It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official: US ship fires on boat off Dubai, 1 dead

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by murch

What happens when it actually is an Iranian vessel that gets shot at without due process of identification/threat assessment.

Why are you assuming there wasn't the appropriate due process and threat assessment? The article says it was perceived to be a threat.

As for Iran, I'm against the looming invasion there, but let's not pretend the US Navy is going to fear Iranian reprisals in any way. If this were an Iranian boat, the outcome would have been the same. The US is not worried about escalating a war with Iran, they pose very little threat to us.

As for Dubai, they love us, this won't taint the relationships one bit. They love US money, and they don't care who we sink.

you seem like you know your country and its intent? everything the media tells tells you is a complete lie. nobody truly knows why there is even heat going on in the middle east.. only what major media outlets are told to tell you.

the fact that america opened fire on a boat is enough to tell me about their intent. if they are not a threat or a big deal to you and your all pwoerful country.. why did they open fire? think before you start typing sh1t.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by followtheevidence
According to THIS article, "the boat appeared to be a civilian vessel".

How on EARTH was a civilian vessel "mistaken as a threat"

edit on 16-7-2012 by followtheevidence because: (no reason given)

Possibly because civilian weapons have been used for sabotage for a long time. The US DID give multiple warnings in several languages before opening fire.

I'm not saying it's right, but in this case they didn't just go gung-ho, they followed procedures.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

Originally posted by followtheevidence
According to THIS article, "the boat appeared to be a civilian vessel".

How on EARTH was a civilian vessel "mistaken as a threat"

edit on 16-7-2012 by followtheevidence because: (no reason given)

Possibly because civilian weapons have been used for sabotage for a long time. The US DID give multiple warnings in several languages before opening fire.

I'm not saying it's right, but in this case they didn't just go gung-ho, they followed procedures.

Don't need another USS Cole.

Being humanly conditioned to accept a civilian as non-threatening - - - doesn't seem to work well in this war on terrorism.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by LoveisanArt

you seem like you know your country and its intent? everything the media tells tells you is a complete lie. nobody truly knows why there is even heat going on in the middle east.. only what major media outlets are told to tell you.

the fact that america opened fire on a boat is enough to tell me about their intent. if they are not a threat or a big deal to you and your all pwoerful country.. why did they open fire? think before you start typing sh1t.

Think before I start typing? Obviously you have forgotten about all my other posts you have ever read. Maybe you should take a second to think. I don't support our involvement in the Middle East whatsoever. I do know my country's intention, and it is profit, and it is disgusting. I don't think Iran offers any considerable threat to the continental US, and I don't think Israel needs our protection.

BUT, none of that changes the facts of today's encounter. A very high-powered, and large boat was approaching a military vessel at high speed, and ignoring the warnings, and so they got shot. That is precisely what should have happened.

Whether or not the US ship needed to be there in the first place is an argument for another thread. It is there, lawfully, and it did what it had to do today.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I believe that the incident involving the USS Cole had the common factor of a small boat rapidly approaching. There were 17 killed and 39 injured in that attack. After that as others have pointed out, the ROE was changed.

As pointed out, the small craft did not take heed of the warnings.

It is sad that one person lost his life in this incident, but I can see where it could have been a lot worse and started something that would have taken more lives.

I have no problem with our sailors protecting their lives and our ships.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
It would be cheaper to get some really big bumpers on those ships, The weapons and things are really expensive. Maybe just back the ship up a few thousand miles. That would save many lives and stop the potential damage.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
When a ship enter the 200m buffer zone of the US warship
do it get a warning ? that it will be shot if they dont turn
there is so many different language in that area
if they cant communicate their warning properly its not the small boat fault
and we know how the US respect to people who enter inside their bubble
they shot first and ask questions later

this wasnt in the US water
the war ship is the only one at fault here
it should be in the ocean far from any civilian boat not near the coast
there is so many people fishing in that gulf .. its been their lifes for hundred of yrs
until massive metal monster came to terrorise their shores

Again the US has showed one thing
arrogancy and violence a big ship that felt treatened by a small fishing boat
the US get really scared fast .. because they know they are not welcome in that area
people know they are there for war and not for peace and civilian protection

and you know what Yoda said about Fear
it explain what happened to the small boat

Fears is the path to the darkside Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering

US = Paranoya
or it just like using its big guns sometimes on innocent (nothing new here)
they are getting bored by all the false drills happening each weeks
because of those drills .. people on board are getting more motivated now to have some action

edit on 7/16/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
This story should polarize our media sources enough to make for interesting reading.

The Examiner link below is spinning this anti military complex (interesting choice of file footage they chose for the graphic? don't tell me they snapped that out riding around on their scooter)

www.examiner.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Again the US has showed one thing
arrogancy and violence a big ship that felt treatened by a small fishing boat
the US get really scared fast .. because they know they are not welcome in that area
people know they are there for war and not for peace and civilian protection

In the air, and in the water, the bigger ship always has the right of way. It is harder to maneuver, hard to stop, hard to get going again, etc. If a small ship or boat is approaching a bigger ship or boat, the small one needs to change course. This is common maritime convention, not a military thing.

