It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kelly's Heroes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Kelly's Heroes, with Clint Eastwood, Telly Savalas, Donald Sutherland and Don Rickles, anno 1972-ish. One of the most awesome war movies I've ever seen. It's got humor, it's got sad moments, it's got interesting characters - hell, it's even got awesome combat scenes.

And it's got Clint Eastwood.

Young people today don't even know about movies like this one. It's kind of sad, really. Personally, I grew up with it. Had it on VHS, and literally watched the casette to destruction.

edit on 16-7-2012 by Gauss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

One of my all time favorite movies. I have to agree with you. Thank you for reminding me to dig this one out ofh the VHS box... I think I may still have a few plays left on my copy before to disinegrates...
Red

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I used to watch it almost every time it showed up on the TV when I was younger.

Great all-star casting.

I was able to share it with my kids not long ago when I found an old DVD of it at the local public library.

I like the song at the end (Burning Bridges by the Mike Curb Congregation), and remember when the radio stations used to include it in their line-up.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by redzareptile

No problemo, dude. I'm glad to see someone else here has heard of this epic movie.
Methinks I do that I will be "acquiring" it tonight.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
GREAT movie. Didn't Carrol O'Conner(Archie Bunker) play a general in it and was funny as hell? Haven't seen it in a while.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Oh yes indeed he did. That guy was awesome.

"BONZOR!!!! GET ME MY UNIFOOOOOOORM!!!!
"

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by davidchin

Oh yea, I loved Burning Bridges. There's actually a version out there sung by Clint Eastwood himself. Here ya go.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I only recently discovered this movie, and it is an instant classic for me. Donald Sutherland has to be one of the best actors of all time. I watched him in this, then in The Dirty Dozen. These movies should be re-released, not redone. A whole two maybe three generations could really get a kick out of these classic masterpieces.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Bobaganoosh

Yeah, I love Donald Sutherland, and this was the first movie I ever saw him in. Such a great actor.

And I agree with you. I'm pretty sure if Hollywood tries to do a remake of this, there will be a divine intervention when God sends a lighting bolt up their behinds.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

Did you see him in MASH? Awesome again. About the same era. Btw, did you know that Sutherland is Canadian?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Yeah, haha, funny how everybody thinks he's American. Even more funny that Jack Bauer is also not American.

I don't think I did see him in MASH. I never had the chance to sit down and watch through the whole of that show. I might have to get to it one of these days tho.

I gotta say, though, my favorite character in the movie was Sergeant Job (spelling?) He seemed like such a thoroughly awesome guy. Shame he had to die out in that mine field.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Gauss

Not the TV show. The movie:

www.imdb.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I love this movie and have sen it many, many times.

Outside of the great cast... the thing that jumps out at me as a WWII amateur historian is the weaponry.

They did a great job with the Tiger tanks, the Shermans, the German armored vehicles as kelly and crew ride through the German occupied village... oh, and the US halftrack with the 105 howitzer.... wow... but the Tigers...awesome.

All of these guys bounced back and forth between some really great WWII movies of the late 1960s and early 1970s... Where Eagles Dare... Dirty Dozen... Battle of the Bulge

My favorite character is Harry Dean Stanton... remember the seen where he and "Cowboy" get caught in the outhouse... "kinda' smells like home, don't it ol' buddy."

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
The movie MASH was nothing like the book.

But I have Kelly's Heroes on DVD.

new topics

top topics

join