It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria conflict: West 'blackmailing' Russia on sanctions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Syria Conflict: West 'Blackmailing' Russia on Sanctions

www.bbc.co.uk

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has said Western attempts to get Moscow to discuss sanctions against Syria contain "elements of blackmail".

Mr Lavrov said the West had threatened to end a UN observer mission if Russia opposed its draft resolution.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Dangerous Game: 'US almost daring Tehran to Strike First'
Russian Ship with Helicopters for Syrian Regime sets sail Again
Free Syrian Army Preparing for “Final Battle” for Damascus
Russia and China vow to protect Syria from becoming another Libya
edit on 7/16/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Well we wont see that speech from Lavrov on CNN ..
but he his totaly right on these blackmailing accusations

Thats Hilary Clinton jobs and best devil advocate .. even better then Rumsfeld
blackmailing others to follow their hidden agenda

Syria is in complete chaos and now a civil war
with new rules of wars

Russia is getting very pissed at the US and Nato
because they know whats going on and has been refusing numerous attempt to play the west imperial games

Peace envoy Kofi Annan is due in Moscow, and is expected to urge Russia to put more pressure on Syria's leaders to begin a political transition.

Russia has strong ties with Syria and has vetoed foreign intervention calls.

It has circulated its own draft resolution calling for the extension of the observer mission's mandate, which runs out on Friday. It does not contain any threat of sanctions against Damascus.

Mr Annan's visit comes amid reports of some of the heaviest fighting in the conflict so far around Damascus.

The BBC's Jim Muir says the clashes seem to be creeping ever closer to the heart of the capital and the centre of the government's power.

One thing we can be sure now
a WW3 will happen because there is clearly 2 side
it is half of the world VS the other half of the world
both side cant be underestimated and are egualy powerfull

Its a no win scenario if they go with this futur huge war
we know who is pushing for it by arming terrorist that kills children and woman and accuse the government
its easy when they have the news to cover their war crimes

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 7/16/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
One thing we can be sure now because of the US and Nato

Hi Ben

I'll call your bluff. I'll believe WW-III broke out when I see it until then, it's just fear mongering IMHO. I've said it before and I'll say it again Russia won't risk the lives of millions of it citizens over a ME dictator whose Capital is already seeing heavy fighting.

Again, As your own source states the fighting is edging closer to Damascus. It's only a matter of time before Assad will need to either vacate the country [Hopefully he and his family retire peacefully in Russia] or go the way of Qaddafi [regardless of Russian choppers] Let's hope it's not the latter

edit on 16-7-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Syria is sounding more and more like a universal jurisdiction candidate from the ICC.

As far as blackmail goes...... I dont really see it as such... All diplomatic efforts are failing and Russia is in the best position to help resolve the situation.

Maybe Russia and China should just abstain and let the UN go from there.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I Bluff ?

then US must be bluffing big time to put all those carriers to threat another country
we saw what kind of bluff they had for Saddam

are you a Master Bluffer to ?
you can add that your big list beside "Master Twister Slayer"

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
It's a Win-Win for the US,

If Russia/China continue their Veto, The "Rebels" continue until either Assad is forced into being Overthrown, or forced to utilize Weapons such as their Chemical Weapons that wold almost force Russia/China into intervention

if Russia/China agrees to intervention, the US gets Assad out and their Puppet Government into place,

This Russia - Versus - US Veto thing is stalling tactics, it's a Charade of 'Diplomatic Avenues'

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

All diplomacy is blackmail and bribery - as is all of human commerce and interaction.

"you do such-and-such and i'll either pay you to do it, or you will get something from it that you value, or if you dont' do it we're going to be upset and do something else..."

It's the art of negotiation - getting what you want while giving up as little as possible - the best result being usually described as "win-win"

so what?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

One thing we can be sure now a WW3 will happen because there is clearly 2 side it is half of the world VS the other half of the world both side cant be underestimated and are egualy powerfull

WW3 will not happen unless Russia and China are attacked directly.

However, west should stop arming the Syrian rebels via proxy countries like Saudi, UAE and Qatar. Let free and fair elections take place in 2014 and winning person and party become a president and parliament majority. End of all the nonsense and killing from both the sides.

Attack on Iran can wait till the Syrian elections are over. Removing Syria from being an Iranian supporter is the main objective of the West and hence they do not want to risk free elections. In the mean time, media wars and psych ops in full swing.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I agree that Russia is getting pissed and Putin isn't kidding. He's as serious as the men who occupied that office of his before him and I don't mean ink blot and the drunkard. Putin was playing deadly games for his country and against ours when Obama was smoking dope in school and wondering what the meaning of life is.

It's not about Syria or Iran for Russia as to why I believe they WILL go all the way to open fighting IF we are foolish enough to GO that far. I'm not sure why people speak of the Russians as the ones with the initiative here when the West has been forcefully inserting itself into the internal affairs of Syria since the day protests broke out and started this whole thing.

A KEY part of Russia's strategic control and influence over Europe and the E.U. Markets is about Gas, Liquid Natural Gas. Right now, Russia has more than a casual share of the market and has used it in the recent past as a club to whack nations with when it wasn't happy. They like their club. Quite recently a new gas line was approved by Iran, Iraq and Syria in a JOINT agreement which finalized the route and construction plans for the first Gas pipeline running from the immense Caspian reserves direct to a Med port and almost directly into European markets.

