It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quit Smoking Cigarettes,, Vape yourself

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tjack

It isn't really about quitting nicotine use. Its about safer nicotine ingestion.

The root of the problem isn't really a problem and may even be helpful to stave off Alzheimer's.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I am originally from the UK and I used to smoke roll ups, and I enjoyed it, never really tried to quit... Then... I married an American and moved out to California, and I found the pre-made cigarettes too harsh, and nice tobacco was really hard to find. I stopped enjoying smoking, and I my husband and I wanted to try for a child, so I decided to try ecigarettes. I started vaping on 1st sept 2011 and have not had a real cigarette since. I started on 24mg, and within a few months I was down to 4mg, which is what I still vape.

I find that I can go all day without vaping if needs be, and I'm sure that when I get pregnant it will be a lot easier to stop altogether compared to "real" cigarettes.

The only downside is that because I can vape indoors, if I'm sat around not doing much I find myself reaching for my ecigarette rather a lot. That, and occasional acne, but I think that's a symptom of quitting smoking rather than starting vaping.

So... in conclusion, I don't think I'd ever have given up smoking if it wasn't for e-cigarettes, and I enjoy being able to taste and smell again. Being able to quit smoking so easily was such a blessing, I didn't struggle at all, and haven't craved a cigarette for a long time.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
Chaps, First of all I am a reformed smoker. I'm not going to bleat to you guy's about what to do and what not to do, but may I suggest a book (Yes a book).

Allen Carr's - Easy way to stop smoking.

Now, I know what you are thinking "yeah right, sure". BUT THIS REALLY WORKS.

I smoked from the age of 15 up until I was 35, I liked smoking, smoking was an enjoyable thing for me. Yes you could say I was addicted (don't believe that now) but I really enjoyed a smoke.

I tried everything to give up and nearly every aid. I wanted to stop.

A friend of mine handed me this book, by the end of this book I had stopped smoking.

No BS, I really did and haven't smoked for 3 years since. I just told myself "I don't smoke" not, "I have given up smoking" I just kept saying to myself every time I wanted a smoke or got the twinge that "huh! I don't smoke, why would I want a cigarette".

It really works and it's way cheaper than all the other crap you are going to buy..........so if you are serious about giving up............give it a go.............best thing ever.

I don't stink
I'm way healthier
Way more energy
I feel bloody fantastic!

I also feel completely stupid for all the years I spent smoking.

This is similar to what I'm going through. The only differences are I only smoked 10 years, and I didn't read any books, but I'm telling myself the exact same thing. I'm only a month in, but honestly at this point the idea of making myself feel a little dizzy and sick doesn't sound appealing at all. I'm not saying kicking addiction is easy, but if you really truly want it then it comes you you easier. There's a difference knowing you need to quit and wanting to quit...Trust me I had many failed attempts that fell way short of this effort. Mentality is 85% (possibly more) of it. This time it's not just my brain telling me to quit, It's my heart too.
My best advice...Keep your hands busy. It helps distract your mind. I miss the hand/oral fixation way more than the nicotine. I even got to learn a new talent. I took up illusion knitting (way more awesome than regular knitting. weird but true)
I know people hate to hear this, but if a weaker person like myself can find the inner strength , anyone can...if they REALLY want to.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
My few points.
1) Variable voltage devices are best. You can try tons of different tanks/cartomizers to find what you like.
2) Tanks are nice. I however had trouble with them not taking in the liquid well enough. Trying to fix that lead to too much liquid.
3) Read and learn from other users. There's tons of devices and even more liquid options. Noone finds the good stuff straight away. The trouble is well worth considering that you are stopping smoking.
4) Let people know what you are doing. Dont hide you vaping. Educate the public.
5) Devices that imitate real cigs in look suck

Soon a year without a single cig and never even wanted one. I had smoked 24 years and last years chain smoking.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Ecigs are not legal in Canada but they're not really outlawed either. I guess our version of Don't Ask, Dont Tell.

northernvapor.com...

There are other sites in Canada as well but this is the one I use.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

edit on 17-7-2012 by Gamma MO because: duplicate post

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

I am old enough to know the joy of sitting at my desk, in a crowded office, with an over-filled Ashtray ..

the laws changed,, and the productivity Dropped as All the staff had to go OUTSIDE , even in winter, just to have a puff or two..

sitting at my desk-- right now.. (although i now own a small company- and work alone) and i Vape.. with NO smell in my home,, on my clothes ,,or in my car!!

i love it!!!

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I was down the pub the other night, drinking and vaping while the other smokers had to go out.

Though I did find myself going with them now and again, just cos the non smokers are a bit dull.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SprocketUK
I was down the pub the other night, drinking and vaping while the other smokers had to go out.

Though I did find myself going with them now and again, just cos the non smokers are a bit dull.

lol i know what you mean.. hahahha

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Just give up, really, nothing bad happens, nothing at all? Just keep telling yourself you don't smoke, after 3 days it's easy...........just keep away from associated things like coffee, beer and after eating go for a walk.

Don't have sex either and take long cold showers. Matter of fact, avoid all human contact and don't watch tv.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
you made me crave a cigarette....

Thanks for posting this Im going to look in depth and see about whether this could replace the habit, like you mentioned I have to have me some thoat burn or I dont enjoy smoking. Im getting a little tired of feeling out of breath since I started a couple months back (after 2 or 3 years not smoking)....So it looks like Ill just quit again and maybe get a cigar to smoke while I drive.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by TraitorKiller
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Just give up, really, nothing bad happens, nothing at all? Just keep telling yourself you don't smoke, after 3 days it's easy...........just keep away from associated things like coffee, beer and after eating go for a walk.

