It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trigger for past rapid sea level rise discovered

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I remember in school, my science teacher saying he personally didn't believe the melting of the icecaps would cause the sea levels to rise all that much.

The example he used was if you have a glass of coke with ice in it and it melts does your glass overflow?

Even if the level of the ice was above the rim of the glass the water displacement and weight of the ice will already be accounted for.

Which seemed pretty reasonable.

But then again if the ice is touching the bottom its weight is being supported by the ice itself and not the water, no? so maybe he didn't think that through, but i'm no Archimedes lol
edit on 25-7-2012 by WhoWhatWhy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhoWhatWhy
reply to post by intrptr

I remember in school, my science teacher saying he personally didn't believe the melting of the icecaps would cause the sea levels to rise all that much.

The example he used was if you have a glass of coke with ice in it and it melts does your glass overflow?

Even if the level of the ice was above the rim of the glass the water displacement and weight of the ice will already be accounted for.

Which seemed pretty reasonable.

But then again if the ice is touching the bottom its weight is being supported by the ice itself and not the water, no? so maybe he didn't think that through, but i'm no Archimedes lol

Neither am I. Sounds like you had a cool science teacher. He used visuals from a laymen's approach and you remember the lesson.

We need more teachers like that. His idea about the glass of water and melting ice is a good one. It gave me an idea. If there are resivors or oceans of water "below" the oceans of the planet, wouldn't they equalize the level of the sea no matter how much ice melted? I don't know the answer to that either.

I did google this. Might help understand the projections by scientists...

...if antarctica melts

new topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join