^^^ If that Pipeline is under the control of Russian client states...or at least ONE end of it is, then it changes nothing for strategic balance of power and all is well. If the West take Iran AND Syria both for influence? Well...Russia can go smoke their gas for all the good it'll ever do as a club or strategic issue for them again. Who needs the middleman? Well.. The Middleman is named Putin and he has a few words to say on the matter......Oh, and yeah, he's pissed.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Your post makes sense but only partially. Gas prices have been down lately because of the huge oil find in the US which results in big quantities of gas also releasing. In few years, US might be self sufficient in both gas and oil and gas it might be in next 2 years or so. If they stretch their wings a little, a lot of this US gas can even be exported to Europe although that is a long shot right now but new technologies can be developed.

Syria has more areas of value in addition to the gas pipeline alone. Geopolitics is in full swing but I doubt Putin will go as far as to play war with US.

The famed Russian ship carrying helicopters is nowhere near Syria or in direction of Syria, at least yet. That is what I had speculated before. Russians will not risk an open confrontation with the West. More so, when the drunkards and crooks in their own country have hollowed the military and economy except the energy sector. But for oil prices, Russia would be in tough shape in many a ways.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Battle for Damascus as Russia blocks UN resolution against Syrian regime

www.theaustralian.com.au...[editb y]edit on 16-7-2012 by victor7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Originally posted by Ben81
One thing we can be sure now because of the US and Nato

Hi Ben

I'll call your bluff. I'll believe WW-III broke out when I see it until then, it's just fear mongering IMHO. I've said it before and I'll say it again Russia won't risk the lives of millions of it citizens over a ME dictator whose Capital is already seeing heavy fighting.

Again, As your own source states the fighting is edging closer to Damascus. It's only a matter of time before Assad will need to either vacate the country [Hopefully he and his family retire peacefully in Russia] or go the way of Qaddafi [regardless of Russian choppers] Let's hope it's not the latter

edit on 16-7-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

It'll take 3 months for those choppers to be assembled, just in time for rebel pilots to take the joysticks.

The fighting in the Capital is a sign of the end, but hey the West haters would rather do a Baghdad Bob imitation and say the streets are calm. I am of the opinion Assad will vacate to Russia before his palace is overun, if it were his father then there would be a Qaddafi like ending.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   
The unbelievable idea that our "global" leaders are willing to engage in power-plays while people die has finally gelled in my head....

Our so-called leaders seem content to think that their collective national ego's actually outweigh the hundreds (if not thousands) of lives in the balance.... but of course, this is theater...

We really don't know, and won't be told what 'deals' the 'club members' are brewing - but we can guarantee that the media will be stoking the flames of propaganda until one side or the other is satisfied.... assuming there are truly "sides" to this... game of theirs. For all we know this could be just a problem they've created to facilitate their "solution."

Notice how much (and for how long) the carnage continues while they 'debate' and 'posture.'

They don't seem to really care about innocent people at all, do they?

Edit to add: Are we not entertained? [spit]
edit on 16-7-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Putin and Lavrov wont be fooled by "Monica" Clinton.

Russia should offer a counter black mail offer along the lines of:

You (NATO) "directly" attack Syria, and we'll invade Georgia.

If you do not retreat from Syria, we will completely level Georgia.

If you attack Iran, we hit Israel.

"You want to play Russian Roulette with a Russian?"

Put your balls on the table and pul the trigger first NATO.....

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia
Putin and Lavrov wont be fooled by "Monica" Clinton.

Russia should offer a counter black mail offer along the lines of:

You (NATO) "directly" attack Syria, and we'll invade Georgia.

If you do not retreat from Syria, we will completely level Georgia.

If you attack Iran, we hit Israel.

"You want to play Russian Roulette with a Russian?"

Put your balls on the table and pul the trigger first NATO.....

Good thinking! however that situation can bring us real close to WW3.

Russia attacks Georgia and seeks a regime change.

NATO calls it illegal and sends ships to Black Sea and F22 for a no fly zone.

Russia nukes Georgia with a casual laugh.

Any questions NATO? Want to take it any further??

Now that's a real counter blackmail.

NATO is dumbfounded and frozen in fear, surprise and mind block.

All New World Order planned is diluted down the drain......

edit on 16-7-2012 by victor7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Slayer ,I have not recieved reports of heavy fighting in the capital .Sporadic fighting yes but no heavy fighting.

And my sources are of the conclusion that a major regional war could start in oct 2012.
edit on 17-7-2012 by ludwigvonmises003 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ludwigvonmises003

Cool

I'll take your report with a grain of salt.

No offense.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Like I said ,I take most media reports with grain of salt. I have faith in my primary sources.I have been observing a pro al qaeda bias in you ,so I take your 'claims' with a load of salt

edit on 17-7-2012 by ludwigvonmises003 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ludwigvonmises003
Like I said ,I take most media reports with grain of salt.

Cool

For the uneducated.

Your News source: Spins, Slants or STRAIGHT OUT LIES!

I have faith in my primary sources.I have been observing a pro al qaeda bias in you ,so I take your 'claims' with a load of salt

Your primary sources eh?

Yeah, ok

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join