit.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

The book was actually recommended to me by a friend that also found success with it. I felt the same way, "How is a book going to help with withdrawal?". I had already tried patches, gum, and even Chantex with no success. I figured I had nothing to lose. It really changed my whole way of thinking about smoking and "needing" nicotine. I would recommend it to anyone trying to quit. It was actually at the public library, so it cost me nothing!

Congratulations to you.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SprocketUK
I was down the pub the other night, drinking and vaping while the other smokers had to go out.

Though I did find myself going with them now and again, just cos the non smokers are a bit dull.

I've noticed that. Non-smokers really are quite boring. Whether it's in work or at the pub all the fun activity and good conversation seems to follow the smokers, which is a bit of a pain when quitting

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
ha great i just did the same thread but diffrent e-cig lol

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by birdyat101
ha great i just did the same thread but diffrent e-cig lol

KOOL

but i did not really want to Specify Any Brand ,, just wanted to spotlight Different types..and options..

How did i do?

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by darrman

Hey darrman, I do realize you are busy but please go back and answer the message I sent you about a month ago. It was in reference to your thread on backflow assembly testing. Just needed some answers. Sorry for hijacking this thread.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jaellma
reply to post by darrman

Hey darrman, I do realize you are busy but please go back and answer the message I sent you about a month ago. It was in reference to your thread on backflow assembly testing. Just needed some answers. Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Jaellme,, i thought i Sent you a reply!!

i remember your name!!

if you did not get it,, re try... i'll check back today!!

for those who still have Flags left for another Fantastic Thread,, and to see what Jaellma is talking about...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

How i earn $200.00 bucks or so an hour,, and make my own hours..

Jaelman -- here was your Reply sent a while ago. if you dont check U2U's

Hello,

I am interested in your job/business as a Backflow Assembly Tester. I added a post on that thread in ATS. Please respond when you get a chance.

Thanks

Kool, a plumber in the Family Helps!

as for your wife, having Back Troubles..

I was hit by a car, and Broke my back in Two places, and Spent 6 months teaching myself how to walk again..

If I can do this,,She Can Do this..

Say 5 - 20 hrs week. ++ could equal enough.. could you live on $40 bucks a day? or would you need 200 a day? my friend i got into this Field,,LAST-YEAR,, regularly earns 800-1000 dollars a day.. HE advertises with a large budget on Google.. but it pays for him.. he pays about 1500 a month for Internet ads,, and pays for it out of only a few days worth of work a month..

THIS is the one field, where YOU earn as much as you care to work,, or as much as you ABLE to do..

sorry if it took a few days to get back to you..lol

THIS is my busy season..

Darrman

edit on 7/18/12 by darrman because: add a thingy

edit on 7/18/12 by darrman because: >:....>>>>>>>> t.... @#$%^#$^#&$*(%)*)

edit on 7/18/12 by darrman because: yeahh I

edit on 7/18/12 by darrman because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/18/12 by darrman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
Chaps, First of all I am a reformed smoker. I'm not going to bleat to you guy's about what to do and what not to do, but may I suggest a book (Yes a book).

Allen Carr's - Easy way to stop smoking.

Now, I know what you are thinking "yeah right, sure". BUT THIS REALLY WORKS.

I smoked from the age of 15 up until I was 35, I liked smoking, smoking was an enjoyable thing for me. Yes you could say I was addicted (don't believe that now) but I really enjoyed a smoke.

I tried everything to give up and nearly every aid. I wanted to stop.

A friend of mine handed me this book, by the end of this book I had stopped smoking.

No BS, I really did and haven't smoked for 3 years since. I just told myself "I don't smoke" not, "I have given up smoking" I just kept saying to myself every time I wanted a smoke or got the twinge that "huh! I don't smoke, why would I want a cigarette".

It really works and it's way cheaper than all the other crap you are going to buy..........so if you are serious about giving up............give it a go.............best thing ever.

I don't stink
I'm way healthier
Way more energy
I feel bloody fantastic!

I also feel completely stupid for all the years I spent smoking.

I read the book and thought it was great, but it didn't keep me from smoking for a longer time. A friend of mine, though, who was a smoker for 15 years, quit with that book and never started again.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
i got an e-cig and it dont do crap for me. i still smoke real cigs and only use the e-cig when its raining or i just dont feel like going out to smoke.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
So my wife and I recently found out that she was pregnant and I told her when we find out she is pregnant I'll quit. Well lucky for us we tried one time and now she is pregnant
So it has been very hard for me to quit because I thought I was going to have a few months of winding down. Moving On.. I have always been around cigs ( my dad stopped cold turkey after 22 years and my mom started the very next day)the first time I took a puff I was probably 8-9 (no inhale) started smoking everyday when I was 18. The hardest for me will be that inhale feeling of a good drag and oral fixation. I have just not put my foot down and say I'm done. That is going to be my first step. Congrats! to all the people who have stopped.

To the person on the first or second page who said were all just sissies should shut it. And move on to another topic.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
These things do work, but they definitely are different then a cig and you need the right e-cig and be mentally willing to quit smoking.

I wish I could post the ecig I have now that works best but I feel its against the rules here.

I suggest getting an ecig with a tank system, messing with the cartridges and foam/cottony filters is just such a PITA I didnt want to deal with it anymore. Also I dont recommend getting the small ecigs either, they seem inconsistent and dont have a very high voltage, so not as good of a hit or vapor, and lots of recharging/refilling.

The ecig I have now came with a 650 mah and 1000 mah battery, ( I use the 1000, will last up to 4 days), and a tank that can hold 2ml of juice. It produces a lot of vapor consistently all day every day, and I can seriously chief on the thing all day and not have to refil it or charge it, I just top the tank off with juice at night and put the battery on the charger, no fuss about it. The only downfall with this one is its about as big as a cigarillo so you get asked about it more and its harder to hide, but it works 500% better then the cigarette sized ecigs so its worth it.

I quit smoking pretty easily for over a month using these, after about 3 days you quit thinking about cigs all together. In my case though if I get drunk I still get serious cravings for cigarettes (24mg juice can combat this), and ended up relapsing during a drunk weeks vacation, but Ive been back to vaping only for almost 3 weeks now. After 2 weeks you really notice how your lungs are healing, and you get more sense of smell back, like how nasty it smells when someone else is smoking.

You also notice all that extra cash in your pocket, $20 of juice lasts me a month, for cigs that would last me 3 days.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join