It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deputies shoot, kill man after knocking on wrong door

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
For what it's worth I did sent a protest letter to my State Rep.
He's actually a good guy and has tried to do right by his contituants.
Can't say as much for the rest of them considering that they shelved a law that would have made it harder to get those popular prescription drugs, and Florida is STILL the Prescription Drug trading capital of the Nation.

There is totally no reason for all this other than legislative apathy.

This sort of behavior by the police never used to happen. Why now?

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
The sad thing is I can imagine myself being shot for doing something like that. I saw my family be the victims of 3 failed home invasions growing up. Once they disguised themselves as police at the front door.

I would not allow anyone in my home without first identifying them as police. a little badge and a big gun aren't enough for me.

edit on 16-7-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
*yawn* love these cop bashing orgie parties on ATS *yawn*

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Even if they shouted Police, he has no reason to expect an armed contingency of the local mafia banging on his door. I would have answered in the same way, and they would have shot me, because they had the wrong house...

You would answer the door to the police, who as far as I am aware are always armed, with a gun in your hand?

edit on 16-7-2012 by Peruvianmonk because: Layout

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I'm not the.least bit surprised about this. Being from Lake County FL originally I am well aware of the paramilitary, police state mentality the law enforcement there has. Florida in general is a police state but Lake, Orange, and Marion counties are the worst 3 in the state.

"It's just a bizarre set of circumstances. The bottom line is, you point a gun at a deputy sheriff or police office, you're going to get shot," Herrell said.

There were no "bizarre set of circumstances" surrounding this, the only thing bizarre is how Tyranny Enforcement Officers can bang on your door in the middle of the night, fail to identify themselves, then when the resident opens the door armed they are murdered and the POS LEO's can actually try to justify the murder with a statement such as that.

Lt. Herrell is an ass anyway IMHO. I used to live 2 houses down from him and had several verbal confrontations with him and he was always very arrogant.

The fact that a person cannot exercise their 2nd amendment right without being gunned down in their own home speaks volumes about the sate of things in this country and how TPTB look upon us. I would be willing to bet anything that these officers will end up receiving a lengthy paid vacation will this is investigated and the end result will be that they did nothing wrong.

Personally I say its getting closer and closer everyday for vigilante justice. We cannot continue to depend on a broken system to secure our rights and provide justice against its own. If we do then we might as well put the chains and shackles on ourselves and accept the oppression that TPTB have in store for us.

The people of Lake County should demand that these murderous tyrants receive the maximum sentence for their crime.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
What ever happened to surrounding the building and announcing yourself and demand everyone inside to come out. That would keep stuff like this from happening and save the county lots of money.
I hope his family sues the county for 5million+ to make sure they change their policy on how they handle knocking on someones door that late at night not knowing if its the right home or not.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by HawkeyeNation

honestly I know plenty of cops. My best friend....scratch that .....my brother is a cop. They always admit the flaws with the system. They never say "oh stop complaining"....at least the ones who aren't dumbasses that became cops so as to pull over that one guy that picked on them in grade school don't.

If you don't want to admit that there is a GROWING problem then that's fine....pick your hole and fill it with your head. The rest of us want to live in peace in our communities like before the police state hard on our states have been given from Washing-tom DC.

There is a growing problem. The reason we CAN have these orgies as you put it is because there is a HUGE problem festering. If not we would be arguing over tickets and inconveniences. NOT MURDER and organized crime.

Like the police are exempt from being criminals.....you ever heard of NYC circa 1970......Yeah....nothing there huh. Not like my home cities police Dept. aren't under investigation by the FBI (yonkers PD ,N.Y.)....or other countless cities across the US...

No, there is nothing there....move on.
yawn.....yes yawn....hows that hole? your head comfy down there?

edit on 16-7-2012 by BIHOTZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by kman420
Here in Canada, we just ask whos knocking, if they dont answer, you dont open. Then you just say your calling the cops, most people will go away. If they dont, you just call the cops, and they will be there in 5 minutes.

Live by the gun, Die by the gun. That isnt a theory, its a fact.

Answer a door with a gun in your hand expect to use it or be shot.

This happnes once very few years in Canada, if that. Still think your guns protect you? And from who??

By owning a gun, how much higher does it raise your life expectancy? And if all your neighbors have guns, including the crackhead down the street, does that make you safer?? Do your kids feel safe?? Ours do.

Your post may as well have said...Here in Canada we live in denial and think we are safer when we don't have a means to protect ourselves, because then we think that people with ill intent don't have the means to assault us....

The crackhead down the street can have a gun ANYWHERE regardless of whether there is a law against it. A person who is going to break the law won't care about breaking a law saying they can't have a gun...

Where do you ostriches come from????

Jaden...

Actually I guess you answered my last question in your post, you ostriches (head in sand pun in case you don't get it :@@
come from Canada...

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Originally posted by phroziac
Wheres the riot? Heads should roll. Guess he wasnt black.
Id answer with a 45 behind my back

I have a feeling you intended this to be an offensive or derogatory comment, but instead it really shows the apathy of white people doesn't it?

I mean, you cant really criticize black people in this way without showing that perhaps they have a greater sense of justice and Human rights than the average white person.

