It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 Year Old Mugged In NYC - Can Some of the Blame be put on the Parents?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
So I'm sure many have seen the headline. I'm going to say right away there is no justification for committing the crime - there is no "you asked for it" I am going to defend. But I want to question a few things and see the repsonses.

A cruel thug ripped a $400 gold chain off the neck of a 3-year-old boy who was sitting in his stroller and being pushed by his mom in Bedford-Stuyvesant in Brooklyn on Tuesday, law-enforcement sources said

Question #1) Why were the parents out in Bed-Stuy walking around with their three year old @ 11:45 pm? Yes, they were doing laundry, but taking a 3 year old with several family members to the laundry mat @ 11:45 pm? Shouldn't he have been in bed sleeping with (one) of the family members watching him?
Question #2) Why is a three year old wearing a $400 gold necklace? I know it was a gift, but really?
Question #3) Is it safe to say that walking around a dangerous neighborhood @ 11:45 pm wearing bling heightens your chances of getting robbed?
Question #4) Are these parents guity of neglect?

Some neighbors in this tough neighborhood had this to say:

“Don’t walk around with your child strapped in a stroller wearing a $400 gold chain!” fumed a 41-year-old mom who lives nearby

“I have plenty of stuff myself, but I don’t put them on and go outside,” added Patricio Gonzalez, who manages a nearby deli. “I don’t want to get killed.”

If you chum the water, attract a bunch of great whites and then jump in, what are your expectations?
Is this a fair analogy? Again, not saying they asked for it, but certainly they made an easy target.

Bling wearing baby mugged

Blingtastic Boy Robbed

Thoughts?

ColoradoJens
edit on 16-7-2012 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Well common sense would be to

1) not have the kid out that late at night. But it could be excused if there weren't any other better options
2) not have the kid wearing something that expensive. But again, could be excused

But the fact is the child is 3 years old so obviously the parents are to blame for anything that happens to it. All of the blame is on the parents. Maybe not "neglect" in that sense but certainly neglecting to be smart.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Not neglect, but definitely stupidity.

A 3 year old doesn't need a 4 hundred dollar chain. Whether it's Bed Stuy or Boise Idaho.

The parents are dumb people.
-Fin

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   
It all sounds like excuses to me...
Doing laundry that late at night in Bed Stuy? C'mon, the people live there, they know better! They were probably loitering or something else IMO, doing laundry was an excuse.
I personally know people who's kids have extravagant "gifts" like this childs $400 necklace. "gift" = bought with drug money, they don't want welfare knowing that they spent all that money on materialistic things while milking the system.

Nonetheless, the child was put in a horrible position by parents and family/friends whom evidently need parenting classes... Yes the 3yr old should've been in bed sleeping.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
There is a simple rule in life that if you dont want people to steal something don't let them know you have it, so pushing a kid around wearing serious bling is going to attract attention and if they can't handle the attention then don't put the kid in the way of trouble

But i'd blame the parents as they dressed the child and decided to go out at that time of night so its their fault should anything happen

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
The parents seem to be show offs. "We're so rich we can buy bling for our baby". Worked out well didn't it mom and dad?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
The parents seem to be show offs. "We're so rich we can buy bling for our baby". Worked out well didn't it mom and dad?

Perhaps. So rich they were going to the laundromat @ 11:45 pm. Priorities anyone?

CJ

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64

It was a "gift", remember? lol
But yeah, if you put bling on your kid like that, you're showing off.
The family are probably drug dealers, putting bling on their child like that is some kind of status symbol i'd think. That's the way it is around here where I live.

ETA: It may sound sick but I'm glad the thieves got away. I hope the parents learned a valuable lesson. That child could've been killed.
edit on 16-7-2012 by kimish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Once again, people get what they ask for. They're just lucky the child wasn't hurt. This time...

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kimish

I was thinking that putting bling on the kid was some way of advertising they had drugs for sale. Seems like a code or something to me.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
reply to post by kimish

I was thinking that putting bling on the kid was some way of advertising they had drugs for sale. Seems like a code or something to me.

Yes, it is a code. Reinforcing the absurd notion that you are what you wear. Image is everything.

CJ

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Who would expect a criminal to attack a toddler? In a stroller at that. The child had probably been wearing the chain most of the day or something and they forgot to take it off. I cant see parents saying 'off to the laundry mat lets put on your bling'. But anyway I think its weird that the deli owner doesnt wear her nice things.....if you arent going to wear it out, whats the point of having it?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

I find it hard to say "off to the laundrymat" at 11:45 with your three year old in tow when clearly other family members were with them. Why not leave one behind while the child sleeps? Was it for protection, knowing it is a dangerous neighborhood? If that was the case, why have a gold chain on a strapped in youngster making it all that easier to rob?

CJ

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
Who would expect a criminal to attack a toddler? In a stroller at that.

Better question is: who wouldn't expect that? Can't think of a much easier target...
esp. in a crappy neighborhood that late at night.

edit on 16-7-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

I find it hard to say "off to the laundrymat" at 11:45 with your three year old in tow when clearly other family members were with them.

I live in a neighborhood of a lot of families of Mexican descent.

They go together as a family. It seems to be part of the culture. If they go to the doctor - the entire family goes. If they go to the grocery store - the entire family goes.

Yes I've seen the whole family strollers and all late at night in a laundro-mat.

I'm on the west coast. Just saying - - its not that unusual.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Reply to post by ColoradoJens

The only other family member was his teenage brother who was only 13, the mother may not have felt he was mature enough to take care of his brother while she was out.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

@11:45 pm with a three year old in tow is just bad parenting in my opinion. Poor kid needs sleep. Especially if ONE person can stay home and watch him.

CJ

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   

A 13 year old should be in bed at that time too. Perhaps doing your laundry the next morining would be a better idea.

CJ

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Reply to post by ColoradoJens

From the article im assuming shes a single mother. She may not have time in the morning if she has to go to work or get the kids off to camp or somthing.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
If you, as a parent, can afford to dress your 3 year old in bling... you can surely afford to move to a better neighborhood.........

At least that would be a common sense solution if you as parents had your priorities in order

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join