It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do IPads have souls?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I highly doubt that video game characters can fake genuine emotions.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by ImNotHuman
Your soul or conscious has the ability to create and think for its self into the future, (what will i do tomorrow) and in the past. (remeber that time i dunked on shaq)

An ipad cant create for itself it can only do what the app lets it do. it cant think for its self willingly or create for that matter. it can only do what it is told it can, not what it cant because its limits are are what it can do, what it cant do is everything that isnt programmed/or told(w/e, u get it).

so no doesnt have a soul because if it were it would have no limits.

Tomorrow I will turn into a lion and fly to venus.

I have limits also. I work within my limitations and programming. a machine with a decent AI program for choice based on priorities verses environmental variables may indeed consider what it will do tomorrow (or in .00247 seconds..which is like tomorrow for it anyhow)...the computer would not entertain any serious consideration to go outside its programming just like we won't either unless we are corrupted mentally)

We are living in a time where we learn false limitaions before we are even 6 yrs old. we are conscious. if you think about turning into a lion that "daydream"(or w/e) really happens. thats the creation we as conscious beings possess. but we live in a place where they tell us you cant do this or you cant do that and they do that before you can even figure out if you can do it yourself and that keeps us from doing things we can do. you physically cant do it but in your mind you can. But because you think you cant you dont. even if you say yea i can, deep down your saying no i cant.
edit on 16-7-2012 by ImNotHuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

What is a soul, or consciousness..is it purely ego? What is the difference between our collected information and input in our biochemical computer we call a brain verses the silicon based brain in a ipad?

So.

If I have something greater than myself, does that mean anything of equal potential also has a greater part of self? Does my Ipad have a soul? Does my toaster have potential of being a pop star, etc...granted, these things don't process as much as me..my toaster has a sensor to detect when toast is burning and will react approprately based on its programs...I will react to a fire if I sense it, and some higher intelligence may react to the infrasonic blastings we are unaware of due to our sensory limitations...Some alien species may wonder if us weird biological machines are alive..sure, we self program, but are we..a person..alive..with such limited ability.

Try to get past the ego when responding...and answer with a logical understanding of what makes me a person, alive, and the processes that go into that, and how a computer doesn't stack up...

A materialistic mind wank is all those questions really are. Soul/consciousness/etc has nothing to do with processing potential, brains, etc. Nothing.

If an individuals knows they are, they know of soul, whatever that individual is. It is impossible to describe soul; you either know it, or you dont. Language is woefully inadequate to convey the knowing of having (being) soul. Its not possible to explain to those who dont have that knowledge; they do not have any point of experiential reference to base the definition on, so will not understand. It would be like trying to explain colors to a blind person; aint gonna happen.

Meditate, and you will see that you are (I am). You will know you are qualitatively different than an unthinking machine, and you will realize in an instant the difference between programming, free will and determinism, soul, awareness, consciousness, etc, and all those things that simulate such, but on the inside are hollow and lifeless, and without any of the things they mimic.

Once you realize "I am", and experience it even briefly (not hard to do), your questions about souls and if iPads have them will be answered, because you will know precisely what a soul is at that point.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Do shoes have souls?

On a serious note, I can kind of understand where you are coming from, but no, the learning process alone does not give one soul, self awareness does, I think therefore I am......

So soul may not be unique to humans as there are animals out there we believe are self aware (the mirror test).

However, I do think that the human soul is complemented by our intelligence and ability to make things like iPads and such like, you don't see Nellie programming and Android phone, even though they are apparently self aware through the mirror test. (I think complex speech/language plays a big part here also).

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
If I insult a computer will it legitimately feel anger? If a computer loses a loved one will it cry? Does a computer naturally feel emotion? Can a computer grow and learn from birth without being programmed? These are all things that make humans unique and give the possibility for us to have a "soul". It is we that create the electronic devices, and while they do imitate they will never be human, and therefore will never have a soul.

If you insult a infant, will it feel anger? If the infant lost its mother, would it cry (for the mother, not for food), etc.

Emotions, connections, etc are taught (programmed) by society.
If I lose a loved one, I will feel sad..but if someone 3 miles away dies, I will feel ultimately nothing...because I am not programmed to concern myself with that person.

We create artificial limbs, do we question a person that lost arms and legs to somehow have less of a soul due to parts missing? consider that experiment..how many parts can you take off a person before they are without a "soul". You will find you can replace everything except for the brain and it is still a soul creature...aka, remove the processor/information storage of programming.

If I had a soul, I should be able to swap out the brain like one would a tooth and still be "self", no? so, since I can't, then we are simply a product of programming.

I believe you coming from the position that the soul (spiritual) somehow stems from the physical. You need to turn that on its head if you really want to come to any real truths.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

I thought this thread was stupid when I first read the title, but then I saw who wrote it and said, "Wait a minute... this may have some merit". Also, my husband told me to check it out.

VERY interesting questions you pose, sir. I do think there is a basic "difference" between the consciousness of a live being and the "consciousness" of a toaster or an ipad, but I'm not really sure what it is. I don't know how to define my consciousness and I haven't even answered the question, "Do I have a soul"? And so, I don't think I'll ever know the answer to that, either. But your questions and observations are REALLY good! Thought provoking!

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
My iPad is my soul mate...ergo, iPad's have souls...

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity

I highly doubt that video game characters can fake genuine emotions.

I highly doubt republicans can fake genuine emotions...whats the difference?

If its convincing, its convincing...when you watch a movie of someone crying, do you believe they are sad that timmy fell down a well? Chances are you don't contemplate much about it..you simply accept it as real for the moment (even though you know different). When a politician is crying about America, is he faking it? When your spouse is smiling at you with tears and say they love you, are they faking it?

We can only define what is real for ourselves and what is fake..once it is outside of our direct sphere...its all the same..be it a computer generated code, a lying politician, a actor, a spouse, your dog, etc..just an illusion we can either choose to believe is sincere or just a programmed action for response evocation.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Electricity is a living force - so yes, I-pad is living

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Not yet. They will though. Within 50 years we will have sentient machines who will believe they have a soul. And if we do not treat them well we will have to abandon this planet and find another.....again.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
hmm i think we should go back in history and find out where the term soul came from
who thought hey we can think
we can write we can talk etc etc
so that means we have souls? its a strange concept

What does it mean to have a soul anyway? how do we know we have one?
the evidence of a soul?

is a soul just a promise to have an afterlife? is it only available to humans? would an ET have a soul?

its really a bunch of questions and it depends on the persons beliefs

i personally like to believe i have a soul and that theres something after death
the concept of becoming non existent doesnt sit well with me and thats most likely because i love living and i dont want to think itll all mean nothing in the end
ive read around that some cultures believe the universe was created by the soul

now back to the original topic if processing information or "living" in the human sense means having a soul and there is a machine with a program so well made it is a mirror image of a human mind then yes they can have a soul why not?

if anyone have bring me some insight into those questions or say their opinions about em itd be great xD

top topics

<< 1   >>

join