You're right, there should be massive anger amongst the community, but I guess they're not black, and they don't give a rats ass about their neighbor being gunned down by cops?
Thank you for your response, Detached. The OP had nothing to do with being black, and yet this individual injected race into this discussion. I'm a black guy, and I'll stand by any man doing what's right for all Americans. And so will most of us.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The cops went in and shot the wrong guy. The rest of the story is suspect. He may have never even owned a gun. The only error here was that the cops got some the address wrong. The rest is subjective.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
"Point a gun at a cop and you're gonna get shot". Even if we didn't do our homework, went to the wrong place, kicked in the wrong door and killed an innocent man, we are still going to act like we did nothing wrong. No apology, no "We're sorry this happened" Just bad asses through and through. I saw a comment about the lack of outrage on the part of his neighbors. Where is ours ATS? We set here, tapping away, venting our anger at a police state, yet that's all we do. How many are we? Anybody know? I checked. 264,000!!! Out of that almost 146,000 actually post. Enough to flood a police email with our comments? Make things like this go viral so they have to pay attention and do something?

Just a little something to think about.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
In reply to the OP, I'm rather stunned at this and that statement by Police. If I point a gun at cops I should expect to be shot? Well.... Fair enough...and if they bang on my door without saying Police loud enough for half the street to hear it, they can expect to be mistaken as a burglar and quite possible shot as well. No nastiness there...just a statement of fact.

Heck...If I have BANG BANG BANG on my front door after midnight, I'm absolutely crossing the house with a gun in my hand nd just behind my thigh from open view when...or if...I open the door.

I didn't realize responding to that kind of intrusion may end with my own city authorities shooting me to death in my own home, over total mistaken identities. Should the cops be fired?? Hell.. I don't know.. Is training THAT bad? Maybe some Brass and training staff need canned first. Soldiers are only as good as their training and commanders...maybe it's time we look beyond the street cops who follow orders and focus on the Command staff that issue them in Police Departments.
edit on 16-7-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

"It's just a bizarre set of circumstances. The bottom line is, you point a gun at a deputy sheriff or police office, you're going to get shot," Herrell said.

What is bizarre is that nobody outside the door got shot.

There should be a federal law requiring police to identify themselves when knocking on any door.

"No-Knock Warrants" should only be signed by a judge when life is at stake, as in a hostage situation,
and that should be federal law as well.

This would protect the police as well as the public. There have been too many instances where
police have shown up to the wrong address (or some such similar mistake was made) and innocent
people (including officers) were killed.

If you knock on my door in the early am--while in plain clothes, brandishing a gun, and not identifying
yourself as a police officer--I am going to take charge of that situation and it is quite likely that
you will die unless you disarm yourself IMMEDIATELY...it would go like this...

"DROP YOUR WEAPON!"

*officer hesitates*

*officer dies*

edit on 16-7-2012 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
If the cops are so stupid that they can't even get an address correct and go to the right residence then what in the hell are they doing carrying guns and being cops anyway?!

Their implied immunity needs to be removed immediately and the deputies that did this should be hanged on the city square in Tavares for all to see. Actually Herrell should swing with the deputy just for being idiot enough to try and blame the victim

I hope Mr. Scot has a brother or father that will hunt down the bastard(s) that did this and make examples of them. Only then will justice be served. I often find myself to be disgusted when I think that I gave 16 years of my life serving this nation for what, so those whom are sworn to protect and serve the citizens can murder them in cold blood? For those of you currently serving in our armed forces, this is what you are serving, an empirical self serving government that sees anyone whom exercises their rights as either criminals, terrorists, or extremists.

I never thought I would agree with the Reverend Wright but for once I do....Goddamn America!

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
It's going to be loads of fun when these dumbasses get the wrong address with a drone missile in the not so distant future.

I wonder if the victims death certificate will list "state sanctioned bureaucratic incompetence" as the cause of death?

What happen to him can happen to any one of us.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
It's going to be loads of fun when these dumbasses get the wrong address with a drone missile in the not so distant future.

I wonder if the victims death certificate will list "state sanctioned bureaucratic incompetence" as the cause of death?

What happen to him can happen to any one of us.

Yep.

And that is when we'll have to take all their toys away from them. Eventually some dumb shyte like this is going to happen to the wrong folks, and they are going to mount a war, and with the country being a tinderbox at the moment, once the chaos starts, it will likely pick up support and spread, and if the oathkeepers and true patriots and good guys in the military and law enforcement stand up with their family, friends, and neighbors, then the government will see all its fancy toys used against it.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I think there are too many of us living in too close of quarters. Its hot. We're frustrated. Everything is a threat, we're barely getting by. The police are as bad as the criminals and the government is even worse. We're living in a pressure cooker! Working harder, and longer, for less money that will by less things, and we miss our families, and our leisure time is not that leisurely.

It's only going to get worse I'm afraid.

Your police and government are just getting too heavy-handed. That's what is going to make it worse.

BUT, they could argue that he felt threatened...

Well, HE can't. That's for certain.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Erongaricuaro

I agree, but then you look at This Thread, and the folks are just begging to violate everyone's right, and thinking they have a right to know everyone's secrets, while at the same time criticizing the cops?

They just don't realize everytime they beg to regulate someone else, they are losing some of their own freedom at the same time. The same people protesting the police heavy-handedness, are the ones begging for the government to do more to help them! They want to have their cake and eat it too! They don't understand that personal responsibility goes both ways. If you want the police out of your lives, then stop calling the police for every little disagreement and idle suspicion.

It is going to get worse, because the populace is increasingly more helpless with increasing victim mentality.

posted on Jul, 16 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Obviously you have 0 clue and just want to argue but I know people who have been served no knock warrants late at night and it was the wrong house - 2 of them keep a loaded gun but fortunately the police entered the house before they woke up or they too may be dead. the cops shot the wrong person and I believe they would do anything to minimize the blame including but not limited to placing a firearm on the body.
edit on 16-7-2012 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join