It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I HATE my cell phone!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I HATE MY CELL PHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate there is no celletiquette, like calling before or after ten, from bill collectors to best friends that phone could ring at any ridiculous hour of the day.

That damn screen that used to comfort me at night in my early twenties now haunts me as a receiver of bad news.

THE TEXT MESSAGING which I once relished in but now hate because if you don't respond in ten seconds the other person gets impatient or tense and sends 15 messages in a row going from inquisitive to full fledged crazy insecure desperate pleads for a response.

The text messaging SOUND I once welcomed as a nice respite from my day to be entertained by a friend by a little exchange of funny short quips has now turned into a cacophony of "PRING PRING PRING" that literally make me jump out of my seat in anxiety every single time I hear them.

The NOVELING which is what I like to call when someone writes you five texts in a row and you have to reply with an equivalent amount of texts or else you experience the dreaded insecure desperate pleads for a response or god forbid the accusation that you might be BUSY WITH SOMETHING MORE IMPORTANT at the time.

THE BILL. There is no way in hell I use as many minutes as my phone bill says unless they are including the minutes it takes me to write a dam novel to someone. It's impossible, it's ridiculous, and I'm paying for absolute torture at this point.

THE VOICEMAILS NO ONE CHECKS
No one and I mean NO ONE checks their voicemails. Ever. Period. You just "7 7 7 7 7 7 7 mail box is empty" I left my friend messages for days and she says "I havnt heard from you in forever" "Dude I left you like 5 messages" "Oh I dont check voicemail".

IVE HAD ENOUGH
I want to throw my phone in a river, or step on it, or beat it with a hammer. People EXPECT me to text when I'm driving. My sons father texted me when I was on the way to drop him off. I pulled over, typed "Im driving" then got back on the road where he continued to text me until I got there.

IT CAN KILL YOU
Before I actually followed the no texting while driving rule I almost died at LEAST 3 times because of this stupid device.

Do any of you live without a cellphone? If so... PLEASE TELL ME HOW

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
it's just a cellphone, I don't know why people use them like this.. just turn it off when you don't want to hear it..

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I did but now its being forced upon us if you wanna live in society. Unless your rich you can hire a secretary or a helper to do everything for you. Just like internet, transportation blah blah...

"oh you dont have a car, well we cant hire you. even though were not gonna have you drive anywhere for us it just means you dont care about getting to your job on time" same with cell phones
edit on 16-7-2012 by BacknTime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Yeah, that works in theory right?

But then you turn it on, and theres hours of catching up to do, and then the messages saying "We were so worried about you, we almost called the hospitals" and got forbid I turn it off when I have my son, or his father will basically call the cops to be sure we are OK.

It was far more simple to ring the house, no answer, ok they are out somewhere.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ValentineWiggin

Turn it off.

Or do what I did over a year ago,,,over the bridge and into the river,

I sleep well at night now.

Peace

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I had a pager when they were all the rage. I didn't want it but I had to have it.
I never knew who was paging me.
I prefer the cellphone so now I can see who to ignore.
I just delete my VM's without listening.
Mostly I dump the texts too. If they really need me, they can try 5 more times if it is really important. That way they screen themselves.
Otherwise, I would prefer two tin cans and no string.

PS. This is the most intelligent and interesting post I have seen in a month.

edit on 16-7-2012 by Nite_wing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

yeah tell me about it. with some of my family members i actually been yelled at for NOT having a cell phone under of those same conditions. They thought i was stupid or something. But it just shows how certain people think. Imagine how they will treat their employees for NOT having certain technology in the future

edit on 16-7-2012 by BacknTime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Turn it off.

Or do what I did over a year ago,,,over the bridge and into the river,

I sleep well at night now.

Peace

You did the river dance with yours too hunh? too funny.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by BacknTime
I did but now its being forced upon us if you wanna live in society. Unless your rich you can hire a secretary or a helper to do everything for you. Just like internet, transportation blah blah...

You know, perhaps there's money to be made in developing some kind of intelligent electronic secretary that's accessible over the Internet...

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by XeroOne

you may be right

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I think these "smart phones" have become an addiction for a lot of people. I know people who go crazy if they are out of cell range but will keep checking their damn phone every few minutes.

People all around me have their noses in their cell phones. I take my kids to swimming lessons and watch them while other moms cannot take their eyes off the phone. It is this way almost anywhere these days. I have a cheap Tracphone so I can call someone if I have to! But I never answer the phone while driving and I hate texting. Call me for crying out loud if ya have something to say otherwise it really isn't that important.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
AND It's become the "standby" thing to do in awkward situations. Text. So then eeeeeeeeeveryone knows.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Are you just ranting or will you do something about it?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

First, I enjoyed the humor that you put into your rant. It's a riteous rant, and applicable to the current times.

I resent that my cell company sends me spam all the time, self-advertising various events and programs. I wouldn't mind SO much, if they'd allow me to respond, because then it could be fun if I knew that at least one person in the company had to read my churlish responses.

Here's what I do, and I suggest you do the same: I carry my cell phone all day, especially when I'm in the deep bush where I might get hurt and need help. When I get home, I put it on my computer table. After 9:00, I put it in a drawer. Chirp away, you annoying toy, chirp to your digitized hearts content, because nobody will hear you.

I wake up refreshed, and check my messages. I respond to those who have left me a message, which encourages them to do the same.

I only text with my Bride; she's the only one who deserves my thumb-plucking time.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Are you just ranting or will you do something about it?

Im trying to find a solution to living without one, it seems near impossible.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Look up at how you can make the creditor calls stop.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ValentineWiggin
Yeah, that works in theory right?

But then you turn it on, and theres hours of catching up to do, and then the messages saying "We were so worried about you, we almost called the hospitals" and got forbid I turn it off when I have my son, or his father will basically call the cops to be sure we are OK.

It was far more simple to ring the house, no answer, ok they are out somewhere.

Valentine, does it actually make your life any better?, personally i decided it didn't and i have not had a phone in regular use for three or four years.
I love it, if my friends want me, they come and see me, far more satisfying, i didn't miss it, and the benefits of having peace back in my life far outweighed any perceived negatives.
I do have a phone around for emergencies, i only switch it on if i know one of my friends absolutely has to get in touch, or in emergencies, but i can't wait to switch it off.
Also i hate the idea that the government with voice print analysis, and gps can follow you to the inch all day every day if they so desire, *uck that.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

I understand, I was just trying to figure out where you were, before replying. Not sure I have any other advice other then to not let it rule you... I have a terrible habit of leaving my cell at home, I'm always missing calls and/or messages.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I tend to agree with the overwhelming majority of folks that advise you use that button and simply turn it off.
If people OMGWTFBBQ you then simply tell them that your peace of mind was more important than their paranoia.
Leave your voicemail message something like I am sleeping and will get back to you no later than 48 hours.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
It took me two years to convince my friends and family about that i hate phones being used just to kill time, now i have the most silent phone in the world, and if a call or message comes in, i know it's important.

How did i convince them? I didn't answear any calls or messages for two years, instead i showed up at their place and asked what they want, you know face to face.

It took some time, but they realized that they should only contact me if it's really important, and if they just want to chit chat, i got coffea and beer and a nice place to sit and enjoy a chit chat.

I have Skype to, with the same rules.

It's been so nice and quiet for a long time now, and i actually see people more now than during the noisy hell of a ring tone.

edit on 16-7-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-7-2012 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join