It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deputies shoot, kill man after knocking on wrong door

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by circuitsports

This society is sooo ready to embrace guns as some fuzzy little liberator of minds and "sweet little momentos of justice and the american way.." they are for one thing (handguns anyway..) ...killin' people. The same way the homosexual lobby has hijacked a good dem party, the NRA has hijacked the GOP.. Christians like me can no longer stand for either one of these, because Christ would not. ..

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

...the folks are just begging to violate everyone's right, and thinking they have a right to know everyone's secrets, while at the same time criticizing the cops?

It is going to get worse, because the populace is increasingly more helpless with increasing victim mentality.

And no one gets told to shaddup and mind their own business. The people are being encouraged to mind everyone else's business. The police are not discouraging anyone from wanting to make it a police state, nor are the politicians or media.

After over a half century living in the US I left it. I didn't just wise-up about what was happening, I became increasingly disgusted with all those who wish to keep making it worse. They seem to encompass the huge majority. Each passing day I become convinced I did the right thing and have no regrets whatsoever about leaving.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Sometimes I wonder if these type of raids are on purpose to incur unseen psychological damage to us as a collective. It sure makes you think twice about some things. This opens up a lot of fronts, all the time.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ScatterBrain
reply to post by xyankee

They did find drugs in the victims apartment,

Were they illegal drugs?
They could have said on a report that they found drugs and what they really found was a prescription high blood pressure medicine and people assume it is an illegal drug. A lie by omission is still a lie.

link   

edit on 16-7-2012 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

link   

edit on 16-7-2012 by VforVendettea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   

"well if you point a gun at a police officer, your going to get shot"

Unless you're rich.

It depends on what your house looks like and what kind of car you're driving.

These factors both contribute to an officers judgement on when to open fire when in danger.

They were already scared before they knocked because they were looking for a potentially armed suspect, they got even more scared when they knew they were not identifying themselves, and based off the mans dwellings they were confident if they opened fire any causality resulting would quickly and most likely be defended by the run of the mill attorney with minimal opposition.

We all know money wins court cases and so do the cops.

But I digress, I just wanted to point out that if they were knocking on a rich mans house I doubt the quoted statement would apply to the rich...as usual.

I mean rich as in 1 million USD annual income.

I read a lot on this forum about people defending the rich tax cuts as if it were their taxes being raised only to read days later about said person seeing UFOs, Bigfoot, or a Woolly Mammoth outside their trailer.

I digress again.

Yes I draw loose conclusions based on dwellings, habits, wording, and details also. Really that's not surprising is it? It's rather natural and ingrained/taught into our culture at this moment of time.

I digress again.

In closing I'd just ask you all to remember all the rich folk that have pointed guns at officers and lived to laugh about it. I'm not even going to touch the subject of poor training/self control/ tactics, bb guns, paintball guns, wooden guns, and nerf guns.

The quoted statement above radiates biased one track mind type of rational that is all too prevelant in the law enforcement community today.

I'll make my leave now to take a moment and reflect on that.

Thoughts and prayer go out to the mans family.

Thanks for reading.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Just imagine what is going to happen after the Arms Trade Treaty Passes. Its not going to be good for either side.

I question the fact that he pointed the firearm at LE. You know the whole code of (dis)honor thing. CYA is what they specialize in.

I agree that answering a door with a gun is not the smartest thing to do. You should know what is out there before you react.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by butcherguy

Therein lies the problem. We have to rely on the word of the killers, and the legal system sees the word of a cop as almost infallible, so there will not be any repercussions.

None of us know what happened, and we do know the wrong guy is dead.

There are too many cops, arresting people for too many stupid things, and they have far too much authority. We can all agree on that I think. My devil's advocate argument was just that we are all responsible for our own safety, and this guy obviously didn't do a very good job in that respect. If he had handled it differently, he would probably still be alive.

Or at least a few dead cops hopefully. The police today are far to out of control so just remember, if this happens to you and you have to shoot at a cop shoot for the head!

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
At 1:30am and you, (any innocent man/woman), answer the door with a gun in your hand,you shoot the first S.O.B. that passes the threshold. If it is a mistake it is his. We are quick to call anyone in uniform a hero, the victim in this case, if true, is a hero. Stand and protect, for no one else will. If you are the Law Enforcement get your facts right. It is your responsibility as Law Enforcement and your freedom and career in the line. You screw the pooch and good people die.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Has anyone written a letter or email to the sherif exclaiming the dissatisfaction in the way this whole thing was handled and what we the people expect!! I have.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Lake County Sheriff's Office deputies shot and killed a man they assumed was an attempted murder suspect on Sunday, but they now know they shot the wrong man.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Imagine if you will being the children or wife witnessing all this happening in a frantic and hysterical state of mind, while these two same cops are trying to calm you down after they dusted your husband or father. That image would be imprinted on your mind the rest of your days the faces of those two cops.

