It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Project to examine ‘Yeti’ DNA launched

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Project to examine ‘Yeti’ DNA launched

A new collaboration between Oxford University and the Lausanne Museum of Zoology will use the latest genetic techniques to investigate organic remains that some have claimed belong to the ‘Yeti’ and other ‘lost’ hominid species.

The Oxford-Lausanne Collateral Hominid Project invites institutions and individuals with collections of cryptozoological material (cryptozoology: the search for animals whose existence is not proven) to submit details of the samples they hold, and then on request submit the samples themselves, particularly hair shafts, for rigorous genetic analysis. The results will then be published in peer-reviewed scientific journals.

Ever since Eric Shipton’s 1951 Everest expedition returned with photographs of giant footprints in the snow there has been speculation that the Himalayas may be home to large creatures ‘unknown to science’. Since then, there have been many eye-witness reports of such creatures from several remote regions of the world. They are variously known as the ‘yeti’ or ‘migoi’ in the Himalaya, ‘bigfoot’ or ‘sasquatch’ in America, ‘almasty’ in the Caucasus mountains and ‘orang pendek’ in Sumatra, as well as others.

Personally I believe in the possibility of such creatures still existing in the still isolated and remotest regions of our planet. Not to mention other locations such as the often visited forests of North America's Pacific North West etc.

I'm glad to read this. Hopefully, now they can start tossing out all the Hoaxes and clean up the field and make these types of studies/research respectable.

All supposed physical evidence to date always seems to turn out to be a YAK scalp or some other such known animal.

I'm going to be following this endeavor and will post updates accordingly as more is revealed

edit on 16-7-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Very interesting to hear that accredited institutions may be taking a more serious look into this.

It' would, however, be nicer were some of these institutions to secure funding, possibly with the aid of sponsors like Nat-Geo for proper expeditions by serious accredited scientific academics.

Currently, all we really seem to have in the field are self-proclaimed researchers and hodge-podge groups like BFRO, and the Erickson Project that for all their seeming efforts, can't seem to get a grasp on a sober, reserverd scientific approach, without self promotional charlatan-like publicity hype, along with all the community disappointments and questions of legitimacy that come with it.

As I understand it, there IS a legitimate field study attempting to track down and document Orang Pendek, which if your unfamiliar with OP, can be described as a possible chimpanzee sized bipedal hominid, or miniature sasquatch of sorts.

Supposedly there's a personality named Melba Ketchum, associated with the controversial Erickson Project that is testing what is supposed to be sasquatch DNA, but, we've as of yet gotten any results from any of this, and such is thus going to be questionable if or when results come up.
Any results will of course need be independently verified by alternate labs other than any associated with Ketchum, or the Erickson Project.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

You are right about Ketchum. David Paulides has been looking into Bigfoot for a while also, and is one of the original guys pushing for DNA testing . Dave has MANY good books on the subject, and a few I own.

When we started the bigfoot DNA project we collected dozens of samples and then solicited specimens from different groups and individuals across North America, eventually collecting over one hundred.

The bigfoot DNA is much more complex than anyone outside the project understands. Dr. Melba Ketchum has been the lead scientific researcher and has caught much flack from other groups who have no idea of the complexity or the internal protocol develops by researchers. There are some outsiders who believe they are entitled to more information then has been released.

Interview with David Paulides on Native Bigfoot perspectives and DNA revelations

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I beleive people are seeing something...I would hate to find one on my trailcam , people would be calling me a hoaxer...but I dont have to worry about it here in S.C. The red necks with those loud trucks scare everything away...

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by avatard

All joking aside, You've made a good point in that oftentimes many travel through the backwoods and hill country in Trucks, SUVs and or motorcycles and or 4 wheel ATVs. All of which one can here coming from a good distance away and avoid them accordingly if one chooses to in the woods.

Roger Patterson rode up on one that he supposedly captured on film on horse back.

Which some believe the Horse may have masked his human scent.

edit on 16-7-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Shameless bump then off into the Abyss....

posted on Jul, 22 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
I find it amazing that most countries have a story of a bigfoot like creature. They must be rather smart to avoid blatant capture if they exist, I dont mean that in the way of oh look we stumbled onto a bigfoot cooking his dinner but leaving remains of kills/hunts, droppings, deceased bigfoots or bigfeet lol. Maybe they bury their dead does that mean they stay in social groups. Hunters can track all sorts of animals from the things listed above.

I would love to hear of proof of whatever they are whether neanderthals or offshoots of monkey, anything inbetween I reckon it would be allgood. Thanx for the info Slayer s&f.

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
i would share my experience with shooting a bigfoot but i have no pics so it didnt happen

posted on Jul, 31 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by stealthmonkey

There's absolutely zero excuse for not having pictures these days, especially regarding such a claim.
Everyone has a camera phone.

Even if the unlikely prospect of someone not having a phone with camera were to occur, it's just inconceivable that someone could shoot, and kill a bigfoot, and then just walk away from the corpse since killing a bigfoot/sasquatch and having the evidence right there is just like winning the lottery.

Anyone killing a bigfoot and bringing forward the evidence, cutting off the head, and a foot, as grisly as that sounds to carry back to civilization if transport of the full body is impossible would still turn into something close to a $1,000,000 paycheck.

new topics

top topics

join