As for the language barriers, these fisherman are more than familiar with military craft in the Persian Gulf, and pretty much everyone on the planet knows that you don't approach a warship.

The warnings are by radio, and also by light signals. I'm pretty confident they've taken the language barriers into account, they didn't just arrive in the Persian Gulf yesterday you know.

And once again, these were not poor fisherman from Somalia. This was a very high-end boat, and Bahrain has a wonderful education system.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Again like in the other thread, this was in international waters. Any country's navy that is under threat by another vessel can do whatever it takes to remove that threat. The USN ship followed procedure, and besides the ship in question is a logistical ship, not a war ship.

Haters gonna hate.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by pwndnewb
I believe that the incident involving the USS Cole had the common factor of a small boat rapidly approaching. There were 17 killed and 39 injured in that attack. After that as others have pointed out, the ROE was changed.

As pointed out, the small craft did not take heed of the warnings.

It is sad that one person lost his life in this incident, but I can see where it could have been a lot worse and started something that would have taken more lives.

I have no problem with our sailors protecting their lives and our ships.

I totally agree, its sad. Loss of life is not something to take lightly.

After this incident maybe foreign boaters will understand the severity when approaching a US Vessel. Its a no brainer really.

Glad our men went by the book.... As we DO have fine men and women in the service.

Did any reporting discuss WHY they approached the US Vessel? Did they have weapons on board?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I see, it was 3 suicide bombers in one fast boat. Maybe the other two were hostages. Too bad details are always released years later.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by murch
www.ajc.com...

The official gave no further details, but it appears the boat could have been mistaken as a threat in Gulf waters not far from Iran's maritime boundaries.

So I guess this indicates the US willingness to initiate armed conflict with Iran. Not much detail given due to the nature of incident (god forbid that Dubai gets offended) but reading between the lines it looks like the US forces fired without confirming identity of vessel or confirming that it was a threat.

This could only come about with authorisation of a senior commander who must be under command to neutralise any perceived threat within the area of operations.

What happens when it actually is an Iranian vessel that gets shot at without due process of identification/threat assessment.

Clear move to try and escalate conflict.

Shoot first, ask questions later, and then much later say Whoops !

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clisen33
reply to post by Ben81

Again like in the other thread, this was in international waters. Any country's navy that is under threat by another vessel can do whatever it takes to remove that threat. The USN ship followed procedure, and besides the ship in question is a logistical ship, not a war ship.

Haters gonna hate.

How can you be sure the ship has entered the 200m buffer zone
did you see the radar ?

or you just blindly trust the official version
did you NOT learn 9/11 lessons ?
to never ever trust any official version until we have the real facts
there is a fews hole in the story so im carefull not to blindly accept one side of the story
saying the ship was inside the buffer zone is the perfect cover up reason
so people understand they didnt had any choice to shot it down

any boats that had travelled in those waters know not to mess with the big ships
ir would be suicidal .. a real threat would implicate many boats at once
so again .. official story is full of hole
like the turkish jet story and the asassination plot on the saudi ambassador
and so many other official stories

Truth Haters always shy to ask the good questions .. typical

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

The ship is a logistical craft with minimal defense weapons, which is probably only small arms and a heavy machine gun. The USN wouldnot do such a stupid move given the tension in the region, and make itself look bad for justified reason. You automatically assumed thr USN ship was hell bent on randomnly taking out a civilian vessel.

No logic in that at all.
edit on 16-7-2012 by Clisen33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clisen33
reply to post by Ben81

The ship is a logistical craft with minimal defense weapons, which is probably only small arms and a heavy machine gun. The USN wouldnot do such a stupid move given the tension in the region, and make itself look bad for justified reason. You automatically assumed thr USN ship was hell bent on randomnly taking out a civilian vessel.

No logic in that at all.
edit on 16-7-2012 by Clisen33 because: (no reason given)

Your logic once again blindly accept the official version
you slam the door at any other theories then what it was said

The logistical craft is still a military vessel with big machine guns

Next they will say .. that the small boat was in fact a suicide boat and it was launched by Iran

This will then open the door for another cover up and possibly a false flag on the USS Enterprise
that it was succesfully destroyed by a suicide boat with big explosive war heads

and there you go .. time to attack Iran now

Dangerous Game: 'US almost daring Tehran to Strike First'

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Im accepting the fact that the USN ship followed peocedure before engaging the vessel. If i was near a large militaryvessel fishing or cruising in a hostile area, id get the hell away before getting warning shots/broadcasts. Ever heard of occams razor?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Why is the Navy even talking to the press? It is a story without details. I could be one bomber killed and 3 Americans that got wounded, or any other combination. Most likely, just some guy fell asleep at the helm.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

a real threat would implicate many boats at once

Have you read about the USS Cole?

It was a small, wooden boat. A single boat, laden with 400 to 700 lbs of explosives in a shape charge to cause maximum damage.

A small, singular boat, can still be a very big threat!

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

You know what else can be a threat? A giant warship manned by people who think everyone is a threat/is out to get them.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join