Don't have sex either and take long cold showers. Matter of fact, avoid all human contact and don't watch tv.

lol my thoughts exactly....

For me the hardest thing to do when I quit is drive, I commute in and out of Toronto on the worlds most congested stretch of highway (the 401) almost daily, my car has only one window working, and it overheats in traffic forcing me to turn my heater on...... imagining myself without a cigarette in that situation is an ugly picture.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Excellent thread, cheers. I've been considering this for a while and which one to buy because money is tight. Smoking is very hard to give up. Class A drugs are easy to give up by comparison. A lot easier. Good on you too for finding an easier way to give up. Live changing advice to any habitual smoker.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

I tried. The hit off an e-cig is harsher than a regular smoke. And, I can't enough nicotine out of it. Even if I had a 24 mg. of nicotine, once you exhale you lose half of it, and 12 mg.s is just not enough for me.

E-cigs are probably great for light smokers.

edit on 7/17/2012 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

Thats not quitting, thats trading one habit for another. I quit.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I quit smoking in 2000. I smoked a pack a day since 1981. I addressed the reasons I started smoking in the first place and resolved those issues. I haven't even considered smoking since 2000. If you don't address the root issues that made smoking a balance for your psyche, you'll only pick up a different habit or continue to struggle with not smoking. Get over your #. Move on. Seriously.

I'd tell you what I did, but so many tell me that I'm full of # and delusional, so you can hack your own path, sweetie. Good Luck. Get her done!
edit on 17/7/12 by RainbeauBleu because: # off

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Good thread and it very kind of you to help out your peers on ATS.

Now if only you could come up with something to help out the guys that dip skoal.

I would love to quit while still have a tooth left

Last part was a joke i put my teeth in a jar

edit on 17-7-2012 by grayghost because: Add lol

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I started using a Ecig many months back. my first one was a disposable one bought at the tobacco store. Before this, I was rolling my own using pipe tobbacco.

The disposable one wasn't too bad and a friend recommened trying LeCig and gave me the web addy to order.

The Ecig itself from there wasn't too bad, and the cartridge ammount he recommended worked for me. Still felt funny though puffing on it, and then I realized something:

Didn't know when to stop puffing!

I was so used to you're done when the cig has burned down to the filter, but of course Ecigs don't do that. It took me a while to figure out when I'd had enough (and stop going through cartridges so fast).

I went to the mall and found another Ecig, Nicotek (which has different threads so you can't trade up the cartridges), but I didn't like it as much.

However my wife started to notice a big difference in the way I smell, and the smell of the den (the one place in the house I smoke, my Man Cave). I also noticed my sense of smell and taste came back too.

I hope to eventually get down to the 0 amount.

One of the reasons I switched to the Ecigs: I watched my father die of stomach cancer. When he was diagnosed, after the surgeon went in and removed 2/3 of his stomach, I wondered out loud if all the beer he'd drank over the course of his life had caused this, even though for the last few years he'd stopped drinking completely.

The surgeon looked right at me and said: "The beer? Oh no, it wasn't that. We could tell he drank a lot from his liver, but he's been on the mend from that for the last 5 years. No, what caused this was his smoking."
I guess I had a puzzled look on my face, as the surgeon added: "You don't think that smoke just goes into your lungs when you inhale now, did you? Smoking increases your chances of stomach cancer by over 80%."

Ten months later I watched my father lay on his bed, in a lot of pain, throwing up every few minutes, most of it congealed blood. Even with the morphine it caused him a lot of pain.

It took him a week to die.

It was right after that that I bought that first Ecig. After watchng that, I realized that I didn't want to go that way, but found myself unable to put them real smokes down still (even after watching that).

So I'd recommend to anyone quit period. But if nothing seems to work, the Ecig, for me at least, has been a good substitute.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Just wanted to chime in, my first day vaping, I quit real cigeettes, its been a year and a half

it just like eating vegetarian meat substitute after meat, dont expect the same thing look at it for its own taste.

I can breather, run far , smell 100 percent better, taste more flavor and of all reducing my health risk.

I did go through a phase for a month where I was so sleepy i could barely leave home , but it seems that may have been product brand related. try to stay away from the chinese stuff, all usa produced is a better bet for vaping

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I really wanted my big first post here to be about the conspiracy to ban ecigs but I didn't think it'd generate a lot of interest at the time. About a year ago there was a major effort to ban them but in the USA they have since eased up. One aspect of the conspiracy was an FDA study that said that there were carcinogens found in the ecig fluid they tested. This test was flaunted everywhere to demonstrate that ecigs were bad for you. It was from a product manufacturers use to CUT propolyne glycol to reduce costs. The same chemical was found in cheap imported toothpaste a long time ago and caused a recall. This one poor quality batch they tested doesn't make ecigs bad for you, but you couldn't tell that from the media coverage at the time.

I've been vaping for about two years now and I would never go back to cigarettes. I feel good about introducing about a dozen people to ecigs and almost all of them have quit smoking completely. One person I know even switched from chewing tobacco to vaping and it's working for him.

The interesting part is that everyone has taken to it a little differently but most people acquire a taste for ecigs over cigarettes. If you vape for a couple of weeks and then try to smoke, it tastes awful in comparison.

If you're going to try it, do your research! Get good quality fluid or even mix your own, it's not difficult. There's so many options out there, figure out what you like because they are not all the same.

If you do vape, advocate! Lawmakers who do not understand it want to regulate it like tobacco. Some regulation may be in order eventually, but it should not be treated like cigarettes. The best way to fix this and related issues is to educate others.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join