No matter what scenario would have taken place. The bottom line is, they shouldn't have been there in the first place! The cops instigated the whole thing.
edit on 16-7-2012 by sean because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by xyankee

That's total BS. This crap is getting out of hand. I am so sick and tired of Piggies always offering up an excuse for what they do. They are never wrong about anything.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by HawkeyeNation
*yawn* love these cop bashing orgie parties on ATS *yawn*

Cop bashing orgy parties?

Really? I'm curious, would you consider a thread that's discussing the Zimmerman/Martin issue to be a murderer bashing thread? Or what about a thread discussing a murderer such as Ted Bundy, Jeffry Dahmer, or Charles Manson? Would those be considered "bashing orgy parties"?

So i take it that you don't value you liberty or your life? I also take it that you are one of the public education systems wonderful graduates that believed the indoctrination you received from the Dept of Education.

There is no cop bashing going on here. The cops murdered an innocent person because they were too damn stupid to get an address correct, are trying to blame the victim, and now a family is left without a son, brother, or father. People on this thread are just pointing out how miserably the cops screwed up and the fact that they committed murder. This man was not a suspect in anything what so ever, he was a man answering the door with a firearm for his protection and was killed by the ass hats that are supposed to secure his rights and liberties.

Its people such as yourself that think the cops can do no wrong that are largely responsible for the state of our nation. The cops, judges, politicians, and all public servants work for "We The People" and we have a right and a duty to criticize their actions since we are their bosses.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by CrikeyMagnet

Edit: Not meaning to be unsympathetic to the guy who was shot...though it might have turned out different if he didn't answer the door with a gun in his hand. The ones of you who are still alive should consider exactly this story when someone knocks on your door at 1:30 in the morning, or we'll probably read about you here too.

I do consider it, and others like it. I never, EVER, answer my door at 01:30 unless whoever is on the other side has called ahead to confirm their arrival.

Then I tell them they'd best wait for daylight.

kids, let this be a lesson - just don't go to the door. Instead, take up a defensive position well away from the door, and wait for it to get kicked open - then drop anything and every thing that comes through it until you're out of ammo, If you haven't the respect to act civilized, you've no right to expect me to. If you haven't the respect to identify yourself, then expect to get shot. If you care so little for human life as to "misidentify" you target, expect that target not to much care if YOU live or die through it.

If you can't come to my door during civilized hours, knock like a gentleman, and announce who you are, don't expect to survive the adventure. I'm defending my self, my family, and my home. You, on the other hand, are what is known as "an unknown assailant". People who sneak around my house after hours and refuse to identify themselves are invariably up to no good, badge or not, and will be dealt with accordingly.

Yeah, you may some day read about me here, too.

My carcass will not be the only one fit for worm food when you do. I'll have company on my journey to hell.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
this is shameful to all americans, not just the police, a man is dead. i am sure the media attention will be all about the poor officers involved. making sure they get the proper counseling
having three family members in law enforcement ,two being borderline retarded high school bullies and the other a good guy who has been thoroughly brainwashed over the last four years, i feel as though i have fair understanding of the mentality which is if your a cop everyone else is a criminal

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleBlackEagle
because if it is someone wanting to do you harm, the gun sitting on the night stand will be the last thing you think of before you die.

If they don't respond to the verbal challenge, then feel free to start the protection thing. Otherwise the last thing you think before you die is of how you could have avoided killing someone at your front door for waking you up. If it was seriously someone who wanted to come into your house, don't you think they'd have a better chance of doing that if you stayed asleep? I don't know about you... but I don't wake up people I intend to sneak up on.

Hell with a verbal challenge. That just gives away your position to miscreants.

On the positive side, I'm glad you are incapable of thinking like home invasion robbers. It shows you to be a man of honor. Not overly suited to defense, but honorable all the same.

Why make all the noise of kicking a door in when you can just have some unsuspecting wally just answer and open it for you?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
The reporter in the video said, the deputies didn't identify themselves for safety reasons. Huh?? You have got to be kidding me!!! These cops are seriously ignorant beyond belief. Wow I just cannot believe that statement. With that said they might as well not wear a uniform or badge at all!
edit on 16-7-2012 by sean because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

reply to post by getreadyalready

Yes. Exactly.

As far as police "getting away with this", they pretty much have to. They MUST have the ability to fire if someone's life is in danger. I don't remember if there was mention of how many officers were at the door... but every one of them was in danger as a result of a pointed firearm. As far as I'm concerned, their reaction needed to be "stop this guy from shooting".

Or maybe - and I know this is a radical idea in this day and age - but maybe it would be a better idea not to PUT anyone's life in danger in the first place? You know, do "crazy" stuff like making sure you're at the right house, or approaching in a civilized manner, maybe announcing who you are and allowing for ID?

Nah. It's just ONE citizen. If you take him out for grins and giggles, there will still be more of 'em left to pay your salary.

You don't really need that one, anyhow, do you?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join