It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hitler baby poster OK now that Jewish group sees show slams hatred

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

MONTREAL - It took a while, but one of Canada's most prominent Jewish groups finally saw the humour behind the Hitler baby poster at the Just For Laughs Festival.

B'nai Brith Canada initially scolded the international comedy festival, saying the image of the wide-eyed baby with the black square moustache rekindled dark memories for many of its members, including survivors of the Nazi Holocaust in which six million Jews were murdered.

The group said in a letter it wanted the poster for the show "Le prenom," which translates as "The First Name," pulled. Just For Laughs refused and invited B'nai Brith members to a performance.

And I think this is great, because dialogue is best. We all live together in society, so I actually think if I do or say
something that might offend you, maybe I should just refrain and find another way to express myself, just for the sake of Peace.

"We're very much relieved by the fact that the show is essentially a condemnation of hatred, it's a condemnation of racism," B'nai Brith spokesman Steven Slimovitch said Thursday.

By not acting this way, it's like me saying : " You"re offended ?! Who cares ? You're not suppose to be ! and I'll keep on repeating the insult because we have free speech. "

BUT, why other groups are not consulted before coming out with sensitive subjects ?
Did they consult and asked the "Muslims" before they did the Muhammad caricature ?
Did they care if it was offensive to them ?

In my opinion, this type of double-standard should be unacceptable.

LINK

edit on 16-7-2012 by samsamm9 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-7-2012 by samsamm9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by samsamm9

I think they handled it pretty well. Something like this is always better than hiding behind free speech. Was it specifically supposed to be a Hitler baby or could it have been a charlie Chaplin reference?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DavidWillts
reply to post by samsamm9

I think they handled it pretty well. Something like this is always better than hiding behind free speech. Was it specifically supposed to be a Hitler baby or could it have been a charlie Chaplin reference?

Le prenom” is a Quebec adaptation of a play originally produced in France. It “revolves around the unfortunate choice of a name for a baby by a first-time father,” reports City TV.

Andy Nulman, Just For Laughs Festival President, not only approved the poster, but also explains that Jews have been satirizing Hitler for years.

"We understand it's a striking and controversial image but that's why we chose it, to be striking and controversial and bring attention to a very, very popular play," Nulman, who is Jewish himself, began.

"The fact of being able to laugh at one's oppressor empowered the Jews… This basically is more of the same. It comes from a very, very strong tradition in history," Nulman says in regards to Mel Brooks making “The Producers” and Jews spoofing Hitler during the Holocaust renaming him Horowitz.

The controversial poster remains up in Montreal.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Hey Springer, not this Hitler thread also
I hope

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by samsamm9
Hey Springer, not this Hitler thread also
I hope

ahah

that picture would have been banned on ATS (sarcastic jk)
here in Montreal we know how to be borderline sometimes

at least the baby didnt show anykind of disrespect taste
only the little mustache
edit on 7/17/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join