It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My assessment of the problem with the American political system

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The problem with the American political system, not just the two-party system, but the entire system as a whole, is how people are willing to vote for some one "Just because they aren't [insert politicians name here]."

On the Right you have the "Anyone but Obama" crowd that is willing to hold their nose and vote for Mitt Romney because "He's not Obama" (although he's not really that different). On the Left you have the "I'm voting for Obama because he's better than Romney when it comes to progress" crowd (although he's not really that different).

Then you have the Ron Paul supporters, from both the Left and the Right, who are just as guilty of rallying behind him because "He's not part of that two-party system and he believes in freedom" (which usually tranlates to "He's pro-weed and/or anti-war") which is absolute b.s. also. They will even ignore (or attempt to justify away) views that he holds that they would normally disagree with if they weren't so disillusioned with the Dems and Pubs.

Ron Paul is still a for-the-most-part typical Republican that's why he still has that R after his name. At least Joe Lieberman, and trust me I hate saying anything good about him, had the courage of his convictions to leave the Democrat party and declare himself an Independent.

The majority of the American voting population is so steeped in apathy and that is why they are allowing this to happen. They don't have the foresight to commit to a long-term plan for REAL change, even if it's one politician at a time. What else can we expect from a population addicted to FAST food, HIGH-SPEED internet, and INSTANT messaging? Their attention span and patience is almost entirely nil.
edit on 16-7-2012 by CoolerAbdullah786 because: Slightly altered the subject heading

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CoolerAbdullah786

It is like that, and I wish it wasn't. American politics is a team sport. As long as someone's wearing the right color jersey they get votes. The voters are watching a game, but most don't realize that they are the ones being played.

I like your observations, though I think that the "I" after Lieberman's name doesn't stand for "Independent"- it stands for "Israel."

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
You are wrong. The problem is a lazy and uninformed electorate. IMO, universal suffrage is a proven failure. IMO, only tax PAYERS should vote. If you are on any form of public assistance, you should not be able to vote while on the dole. There should also be an intelligence/political awareness test before being allowed to vote. You must be able to articulate the meaning of the various amendments to the Constitution for example. Graft and corruption would have much less of a sway if the electorate were less "entitled" and more aware of what is going on.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
TV ads decides many elections, and usually potus

congress is owned by corporate america

and john adams said it well

check sig ;

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Congratulations, you are promoting fascism.
Only tax payers should vote? You sound like the people last year who were saying that only land owners should be able to vote.

So if you are unemployed you cannot vote, even if you had been employed for say 30 years and just recently lost your job? That's absolutely absurd.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I believe the problem isn't with the system so much as it is a problem with the people.

Yes, we have lying corrupt people in office......

Who put them there?

Who let's them get away with the asinine decisions they make?

Who does not stand up to them when they pass legislation against most Americans wishes?

Let's say you own a restaurant and you never visit the place, you hire crappy managers and knowingly let them mismanage the place & You knowingly allow employee's to treat customers badly.

Who's fault is it that the place goes out of business.

Yours!

It's time we take an interest in our business again and run it properly or just sell it to another country and be done with it.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mwood

Yes, but mwood, the people are part of the system. Furthermore, we cannot just blame the voters. While they do bear their share of the burden, the politicians are also exploiting, brainwashing, and misleading them.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by CoolerAbdullah786

Then you have the Ron Paul supporters, from both the Left and the Right, who are just as guilty of rallying behind him because "He's not part of that two-party system and he believes in freedom" (which usually tranlates to "He's pro-weed and/or anti-war") which is absolute b.s. also. They will even ignore (or attempt to justify away) views that he holds that they would normally disagree with if they weren't so disillusioned with the Dems and Pubs.

Well you can't really change our society to be what you want can you now. However, that's just American politics. Most people live happily day by day doing great things in their little communities as much as they can or supply jobs to the American people, or volunteer for good causes (which many believe politics to be)

Don't judge a culture based on our polarity in politics. If anything its a bonus! It shows how diverse and free America really is that this many people can have this many differing viewpoints and that's just the republicans, democrats, and Ron Paul guys...

Good generalization of the Paul guys though. I agree with that

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Dont blame the people

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

Actually of course you can change it. I addressed that. The American people just need the political stamina to see it all the way through. And it would probably take a long time to change. Even then I'm sure it wouldn't be 100% perfect, but we can strive to make it as perfect as possible.

And I'm not judging a culture at all. America is diverse and free because of its political system?
Our political system is a joke.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Only tax payers should vote? You sound like the people last year who were saying that only land owners should be able to vote.
Bull# in a fascist society, their is no vote. I do believe that people sucking off of the government teat should have no input into how taxes are raised and spent. We do that now and look at where it has gotten us. More people now vote for a living than actually work for a living. Those voting for a living are leeching off of everybody else.

Originally posted by CoolerAbdullah786So if you are unemployed you cannot vote, even if you had been employed for say 30 years and just recently lost your job? That's absolutely absurd.

If you are on welfare, food stamps, or any other government funded program; then no vote for you until you are off the government breast.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Bull# in a fascist society, their is no vote. I do believe that people sucking off of the government teat should have no input into how taxes are raised and spent. We do that now and look at where it has gotten us. More people now vote for a living than actually work for a living. Those voting for a living are leeching off of everybody else.

Originally posted by CoolerAbdullah786So if you are unemployed you cannot vote, even if you had been employed for say 30 years and just recently lost your job? That's absolutely absurd.

If you are on welfare, food stamps, or any other government funded program; then no vote for you until you are off the government breast.

Because, the government doing something FOR YOU (for a change) is something bad, all right?

By the way, it is my understanding that it is the government's PRIMARY PURPOSE to support their own citizens...but maybe you live in some fantasy where the government has some other "purpose", i would be interested to know what that's supposed to be. (Especially since the people are already paying taxes).

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

Well said, Flexy. I'm sorry but Darth Muerte is spouting nothing but typical Right-wing Tea Party talking points. They look down on people who receive assistance. It's completely arrogant and elitist. Honestly he's not even worth addressing. Promoting that anyone on assistance shouldn't be able to vote? Insane. I'd like to point out that a lot of people who receive food stamps and welfare ARE employed. They ARE taxpayers. So what then? Furthermore, what about people who are retired and receiving social security and medicare? That's assistance. They are not "working." Are retired people not allowed to vote under your dictatorship? What about college students who may not have a job? I guess they are out also? I suppose people need to show up with their most recent pay stub at their voting place?

I thank Allah every day that this ideology will never become mainstream and that America will not turn into this frightening Right-wing Caste System where the less fortunate are viewed as untouchables and not worthy of basic rights like voting.

top topics

join