It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FYI- You cannot link to the official Olympics Website, unless you are going to be nice!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Free Speech Blog

FYI ATS Friends and Mods,

Apparently it is against regulations to link to the official site IF you have anything bad to say!!
haha this is crazy (saying that with the utmost repsect, mr olympic commitee lol
)..
So, if you want to talk about the Olympics, you can say whatever you want, however, don't link to the official website..

I'm not sure what the consequences are other than I bet they would send an email or whatever to the site owners asking that the post/blog/whatever be removed for violating the regulations!

Here is a link to the regulations, link

a. Links to the Site. You may create your own link to the Site, provided that your link is in a text-only format. You may not use any link to the Site as a method of creating an unauthorised association between an organisation, business, goods or services and London 2012, and agree that no such link shall portray us or any other official London 2012 organisations (or our or their activities, products or services) in a false, misleading, derogatory or otherwise objectionable manner. The use of our logo or any other Olympic or London 2012 Mark(s) as a link to the Site is not permitted. View our guidelines on Use of the Games' Marks.

Thoughts?!

Eta- these regulations don't supercede freedom of speech... So I think all the threads regarding potential false flags, the fiasco that the security at the games is, etc etc don't apply.. And I didn't notice that anyone had linked to the official websites, however, I have seen the use of the logo many times here in different threads, which may be a violation of the 'rules'...

edit on 7/16/2012 by Nspekta because: eta

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I bet this thread is deleted. ATS is just the type of pro-establishment conspiracy website that would adhere to such a stupid law.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Why wouldn't they have such a requirement? I suspect most businesses websites have such a requirement. Would Walmart let your anti-Walmart website link to it? Of course not. Would ATS allow you to link your website, about how you hate ATS? Nope. Looks like standard T&C to me.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by usernameconspiracy
Why wouldn't they have such a requirement? I suspect most businesses websites have such a requirement. Would Walmart let your anti-Walmart website link to it? Of course not. Would ATS allow you to link your website, about how you hate ATS? Nope. Looks like standard T&C to me.

If I were to make a site rubbishing ATS, and there are many out there, then yes, ATS would allow it. Yes, Walmart allows it.

99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of websites on the internet do not flinch if you link to them, no matter what you say about them.

What the Olympics people are trying to do is unreasonable and ridiculous. If it was common practice then all websites would be suing each other non stop

in fact a quick look on google of '"london2012.com" abovetopsecret' shows that the ATS website has several links to the olympics website, accompanied by criticism

Do you agree that the Olympics people should sue ATS. Is that their right?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I really don't think their demands have any legal basis in the first place. Okay, if someone registers and account on their site, the visitor might be bound by whatever Terms of Service. Those terms are limited to that site only, and are non-applicable to any other, unless there's been a specific legal ruling. They're certainly not applicable to sites hosted outside the jurisdiction of UK law.

In any case, they can f*ck right off as far as my own sites are concerned, because mine are hosted in Germany, and I can link to whatever I want.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
When Chicago was in the running for hosting the Olympics, the design team came up with a sweet logo.... it was in the form of a torch, the top part orangey and representing the skyline, and the bottom part blue and representing the lake. Mind you, this was just for a presentation... The Olympic Committee came back and told the team they couldn't use the torch image, because it was property of the Olympics. Say huh? So they ended up changing it to a star, which was nice, but didn't have the same impact. As we all know, Chicago didn't even get the bid, so why all the fuss for a proposal? Shifty stuff goin on in that committee!

I happened to find a never worn sweatshirt at the thrift store... now a collector's item
. "My city threw a bunch of money at the Olympics bid and all I got was this lousy sweatshirt!"

Images linked for reference:

top topics

join