It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London 2012 Olympics: Welcome To the Cleaner's Ghetto

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Source

Ten to a room and one shower for 75 people: Inside the 'slum' camp for Olympic cleaners

They sleep in portable cabins, some of which have been leaking in the rain, at the campsite in East LondonThe bad weather has left the site flooded with stagnant water, forcing the cleaners to use abandoned crates as makeshift ‘stepping stones’

‘It is like a slum inside,’ says one worker from Hungary

Uh oh, 3rd world conditions at London's Olympics? Say it isn't so?

Not only are they using cheap foreign labor, but they're going to treat them as such it seems.

Cleaners at the camp have signed gagging orders preventing them from talking to the Press and have been banned from having family and friends visit ‘for security reasons’.
One worker, from Hungary, said conditions were ‘very bad’ inside the camp but he had nowhere else to live. ‘It is like a slum inside,’ the 24-year-old said.
‘The toilets are dirty and the space is very little.’

Another, also from Hungary, said: ‘When we saw the camp, we were shocked. When we came to England we thought accommodation would be much nicer.

Thoughts ATS?

Truly ironic that they would provide a tax haven for the largest corporations on the planet during the Olympics, make this huge ordeal about how wonderful it is, and then basically treat everybody who is making it happen like they are criminals and un-desirables..

~Tenth
edit on 7/16/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Proper Olympic ambience then...
Not.

Feels like everything that is being done now days have this nice facade and behind it, total s***.
edit on 16-7-2012 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by LiberalSceptic

They did something similar here in Canada a few years ago with the homeless and "undesireables".

Basically kept them in a ghetto in which they could not get out while everything was going down.

~Tenth

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Well. Money is tight, economy is bad. Obviously cheap labor is the way to go for UK. I wonder if they even spent the full amount on the housing facilities allocated to them or someone pocketed the funds by constructing inferior cottages for the cleaners? Sounds corrupt to me.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I think they should count themselves lucky for even having that, While in England, I saw much worse off, in the London Underground. What were the workers expecting, a Holiday Inn. I look at this as a growing situation, My father was an immagrant, and if he had, had it easy from the start, it would not of made him the MAN he is today, at least they have a shelter, water, a job, etc....

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
im not discounting the story....but im also not fully embracing it as truth...

this picture found on the article

Messy: Some who had come to the UK desperate for the jobs turned back, describing the camp as 'horrible', with showers and toilets 'filthy' from over-use

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

okay...that is NOT a filthy living environment...in fact it is very clean room; however, the people living in it are slobs.....

where are these pictures of filth?

i dont see the beds/floors - the actual environment any different than say a hostile that someone may stay in while backpacking thru Europe....

perhaps its the tenants who have created a nasty living environment...not everyone has the same clean standards....and by the looks of that room...bunch of messy slobs are living there....

....just sayn'...bit of media sensationalism....
edit on July 16th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glassbender777
I think they should count themselves lucky for even having that, While in England, I saw much worse off, in the London Underground. What were the workers expecting, a Holiday Inn. I look at this as a growing situation, My father was an immagrant, and if he had, had it easy from the start, it would not of made him the MAN he is today, at least they have a shelter, water, a job, etc....

We are talking about the Olympics right? This event is supposed to highlight the best of the worlds athletes, yet we hear about the slums the workers are forced to live in and the gag order they have to comply with. These sorts of conditions are unhealthy and can cause disease to spread quickly.

But you think it will make them a "Man", becoming manlier through this "growing situation", and they should be happy with what they have?

If we were living in the 1800's Wild West I would agree, but considering our more "advanced" society in which we are supposed to be living, this should be as unacceptable as the conditions in the London Underground.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Well I do not really know how to comment something like that...
As I said, it is all a facade.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Hmm that does actually not look that horrible.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I agree that that particular housing unit doesnt seem bad at all. I have had to sleep in worse conditions. But if you scroll down further in the page you see this:

I doubt they are as nice inside as the pic you provided. Can they even get those beds in there?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
i pity those guys in those conditions. if only they'd known that england is a sh*thole sinking in a swamp of greed, they might have saved themselves the trouble. uk-bound migratory workers, think carefully before heading for the streets of london, for they are paved with anything but gold. a higher concentration of lonely people, in one place, is hard to find. soulless.

but hey - go team GB!!

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

You are discounting the story because you don't see mud and actual filth. I can tell you that in that picture you see 4 people living within feet of each other AND it's only half a picture so I would assume that it is a large room of bunks. Fema trailers probably looked okay the first few weeks in. The beds in that room are likely that clean because of the people living there in opposition to your slob theories.

That is a detail of one picture. The story said ten to a room, the other mentions were outside (except some of the rooms leaking).

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247

I agree that that particular housing unit doesnt seem bad at all. I have had to sleep in worse conditions. But if you scroll down further in the page you see this:

I doubt they are as nice inside as the pic you provided. Can they even get those beds in there?

If there are high winds....That looks like dominoes. Hope those are tied down or secured in some way.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

I don't expect them to be properly built considering the conditions, lets hope they are however.

~Tenth

top topics

join