It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official: US ship fires on boat off Dubai, 1 dead

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by yuppa

50 cal will ricochet off water. It is common to see when the coast guard fires at drug boats.

Watch this video at about 1:30 to see a significant amount of ricochets. You hear the gun fire, see the splashes of bullets, and then a moment later see the secondary splashes from the ricochets.

Then where is the video of the indian boat "incident"
if they have nothing to hide .. it could show that the US was not at fault here
and the warning shots were fired before

all ships have video camera onboard or people filming for video proof if any incident happen
they will obviously never release that video
for national security reasons .. wonder why

edit on 7/17/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

Originally posted by WorkingClassMan
Why is it Americans always go on the defensive instead of looking at facts and answering questions.
edit on 17-7-2012 by WorkingClassMan because: (no reason given)

Because at 530am, stuck in a crappy hotel far from home, with a room mate I met a week ago, who left his alarm blaring since 445am, I'm not at my best.

We are not so different then, I recommend killing it with fire.

Your choice as to alarm clock or room mate.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi

Originally posted by yourmaker
I just want to say how stupid I think the Navy is, like every human being on the planet is saavy with Maritime law or even the fact that a Navy exists with state-of-the-art weapons. Not everyone is going to understand what it will mean to get close to a warship without a warning.

What part of warned multiple times in multiple ways, did you miss?

Turns out they weren't warned at all

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
For what it's worth:

www.navy.mil...

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

Awesome, thanks!

And the link inside your link This one is a little bigger font and easier to read.

So they weren't fired upon until inside 100 yards of the ship, and MANY warnings were issued.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Or we can believe one of the versions of this guy's story:

Mr Muniraj, who was shot on his right leg, said the US navy started firing at them after their boat crossed the USNS Rappahannock and was heading towards the shore.

"We saw the boat from far," said Mr Muniraj, "When we came close, we slowed down to let them pass to avoid any accidents.

Once we crossed them from behind, they started firing at us,"
he said.

www.thenational.ae...

Fisherman Muthu Muniraj, 28, speaking to Reuters news agency from hospital in Dubai, said they had not received any warnings from the US refuelling ship.

"We had no warning at all from the ship, we were speeding up to try and go around them and then suddenly we got fired at," he said.

www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 18-7-2012 by _Del_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Del_
For what it's worth:

www.navy.mil...

I don't see how you can argue with that.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by _Del_

Yes, yes, they were speeding up, and slowing down, so that they could hurry up and pass the ship, and/or slow down and let it pass by, all the while NOT getting multiple signals warning them away from the ship.

They are lucky any of them survived. Hell, even a Cruise Ship in hostile waters might have fired upon them in this incidence, LOL!

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

OOps my bad. The angle has to be like firing directly into the water to cause a 50 cal to break apart. Yes in those vids the bullets bounce a bit but if we could recover them you would see serious deformation. Hitting water at high speed is like hitting a wall remember? Im responding to you because the other guy aint worth the effort for biase reasons. I have to ask though.. if they were richochets...woudnt they have hit the water a split second later? Those had some hang time. And also dont a machine gun that fast ROLL when it fires? One out of so many bullets will fly off in a curve or arc.

edit on 18-7-2012 by yuppa because: thought of a question.

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

They did have some hang time. They might have also been fragments of bullets. It is possible they could both break apart and pieces ricochet.

Now that we have more information on when the fired on the boat, I don't think it was ricochets anyway. If the boat was within 90 yards of the ship, then they had pretty clear shots, and a good angle on the target. I don't think they would have fired warning shots that close, they were probably firing right at the boat. And apparently they fired on two separate occasions.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
wiki.answers.com...

How far can a sniper rifle shoot?.50 Cal rifle
This qusetion is hard to answer but the average sniper rifle in the .300-.308 caliber can shoot any where from 100 yards to about 800 yards. A .50 caliber can be effective at about 2 and 1/2

The longest kill recorded in the Vietnam War was at a range well over a mile; a Marine Corps sniper armed with an M2 .50-caliber machinegun (they'll fire singles if you use one thumb on the trigger) made the shot.
*The longest confirmed recorded kill by a military sniper is 2430m (about 1.5 miles), set during Operation Anaconda (Afghanistan, 2002) by a Canadian soldier, Rob Furlong. The previous record was indeed set in Vietnam, 1962, by Carlos Hathcock at a distance of 4576m (about 2.6 miles).

40km shot does not seem possible

.338 Lapua Magnum
The effective range of this cartridge is over 1 mile (1609 meters) in the right shooting conditions as has been demonstrated in recent conflicts with confirmed kills in excess of 2000 meters. Realistically, 1500 meters is within the range of a trained sniper.

Hathcock generally used the standard sniper rifle: the Winchester Model 70 .30-06 caliber rifle with the standard 8-power Unertl scope.
Hathcock is a personal favorite of mine.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join