It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dental fillings linked to kids' behavior problems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Tooth decay is the most common chronic disease in the U.S. for kids. In fact, more than half of elementary school students will have cavities by the time they're in second grade, according to the National Institutes of Health. Since the 1970s, dentists have been using tooth-colored fillings that contain derivatives of the controversial chemical bisphenol A (BPA), in favor of the metal amalgam fillings.

The scientists found that young people who got tooth-colored fillings made with BPA derivatives reported higher rates of anxiety, depression and social stress, compared to children whose fillings were made with metals or other materials. The more fillings a child had, the greater the incidence of behavioral problems, according to the data.

My thoughts? Kids with bad parents that let them eat candy, chug pop and ignore brushing etc. are going to have more behavioral problems than kids who's parents actually force the oral hygiene issue. I certainly don't think having industrial plastic injected into the body is a great idea, and of course BPA may be the cause of the problems, but I highly doubt it. To me this study is like saying kids who only take 1 bath a month may have more behavioral problems.

Link

Frederick vom Saal, a biologist at the University of Missouri and a well-known critic of BPA, sees it differently. "This study provides evidence that the use of BPA-based composites should be re-evaluated."

I would agree.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I don't know.

You're probably onto something with the poor behavior related to poor parenting to some extent. I think some people also have poor genetics as far as teeth, or behavioral problems go.

I've never had a cavity in my life, never flossed, drink a bit too much, and have smoked something or another most of my life since age 12. I only brush once a day.

I'm sure there's more than a few reasons for things like this.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I've ofter wondered if there is a link to alsheimers as well

having metal in your head can't be good

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I see no problem with doing additional research into the effects of this material on the body.... BUT:

The types of statistics mean absolutely nothing in relation to showing a link between this material and issues with the children.

As you pointed out, the connection could be somewhere else entirely. Kids who gets fillings eat less healthy food, don't practice good hygiene, have less parental supervision, etc. These are all very possible reasons for the children's issues.

Correlation doesn't prove causation, that's a simple saying that seems to be lost on 99% of people around. They don't understand the simple fact that just because there is a correlation between two things, doesn't mean one thing is causing the other.

If you are a bad parent, odds are your kids will have a bad diet and practice poor hygiene. Having a bad diet and practicing poor hygiene will put you at much greater risk for getting cavities, and therefore fillings. Having bad parents, bad hygiene, and a bad diet seems more likely to the cause of the children's issues, not the filling. The fillings and behavioral issues are both symptoms of a larger problem, not a cause and effect of each other.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

I've never had a cavity in my life, never flossed, drink a bit too much, and have smoked something or another most of my life since age 12. I only brush once a day.

I've had 1 filling. I was a pro brusher until probably 16 and I just brush when I get stinky or fuzzy teeth. So lazy. Actually just went and got new toothbrush. More buttons than the Enterprise.

I think you're right about genetics too. Perhaps behavioral problem gene linked to tooth decay gene or something.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Don't bag too too much about people with cavities... I had braces when I was young and took SUPER good care of them. I have no visible marks or anything from the braces (like the white spots some people have from not taking good enough care of them) and I still keep up the same routine. I brush twice a day, ALWAYS before bed, floss and use mouthwash... but ever since I turned 18 or so, for some reason I get cavities now. Kind of a lot, on my molars. I hate it and try, but for some reason... Argh.

Anyway, scary thought about what's being put into people's skulls. Thanks for bringing it up.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

This study said metal fillings make kids act better

The scientists found that young people who got tooth-colored fillings made with BPA derivatives reported higher rates of anxiety, depression and social stress, compared to children whose fillings were made with metals or other materials.

Anyways, BPA shouldn't be put in to childrens mouths. It has far too many negative health relations as it is synthetic estrogen after all.
edit on 16-7-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

as it is synthetic estrogen after all.

Did not know that, thanks (I think, now I have to read more!).

top topics

join